Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

Cost of fitting a new boiler
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Cost of fitting a new boiler

Any central heating folk on here? Would anyone know the cost of fitting a new boiler to replace an old one in exactly the same position. Its not a combi just a straight forward open vented boiler with tanks in the loft. I know the price of the boiler, more or less, so just wanted a rough idea of cost to fit it.

Post #200293522nd Nov 2018 2:23 pm
sasdiscos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

I fitted my own, brought from boilers direct online. Then had a plumber do the final connection and commission.

It’s worth it to save money if you can. I was quoted 3k for boiler and fitting. Top of the range boiler from bd was about 1k. Then 100 quid for the plumber to check and sign off.

Steve
 You remind me of a younger me, not much younger mind...perhaps even a little older!  
Post #200294122nd Nov 2018 2:43 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think you'll find most decent plumbers will want to supply and fit as if there are any warranty call outs that comes out of their pocket and by supplying the boiler they get better discounts than you giving them extra margin over just fitting to cover such eventualities.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #200294222nd Nov 2018 2:55 pm
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Gas or oil? Here in Ireland We are just starting to look at changing our gas boiler and the plumber has said it has to be done by a registered gas fitter, also all the gas pipework has to be updated to current spec in the entire house. Also for the boiler guarantee, the entire system needs to be flushed properly. So make sure you compare like for like work.

Post #200294322nd Nov 2018 2:57 pm
stew 46

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

I would say around 250-350 if like for like change over Thumbs Up
 -------------------------------------------------
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
ausa dumper, muck truck .
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #200294422nd Nov 2018 2:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It took a competent and well practised plumber/heating engineer a full day to "swap" old for new boiler. Inevitably there's more to it, such as having to drill a larger hole for the vent, different mounting holes etc. etc.

I was also going to buy all the kit myself and have it fitted, but none of the plumbers I contacted (inc. a couple I've used for a lot of work on various properties) would do that. I had to settle for a good supply and fit deal. Although I did get a 10yr Worcester Bosch warranty as a result, as the chap used was on their approved list.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #200295022nd Nov 2018 3:19 pm
terryall

Thanks for replies. I was quoted £2750 for supplying and fitting a new Worcester Bosch top of the range boiler. Its not a straight like for like swap as our boiler is 16 yrs old and, as LT says, there is no doubt a lot more to it than I imagine. The engineer is coming again this afternoon as I asked him to quote for a combi boiler and that will be more expensive. I believe the boiler cost is around £1300/1400 so over a grand to fit seemed expensive...but what do I know. It's Sod's law really as I've sold the house and will be moving probably next spring so not good timing.

Post #200296222nd Nov 2018 4:18 pm
stew 46

What is the boiler output ?
if you cant hold on dont let go , it ill come in handy for something even if you never use it.
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #200296422nd Nov 2018 4:29 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
terryall

stew 46
I'm going to get a combi boiler and getting full details and price tonight but I think it will be a Worcester/Bosch Greenstar 38CDi Classic and if so the output is 14L/min and central heating output is 30 kw.We can't have the floor standing one as we don't have enough water pressure ( or at least I think that's what he said).

Post #200297422nd Nov 2018 5:01 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I was quoted £14k to take out my old internal oil boiler and install an external oil boiler plus the pipework.

Found a young local plumber who wanted the business who let me buy all the kit I needed (WB Greenstar external, new water tank, and smart heating system) and then just charged to install. Boiler and parts cost me around £3k (managed to blag trade discounts), fitting cost was also £3k so saved about £8k over a "reputable local boiler company"...

Just shows if they want the work the price will come down... if they don't then you're stuck! Plumber that installed it was also WB qualified so no problem with extended warranty...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #200297822nd Nov 2018 5:33 pm
Discomadness

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

If it’s a like for like heat only boiler I would say as stew has that anywhere roughly £250-£350 depending. It’s one of those things though. Without seeing it it’s hard to say. Conversions from heat only to combi will be a fair bit more expensive as there’s much more work involved.
You think a grand for labour is expensive ? Get British Gas around to quote you. Make sure your day down when they do. Me and a few lads back worked some of their quotes a few weeks ago and their average labour price for a combi swap was anything from £2000 to £4000 JUST FOR THE LABOUR ! And they offer finance “deals” where with the interest works out to over £10k for a combi boiler swap.

As for “top of the range” and Worcester Bosch being used in the same sentence... not in my opinion ! I have just as many calls for them breaking down as Ferroli, valiant etc. And their parts are expensive. If your on oil I hear Good things about grant but I’m not oil registered.
Ideal standard are going to hammer the market soon. If your a registered installer they can give 12 year warrenty and 5 years on their controls and filters. The company i sub contract to instal easily 10/15 ideal boilers per week in new build properties and I am being honest here in the last 2 years not 1 single warrenty call where we’ve had to get the manufacturer out to repair.
 Jarrod

Current : D3 2007 HSE - AKA the lemon
-beanie grille
-detango with led bulbs
-club body off rebuild. TWICE. 

Post #200298322nd Nov 2018 5:50 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

nigethecat wrote:
I was quoted £14k to take out my old internal oil boiler and install an external oil boiler plus the pipework.

Found a young local plumber who wanted the business who let me buy all the kit I needed (WB Greenstar external, new water tank, and smart heating system) and then just charged to install. Boiler and parts cost me around £3k (managed to blag trade discounts), fitting cost was also £3k so saved about £8k over a "reputable local boiler company"...

Just shows if they want the work the price will come down... if they don't then you're stuck! Plumber that installed it was also WB qualified so no problem with extended warranty...

That's a big factor for sure. The only plumbers I know and trust are flat out all the time.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #200298722nd Nov 2018 5:59 pm
stew 46

I have the plumber that subcontracts for us coming to my place in a couple of weeks to change a couple of parts on our old oil fired combi at home and that will cost me 27.50 per hour , a morning should sort it and that's cheaper than fitting a new oil fired combi Shocked , but when I do have a new one next year it will be a grant out side one Thumbs Up
D3 SE 05,
110 s wagon 300 tdi SOLD
h top transit
crew cab transit
transit connect
peljob 2.5 digger
06 L 200 crew cab 

Post #200300822nd Nov 2018 7:21 pm
Pelyma

England 

We have a Grant outside boiler, fantastic Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #200301522nd Nov 2018 7:36 pm
highlands

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The pump went on the c.10 year old Ariston combi boiler in our rental house.
Plumber said c.£350 to replace the pump but recommended getting a new boiler installed for c.£2k, before he would add on some to replace the 15mm for 22mm gas supply that's now required.

I bought a good used pump for £10, delivered, and it took under an hour to fit, flush and bleed, including dosing up with Fernox, so just under £20 all in, plus a bit for my labour, although I reckon I'd have used the same amount of time dealing with the plumber doing the job.

I also got a very nice condition 2nd hand version of the same boiler for £60 for parts in case anything else goes wrong, although if anything on the gas front I will pay the plumber to sort/check it over.
 Black 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto (Gone)
54 TDV6 SE Man (killed by me Sad

Post #200302722nd Nov 2018 7:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >