Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Corrosion Prevention Guide
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Zagato
Site Sponsor 

Corrosion Prevention Guide

Having worked on quite a few Discoveries I thought I would put up a guide to help others who wish to treat and prevent rust to their vehicles themselves similar to the 55 page long one I started in 2011 for the sister Defendender2.net forum. This is not my thread, it is to help us all so please feel free to add your own comments that may help others and keep the thread updated.

My name is Chris Calvert from CC Automotive, a rust prevention company I started from the demand for more involved, thorough work with Defenders. E.g. For Defenders my work is not a quick wash and thick splurge of Waxoyl hiding any lack of preparation and trapping in rust. Link to Def2.net thread here http://ccautomotive.co.uk. I use Dinitrol and my work runs at a slower more detailed space, even down to treating the air inlet screws and spring clips. I do not advertise and do one to two vehicles per week through recommendations and the Defender2.net forum. I now treat classic jags to brand new Land Rovers, motorbikes to mini buses and clients come from as far away as the Isle of Man, Scotland and France including a foreign Prince Defence secretary, not that I have ever met the fella of course Laughing His entourage decend on me in black suits, limousines and said vehicles to be treated Shocked People ask where Zagato comes from, the famous car designer who only ever got one car right IMHO, the Aston Martin DB4GT ZAGATO!

The Product.

I have used Waxoyl many years ago but the technology has moved on. Hopefully this thread won,t get bogged down with pages on this issue. It has all been said before, many times over many years perhaps start a new thread if you wish. Well known epoxy based products such as Dinitrol and Bilt Hamber are the products I and other proper professionals suggest! Bilt Hamber has it,s drawbacks for the do it yourself owner as the aerosols are very long making them difficult to use in confined space and getting the last quarter of the contents out. The finish can be streaky and patchy depending on what you use and it remains tacky picking up all the road dirt. Dinitrol 4941 underbody wax dries to a smart matt black finish that does not pick up the road dirt so that is what i use as well as clear coat 'Corroheat' for show or brand new cars.

You can buy complete kits of Dinitrol from Rejel.com which include aerosol cans of;
RC900 Rust convertor,
ML Cavity Wax,
4941 Underbody Wax,
You can also get boiler suit, mask, extension nozzle, ground sheets etc.

E.g. https://www.rejel.com/din02/

Other products can be added such as Stone Chip Protect Super 447 or Corroheat if you want any areas done in clear/opaque. You can of course buy kits suitable for a compressor if you are lucky enough to have one.

Another weapon against corrosion is ACF-50 especially where electrolysis happens betweens aluminium and steel in Land Rovers.

The Process.

Despite what many manufactures claim you have to "rub back" I.e. Wire brush, grind, sand etc as much rust as you can get off, I mean take it back to bare metal if you can. Acid convertors like RC900, Ku-rust, Fertan, Jenolite etc are all pretty much the same with a 5-9% acid content. They will NOT penetrate and cure even pitted surface rust, especially weld points, seams etc... You have to put the time in and get it back to near fresh metal if you can. Some products like the original POR-15 and Buzz products claim to stop rust, they don,t, you are just putting on an impenetreable rock hard coating where the rust won,t show through BUT it will be rotting away underneath! Good products in some circumstances on new metal for instance on rebuilds.

If you don,t have air tools a good cheap DIY tool for taking rust off believe it or not is the Black and Decker sander KA900E or use a knotted wire wheel on your angle grinder. The B&D can grind completey through metal with a rougher grained belt so be careful!

Once the rust is taken back treat with RC900 or an acid convertor of your choice. RC900 is lethal, a paper mask or holding your breath and runnnig away won,t cut it. You need a professional mask from Moldex for instance with correct filters and even then it can get into your lungs!

Next is to use a thin layer of ML cavity wax followed by the final coating of 4941 underbody wax. Your box sections and cavities can be treated with ML cavity wax using the 360 degree extension.

I did this 16 plate Discovery with very low miles when it was a year old! LR metal is not primed properly they start rusting on the assembly line. Get them done with a clear coat as new as possible and it will save a lot of time, money and hassle later on.

Ten years down the line

This shows the stages of rust treatment on an older model.

This can all be prevented if cars are done from new as they don,t have any protection. 1000 new Mitsubushi's are being Dinitolled as we speak. It is a shame folk spend £500 on rip off supposed life guard polish but not the same amount (or through me less Wink ) on stopping your car from rotting away, including engine bay brackets, doors, interior etc

Post #20068117th Dec 2018 2:00 pm
Zagato
Site Sponsor 

A very nice forum Discovery completed and collected last week. It was a 2012 model so the rust was caught at the right time before it got worse... Prevention is the key Wink Many thanks Peter, nice to meet you Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Post #202063620th Jan 2019 9:41 pm
dgardel

Italy 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi Zagato,

Glad to see you here too!!!
 Discovery 5 tdv6 HSE Corris Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License

Post #202071921st Jan 2019 12:39 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zagato
Site Sponsor 

Morning Sir Thumbs Up

Post #202074821st Jan 2019 10:07 am
NJS5

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Chris can you give me a guide for the cost of treating a 2016 D4 Landmark, and an indication of when you might be able to treat the car please?

By PM if you like.

NJSS

Post #21512773rd Jun 2020 2:16 pm
Zagato
Site Sponsor 

Hi, NJS5 I have just spent a while writing a response for you which did not post for some reason AHHHH! BUT to repeat it all in short hand £600 -700 depending on vehicle, useage, your requirements. Guessing on £600 with clear coat for a 2016 but easier to discuss on phone 07484160070 from Friday as away from work despite full bookings, hectic, looking at end of June for bookings. Thanks for your enquiry, we will speak soon or pm me your number, aplogies for rushed response this time Thumbs Up

Post #21513293rd Jun 2020 5:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >