Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Cranks but won’t start?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hooversdad

United Kingdom 
Cranks but won’t start?

Hi all, Help ! My son and I have just rebuilt the engine on a 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 XS that he bought with the dreaded crankshaft knock. We removed the body ( easier than we thought!) and removed and stripped the engine to find No6 big end bearing failure and a lot of oil in the right hand exhaust and turbo. We suspected turbo seals failed and the oil pressure dropped enough to damage the big end bearing. So, crank reground, new mains and big ends, new con rod in No6, both turbos refurbished by a reputable turbo company (£750, ouch!) new oil pump, cam belt, tensioners and idlers, new fuel pump belt and tensioner. Engine resembled and dropped back in the chassis. Whilst it was in its bare state we fitted new suspension arms all round, anti roll bar bushes front and rear, new discs and pads all round, cleaned and resealed all callipers and cleaned off the chassis and gave it a smart new coat of black paint! Last week we dropped the body back down and connected up the essentials and started the engine. A bit of an issue was it would not crank off the button on the dash but this turned out to be it needed the brakes bleeding so that the ECU saw brake pressure ....clever stuff! So, satisfied with our engine repair we set about putting all the lights, bumpers wheel arch linings etc back on. Last evening we locked the car with the remote on the key to check all was well but decided to leave it unlocked in the workshop overnight in case the alarm went off and annoyed our landlord! This morning we noticed the car was locked with mirrors folded in and when we unlocked it and tried to start it it spins over but will not run? I think he immobiliser has kicked in for some reason? Can anyone give any helpful advice please on how to resolve this? Thanks.👍

Quick update! Spent all day checking wiring and looking through fault codes with my Icar Soft 930 with no success. Got to 5:00 pm and I was about to give in and remembered something about crankcase blow by causing no start 🤔 So, as my son cranked the engine I removed the oil filler cap and she burst into life 😁 However, she does have clouds of white smoke coming out of the exhaust ☹️ ( I mean clouds, it is like a steam train!) Not sure what is going on with this engine but clearly it had some other issues that maybe caused the original big end bearing failure. Not sure where to go next but I guess it will involve body off and engine strip down .....again 😩😩😩

Post #21599569th Jul 2020 12:26 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >