Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

CRANKSHAFT FAILURE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
rmneill

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 3

I have been reading with woe the stories of the TDv6 engine failures! I have my own problems now on my fiancées D4... 2011. We purchased the car in Sept 2017 from a local independent Landy dealer. She was previously a BMW driver but I persuaded her that she should get a Landy for the space. The car was at 145,000 miles. It came with a 6 month warranty from the dealer. Within 2 days.. reduced engine performance messages started appearing! At 146,000 miles about 3 weeks later... crankshaft failure with the engine sounding like a bag of spanners. No warning lights .. nothing! After investigation dealer admits liability and says he will fit new engine. He takes 7 weeks to fit new engine. We get car back and he has fitted a reconditioned engine from a company called NWS. Is anyone familiar with these guys??

2 weeks later.. reduced engine performance message reappears. Car goes back to garage. Never actually find out from dealer what issue was that time. Car makes a number of trips back to dealer for more niggles. It has an oil change at 500 miles and 1000 miles as per garage instructions to maintain the recon engine.

2 weeks ago... on way to airport.. 6,000 miles into new engine... without warning (only warning light or message centre message was ‘low battery’) car stops on motorway!! We have car recovered and miss our flights. Car back to garage. Diagnosis... engine seized!! Dealers response.. it’s your problem now!! I have the engine drained and there is only 1.3 litres of oil in it!!

I had been periodically checking the car for oil on the electronic dipstick. Never flashed up any issues. Dealer is saying poor maintenance isn’t his issue and basically it’s our problem now! Flipping car has been in garage as much as we had driven it!

I own a 3.6 TDV8 RR Vogue and 3 defenders bit this has really tainted my thoughts on LR at the moment!

Dealer is quoting £12k for new engine.. tough to stomach at this point in time!

Post #195404715th Jun 2018 6:18 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
Tens of thousands of engines fail across all manufacturers every year ...show me a single death.

It was actually a genuine question as I have never had a car engine mechanically fail on me.

Worst I’ve had is a puncture in a rear wheel, and that’s in over 30 years of driving.

So, in my ignorance, I’ve absolutely no idea if engine failure would affect handling ability or not, so not unreasonable for me to ask someone it has happened to.

And if in fact there were handling issues, then that has got to be worth highlighting.

If Honda were required to replace airbags in 10-12 year old cars because there ‘might be’ metal fragments within the mechanism that ‘may’ cause eye damage should the airbag ever be deployed, then surely it’s not that far of an imaginative leap to hypothesise that LR ‘couldk be required to rectify engines that have a known and LR verified manufacturing defect that could result in sudden failure whilst in use, if of course those failures had the potential to expose the driver, passengers or other road users to harm.

Post #195437516th Jun 2018 5:20 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I would imagaine if you were halfway through a high speed manouver and the engine quit that could be quite dangerous.

Post #195437616th Jun 2018 5:32 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I suggest you search the forum & internet - NWS are well known:-

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic129222.html?highlight=NWS

Moo wrote, in this thread https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/help-replac...p;start=15:-

[url]Be very wary of companies offering refurbed units and fitting. There are lots of dodgy set ups out there and a few famous ones in the South East that keep going bust and setting up as a new company on a regular basis.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/compani...estigation

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1544921

http://www.rac.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?...USE/page30
[/url]

Good luck, keep us posted.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #195440916th Jun 2018 10:59 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

XDAndy wrote:
DG wrote:
Tens of thousands of engines fail across all manufacturers every year ...show me a single death.

It was actually a genuine question as I have never had a car engine mechanically fail on me.

Worst I’ve had is a puncture in a rear wheel, and that’s in over 30 years of driving.

So, in my ignorance, I’ve absolutely no idea if engine failure would affect handling ability or not, so not unreasonable for me to ask someone it has happened to.

And if in fact there were handling issues, then that has got to be worth highlighting.

If Honda were required to replace airbags in 10-12 year old cars because there ‘might be’ metal fragments within the mechanism that ‘may’ cause eye damage should the airbag ever be deployed, then surely it’s not that far of an imaginative leap to hypothesise that LR ‘couldk be required to rectify engines that have a known and LR verified manufacturing defect that could result in sudden failure whilst in use, if of course those failures had the potential to expose the driver, passengers or other road users to harm.

I appreciate it is a genuine question. ..however you seem to miss my point ...all manufacturers have a known engine failure rate ...some are better than others ....JLR sits roughly in the middle ( WD data not mine ) ...in those failures there are patterns of what has failed but the precise cause is not wholly identified or down to a batch etc.

The way far too many people talk on this site is that failures are in isolation to LR rather than looking at the whole picture of all manufacturers ....so again I say show me a death caused by engine failure ...you have more chance of dying getting out of bed tbh

Post #195441016th Jun 2018 11:05 am
3disco

It’s an interesting thread and must say in over fifty years of being a mechanic I have never changed an engine because of a broken crankshaft but then again I never worked on late discoveries some progress in engine design seems questionable to say the least! Shocked

Post #195451416th Jun 2018 7:38 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Seen a couple of trucks with broken crankshafts.

Post #195456816th Jun 2018 9:56 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

None with 50k miles, I’ll bet Wink
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #195460217th Jun 2018 7:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Is it time we started collating data regarding how the car was being used at time of failure and just before? interesting suggestion that it's uneven cooling on motorway trips that might be the cause.

Post #195461517th Jun 2018 9:21 am
garrycol

Australia 

Interestingly, here is Aust other cars with the same 2.7 engine such as the Ford Territory, Jaguar and Citroen don't seem to have the same crank failure issues as the Landrover product.

The Territory engine is the engine of choice when the Landrover engine fails and needs replacement here.

in other parts of the world are the other makes suffering the same failures as the LR product?

Garry

Post #195462717th Jun 2018 10:33 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

we get the odd Jaguar crank failure, but the cars are lighter, so not as much strain.

Africa seams to have the most problems on Disco

Post #195463617th Jun 2018 10:59 am
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Two interesting reads

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showth...Lion-Motor

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showth...k-Failures

But @DG, damn right! Way my wife leaves shoes scattered around the bedroom floor, it’s a miracle I haven’t broken my neck from tripping over them.

As for the WD stats, isn’t that for all LR engines, not just the TDV6’s? WDs rating for the disco (all models) is at ‘poor’

Post #195485117th Jun 2018 11:53 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Yep you are right.... all engines in the 2004> Discovery D3 \ 4 ....and overwhelmingly the highest volume of engines sold were the T\SDV6 in the UK where WD operate.

Thanks for the thread links but we've been discussing this for years so there's little new for me to see tbh Thumbs Up

Post #195485318th Jun 2018 12:19 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I think all these stats and figures are meaningless, you can read what you want into them. As DG says, any engine in any car can and do fail from time to time.

It’s the extortionate cost of replacement that bothers me.

Post #195487218th Jun 2018 7:32 am
grumpygit

More Engine Seizures in RR Sport/TDV6 engine

updated with age and mileage
We own a 2011 with just over 100k miles.

Wife was (luckily?) driving at 30ish through 40 mile limit and car lost all power. LR main dealer replaced alternator as that had seized but found knocking noises, so whole engine replacement recommended at 16k. LR offered 20% contribution, clearly not worth it. Anyone had any success taking the garage owner to court as per papers found on Internet? Tried the first salvo but garage say they are determined to fight it vigorously as I have no proof it is crankshaft failure? LR dealer claiming that SSM71816 does not exist and refer instead to SSM72928, published in August 2016.

Last edited by grumpygit on 6th Sep 2018 8:33 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19813406th Sep 2018 8:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >