Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

CROSS OVER PIPE REMOVAL THREAD DIY.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
cmb2020

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Aintree GreenDiscovery 3

How much would a garage charge to do this does anyone have an average estimate please?

Wondering do I do it myself or my mechanic do it in exchange for my own services in return as a deal. If the price is equal to my own service

Thanks
 Disco 3 SE Manual 2005 V6 2.7
Buckley, North Wales 

Post #22762911st Feb 2022 1:55 am
rac060804

United Kingdom 

Hi all
Well I am in the process of trying to replace my cross over, to say there isn’t much room is an understatement!! I’m struggling to remove the rear pipe from the Edgar cooler (may have the wrong name. Lol). The bit that attaches to the manifold with two bolts….. in fear of it snapping

As anyone tried removing the exhaust to get to the near side cross over pipes? Is there any mileage in doing it??

As for cost, I was quoted £2200 in the midlands to do the job……..

Cheers

Post #229237320th May 2022 1:34 pm
wedgev8

Germany 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This sounds very very expensive.
I think removing the gearbox from under the car using a car lift should work. 6 to 8 hours in a good Workshop.

Post #229239620th May 2022 6:27 pm
halliday51

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Trex-on wrote:
Hi Darrel.

If u look through the driver/ of side front wheel arch using a torch you may be able to see the problem providing its the Cross over pipe, but to make sure if you remove the engine shield from underneith you will be able to reach up and check the COP using your hand, while the engine is running. Generally it is the flexable sections that fracture or burn out.

You are looking at a good days work, doing this how described providing you have decent tool that have fine ratchets since some of the COP bolts and heat shields have little space to allow you to shift the tool, so these have to be shifted in small incraments at a time. It's definiately not the easiest job doing this in situ but will save you a small fortune!.. The pipe is around £500 and can be purchased with a forum members discount Through D3 by contacting the Big one.

Best of luck.

Regards Kyle

Hey Trex well done on this. Did you check to see if the old blowing pipe had melted the housing to the rear Drive BELT like in this video

Post #229531411th Jun 2022 10:43 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

rac060804 wrote:

As for cost, I was quoted £2200 in the midlands to do the job……..

If it does inculde a brand new pipe, maybe it isn’t
but otherwise if you devide 2200 quid by 12 hour work, incl a body off-body on it will be 180 quid an hour Shocked
At least that is not what we pay an hour at this side of the pond…were 55 till 75 € is more common (incl VAT that is)
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #229534612th Jun 2022 10:05 am
halliday51

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

There is a company in the midlands in Great Bar called https://jmblandroverservices.co.uk/. He is a good guy did my Rear drive belt without body off. He has small HANDS Laughing Laughing Razz

Post #229545312th Jun 2022 11:50 pm
Doughboy

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

Got mine off tonight.
Big relief the diagnosis was right after that palarva

Post #230199428th Jul 2022 9:46 pm
ledsam

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3
Crossover Pipe Removal a little info that may help

Hi All,
Well after reading this write up https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic116505.html (many thanks Trex-On) I thought i would have ago in removing my crossover pipe so I can replace it.
The write up is spot on however having removed my crossover pipe I've got a little info that might help?
1, The Exhaust nut's are 1/2" not 13mm this is why so many people round the nuts off even using 6 sided sockets.
2, Remove the front prop shaft. This will make life so much easier.
3, You do not need to remover any EGR cooler units. I only removed the EGR pipes as I also blanked these off these at the same time.
4, Before removing the crossover pipe you will also need to remove the fuel filter.

Tools I used
1, 3/8 sockets set. this included 1/2" socket 6 sided. (I would say a multi point socket will work but safer using 6 sided.
2, 1/2" spanners that you can cut down. This was used for the 2 impossible nut's, the first being drivers side, nut nearest the engine. The second is the passenger side top nut. What i found was a long push bar 50cm x 5mm x 15mm help by pushing on the spanner to crack the nuts loose.

The crossover pipe will come out nice and easy from the drivers side, I was surprised how much room you have.

I've got to fit the replacement unit this week but my hands need a little rest Big Cry
If anybody needs more info i might be able to help. I'll update once new unit fitted.

Just for Reference refitted new 8mm nuts that use a 13mm spanner.

Good luck and many thanks
 My 4x4's
Disco 3 2.7D SE 245.000 miles Life still left just needs TLC
Disco 3 2.7D E should never have sold
2 x L200 pickups great work horses
RR P38 4.6 V8 HSE Petrol tanker in tow
RR P38 2.5D HSE You have to love those German engines
Disco 300tdi SE Fully kitted out (why did I sell?)
Disco 200tdi Sold to upgrade 

Post #234266918th Jul 2023 9:06 pm
Akers

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have the unenviable task of replacing the crossover pipe this weekend and I'm not sure of the best way to approach it.

I have access to a workshop with a 4 post ramp for the day and understand that taking the body off is the most logical approach but I'm not sure that's an option with a 4 post.

Would the most simple approach be to remove the transmission or try it in situ like the guide in this post?

Any advice is appreciated.

Post #234481910th Aug 2023 7:13 pm
ledsam

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi Akers,
to be honest, If you have a four poster then the gearbox removal option may be better. After speaking to my local JL services they told me another way to make life a little easier without removing the body. I was told to jack up the front end of the body? i was told to leave the rear body mounts in place but loose and remove all others then jack up the front end of the body. No doubt you will need to look out for other things. I was then told this gave much more access to the hard to reach areas. so even this would help on a four poster. I hope this helps.
I would say with the correct tools you can do this in 6 to 8 hrs. good luck and enjoy Rolling with laughter
 My 4x4's
Disco 3 2.7D SE 245.000 miles Life still left just needs TLC
Disco 3 2.7D E should never have sold
2 x L200 pickups great work horses
RR P38 4.6 V8 HSE Petrol tanker in tow
RR P38 2.5D HSE You have to love those German engines
Disco 300tdi SE Fully kitted out (why did I sell?)
Disco 200tdi Sold to upgrade 

Post #234482010th Aug 2023 8:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >