DISCO4.COM > General

Courtesy cars - is this normal??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Courtesy cars - is this normal??

I have just booked my D3 in for its first service. Very easy, just phoned them up and gave plenty of notice by booking it in for the 27th June. My reason for this was to ensure that I could get a courtesy car, as I really do need the car for work.

This is no problem, plenty of courtesy cars available for that day. However, I am told that I need to phone the dealer 3 working days in advance of the service, to get the details of the courtesy car so that I can get a cover note from my insurance company that shows I have fully comprehensive insurance for the courtesy car. I have to produce this before they will hand over the keys. I also need to produce my driving licence and a utility bill.

This is not how it has been in the past! Volvo just needed to see my certificate, The independant dealer I used for my D2 did not look at anything.

My insurance certificate says I am covered for "any car loaned to the insured by a motor trader whilst the vehicle with the above registration mark is with that trader for service or repair"

When I questioned Guy Salmon about this, they said that was not sufficient, and needed a specific cover note.

I think I will take a day off, much less hassle.

Post #374825th May 2005 4:54 pm
Ecosse

I have had this problem with the LR dealer here - although they did not ask for any evidence, just for me to sign confirming I had comp insce for their car. It is apparently a problem from LR themselves who won't fund insurance for the courtesy vehicles - it contrasts strongly with Audi & BMW who openly say they will provide a fully insured courtesy car (just like a hire car is) & you just pay for the petrol. Oh, LR have a long long way to go before they match the service levels of the premium European manufacturers Wink

Post #375025th May 2005 5:48 pm
ducati

Here in the United States, your insurance carrier can claim "not covered" if you don't alert them you will be driving a rental/hire car before you take posession of it. This happened somewhat recently to my centre--a customer came in, took a loaner, and subsequently totalled it in an accident. His insurance company refused to pay because 1) it wasn't a rental/hire car and 2) he didn't alert him to the situation before he took posession.

This was splitting hairs with respect to the law, obviously, but this insurance company got away with it. Now all customers have to sign a waiver form claiming they will carry insurance, alert their carrier, and pay $5 a day rental (which they are only actually charged in the event of an accident) to prevent the centre from having to eat the cost of another Freelander.

Sounds like something similar could have occurred to your centre.
 '05 LR3 HSE

Departed: '62 Series IIA, '02 Freelander, '03 Disco 

Post #375125th May 2005 6:23 pm
gasdoc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I was only asked if I wanted to take out a £15 collision damage waiver. This was then dismissed as I had to have my day tent rplaced!

Post #375825th May 2005 8:57 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Shukers are great !

Shukers in Ludlow just want to see your driving license and then off you go in either a Freelander, Defender or last model Discovery... I believe they will soon have DISCO3's for customers as they get rid if the older cars.

All you pay is for the petrol used.

These guys also love their Landies and have an old series 1 (I think) called Bessy in the showroom sometimes.

-s

Post #375925th May 2005 9:10 pm
gilmore

England 

Merlin Landrover in Nottingham required my insurance details and that I get explicit temporary cover on their courtesy car. When I challenged them on they they said that it was something to do with Financial Services Authority regulations and that they were nolonger allowed to cover loan cars themselves.

Post #380026th May 2005 8:28 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Worth a 95 mile drive to Ludlow then ?

-s

Post #380226th May 2005 9:24 pm
Ecosse

gilmorr wrote:
something to do with Financial Services Authority regulations and that they were nolonger allowed to cover loan cars themselves.

Might be interesting to see what the FSA says about that story Wink Sure, the sale of insurance based products is now tightly regulated (even VAG got caught out & have had delays in selling insurance backed extended warranties!) but how could them keeping a loan car that belongs to them & is insured by them in any way be selling insurance unless of course they were trying to charge you for the insurance/hire.

Post #381026th May 2005 10:14 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 

I’ve also come across this with non-LR dealers. I think it’s a bit ironic that when I bought my D3, the dealer arranged “driveaway” insurance for me there and then – this is basically free insurance for a week, so you’ve got 7 days to sort out getting your own insurance amended, rather than have to worry about getting things changed and cover notes faxed and posted before you can pick up your new car.

I know that the company providing this (can’t remember who it was, but it was one of the household names) hopes that at the end of the 7 days you’ll choose to continue your policy, but why they couldn’t extend this to hire cars, even for a nominal “admin” fee, I don’t know.

Post #383527th May 2005 12:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >