Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Crankshaft failure On Disco4?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Bos

England 

I had almost exactly the same symptoms with my 2011 too , but mine didn't actually stop running and I had no lights on the dash. Speak to Joe at Oval autos, I think you'll find the repair could be quite a bit less than the figures being quoted here - all according to how much damage you've actually got. Then of course you have to weigh up the difference between selling yours for scrap or as a runner and add in the cost of buying a replacement vehicle to see if its all worth it, but if you like the Disco you may well decide to keep it - I did .
As for prices, admittedly yours has done 70k more than mine but WBAC offered me 14k a couple of months ago!

Post #226222915th Nov 2021 1:19 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

popsdosh wrote:
Lol at least 12k for the land-rover engine and fitting by independant. It will have no warranty if not fitted by franchised dealer so 16k plus
My 16 plate just having new engine fitted under warranty, not sure I could ever relax with it again so will be sold. Really need 3.5t for towing or would be straight in a xc90, looks like VW only option.

Not true I'm afraid. You can buy a genuine LR recon engine with 24mths warranty starting at £6k depending on the type and it doesn't need to be fitted by a dealer to qualify.

Throw in fitting plus any extras and you'd still struggle to get it to £10k
 Joe  
Post #226224015th Nov 2021 8:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

LR will not cover the fitting cost on warranty if not fitted by Franchise dealer been in the middle of it right now and lots of coversations with JLR . I have been extremely lucky compared to many and engine cost has as much to do with the level of bolt ons needed ie Turbos and EGRs. In my case the oil filter was full of bits that made the decision easy as to the add ons

Post #226224115th Nov 2021 8:29 am
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

This might be a daft question, but is there any preventative maintenance which can be done to reduce the probability of this happening?
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #226224215th Nov 2021 8:30 am
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No apart from not using it to do what it was advertised as .

Post #226224715th Nov 2021 8:46 am
Scott #55

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

That's what I thought. Just so I don't feel stupid if it happens and I could have done something about it.
 2014 - D4 2010 HSE Nara Bronze
2012 - FL2 2009 GS Stornoway Grey
2001 - VW Passat Estate Inky Blue
1999 - Ford Mondeo Light Blue
1998 - Rover 25 Red 

Post #226224815th Nov 2021 8:49 am
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

popsdosh wrote:
LR will not cover the fitting cost on warranty if not fitted by Franchise dealer been in the middle of it right now and lots of coversations with JLR . I have been extremely lucky compared to many and engine cost has as much to do with the level of bolt ons needed ie Turbos and EGRs. In my case the oil filter was full of bits that made the decision easy as to the add ons

Again, not true. If we buy an engine from LR and fit it, then it fails within the warranty period, then LR will replace the failed engine themselves. It does not come back to us to be replaced.

This is my conversation with our dealer that we buy from..

So basically what this means is that the customer, at their expense, has to get the car to a dealer (any dealer?) and pay that dealer the standard diagnostic fee (£185?) to confirm the engine has failed, then get the car to the garage that fitted the engine (us) for them to remove it and send it to the supplying dealer (you), who send it back to JLR to strip it down to confirm the failure is covered.

This is not correct, the dealership themselves would replace the engine and the labour would be covered, there is no need to come back to yourselves.

I assume the customer will also have to pay for the incidentals that come with us replacing the engine such as gaskets, oil, etc?

No, this would be included as its classed as consequential parts that must be changed for it failing.

In the instance where the initial dealer diagnostic does not correctly identify the cause of the failure, say run dry of oil (which would only be seen when JLR strip down the engine) and therefore no warranty, all the expenses (labour, new engine) go to the customer?

Yes that’s correct the customer would not be covered if this is the case 😊

So there you have it. The gamble is if it was a genuine core engine failure or caused by some other factor and the customer is now liable for dealer prices!
 Joe  
Post #226227215th Nov 2021 10:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

How many replacement engines from LR fail then in your experience?

If none then might that suggest they have a secret fix (have you looked inside to check..?) or is it too soon to tell?
Is that a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty Laughing

And what wriggle out do they stipulate? Must have this engine serviced by a dealer? The only good service I have got from my LR is from their spares department.

There must be data on what engines go and a pattern formed and maybe linked back to A.N.Other on the production line as I read that the "recall" in APAC said it was an hour's work to check if it was a doomed engine. Was that just lip service, how many got a free replacement or none did and PR stunt and another gamble not to do any remedial work from JLR? Would like to get a look at that list.

Personally, I drive mine like I have a rev limiter until it is up to temp and drive it like the car it is - heavy and not a sports car until then.

Maybe that and regular oil changes might help Question
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #226228315th Nov 2021 12:32 pm
OvalAutos

United Kingdom 

I've not had heard of any failing, but that doesn't mean they don't. Yes, unlimited mileage.

The usual wriggle stuff is that only genuine LR parts are used when building up the reman engine. So any gaskets, filters and so on. We only use Castrol Edge Pro engine oil, so that's the dealer stuff anyway.

We buy brand new genuine cranks from JLR** and I can't see any difference. Maybe the material has changed?

**Correction. We don't buy the cranks from JLR directly. But they do come from the OEM via a distributor. They are the real deal, not copies.
 Joe  
Post #226229215th Nov 2021 2:03 pm
popsdosh

I was only basing my comments from my direct conversations with JLR . Sadly the biggest hurdle was getting a dealer local to deal with it as they knew Approved warranty would not even pick up the tab for diagnostics. Luckily the dealership I bought from picked it up and is dealing with it ,should be back with me at the end of the week . Worryingly they have four vehicles in the queue for new engines.
Have to chuckle rather than cry that it costs £185 to diagnose a siezed engine. I could write a novel about this particular incident its been 8 weeks so far.

Post #226250416th Nov 2021 8:04 am
Nikki

Australia 

Scott #55 wrote:
This might be a daft question, but is there any preventative maintenance which can be done to reduce the probability of this happening?

An "in between regular service" oil change from a dealer with the correct oil specs.
 2003 D2a Auto TD5 good Landy gone
2015 D4 probably the most amazing yet, why get a RR? 

Post #226393125th Nov 2021 7:31 am
Rjefferis

United Kingdom 

Sorry to revive an old thread here, but as a new (used) D4 owner with very limited technical knowledge of them. How much work is it to get all the way to the crankshaft for inspection / replacement pre failure?

Having read through a load of the horror stories it doesn’t seem like there is any pattern life expectancy on them. But surely new crankshafts are not still being produced with the same problems!

Wondering if it’s worth stripping the engine and replacing the crankshaft and / or bearings at some point.

Thanks

Rob

Post #23035039th Aug 2022 8:52 pm
popsdosh

The crankshaft was never modified as the engine constrains what could have been done . LR just accepted the hit from those that failed and fell within what they would replace for customers . Sadly they never got the hint from the engine manufacturer of the scale of the issue as they stopped using it a long time before JLR. Ford are now using a modified crank within that engine design but that cannot be retrofitted without major machining in the block if indeed at all. JLR were still selling that engine up until recently so now the failures are coming through in Disco5s as they clock up more miles
I am not sure any inspection in situ or out would be very helpful as they seem to go at will without any warning . From a cost point of view you wouldnt save much as the work would be the same and you could go to all that expense for something that may never go!
If your that worried I suggest selling it now . I have a replacement engine in mine however its still a lottery as to that one going!

Post #230383712th Aug 2022 5:04 am
motorworks

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I am not convinced that crankshaft failure is simply a design fault, experienced by unfortunate owners at random.

Evidence of wear on the conrod shells is apparent at modest mileage, less than 100k. For a short time on every cold start, there is excess clearance and high stress on the crankshaft until the engine heats up with oil circulating.

This should not result in failure, but it's likely that the number of cold starts and initial driving are an aggravating factor. The 3 litre engine delivers substantial power, and is pushed even harder with remapping.

Maybe the best approach is to be prepared for engine failure, with funds available to repair or replace the vehicle if necessary. In most cases it will not be needed. Regular servicing and a little patience can improve your Disco experience.
 Chris  
Post #230392712th Aug 2022 9:23 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Do more remapped 3l cranks fail?

Post #230392912th Aug 2022 9:49 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >