DISCO4.COM > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Cruise to the Baltic- things to do?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Slug

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Cruise to the Baltic- things to do?

Hi all.
Wife & I are heading on a 14 day cruise up to the Baltic in a couple of weeks, stopping at 2 days Copenhagen, Tallin, 2 days St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm & Berlin.
Just wondering if you’ve any suggestions of “must do’s’?”
Also which and how much currency is needed?
Have got the Germany visit sorted already.
Cheers all for any advise given
 Still lurking, although moved to the dark side: disco5.co.uk
2019 D5 HSE
2019 Baby RR First Edition 

Post #194485213th May 2018 5:10 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

doing similar in july with p and o

Post #194493613th May 2018 9:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Slug

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Have done a couple of P & O trips elsewhere but this one is with Celebrity.
 Still lurking, although moved to the dark side: disco5.co.uk
2019 D5 HSE
2019 Baby RR First Edition 

Post #194495413th May 2018 9:27 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Cruise to the Baltic- things to do?

Slug wrote:
Hi all.
Wife & I are heading on a 14 day cruise up to the Baltic in a couple of weeks, stopping at 2 days Copenhagen, Tallin, 2 days St Petersburg, Helsinki, Stockholm & Berlin.
Just wondering if you’ve any suggestions of “must do’s’?”
Also which and how much currency is needed?
Have got the Germany visit sorted already.
Cheers all for any advise given

In Helsinki and Tallinn you’ll be fine with Euro. Stockholm Swedish crowns (SEK), Copenhagen Danish crowns (DKK), St. Petersburg Russian Roubles (RUB). All the Scandinavian cities will accept credit and debit cards practically everywhere. Not sure about Russia.

In Tallinn there’s a nice maritime museum called Lennusadam (seaplane harbor), plenty of interesting stuff like a submarine, mines, a few planes, etc.. It’s walking distance (few km) from the ferry terminals. Old town is nice but kind of a tourist trap at the same time, particularly in the summer.

Here in Helsinki there’s a Barbie exhibition at the national museum. Let me know your interests and I can suggest something to see here. If you’re interested in seeing an old fortress, go to Suomenlinna. Easy to go to. There’s a small war museum, too, and an submarine called Vesikko there. Depending on interests, you could take the local train to Aeropolis station (almost to the airport) and visit the aviation museum. Plenty of planes, both civilian and military. The Finnish maritime museum is nowadays in Kotka, probably too far away (= long day trip from Helsinki).

In St. Petersburg you want to visit the Hermitage museum (or your wife might want to). If you’re into military history you have to go to the central naval museum. It’s really good and really large.

Denmark, Stockholm have plenty of places starting from royal palaces to museums.

Assuming you’re not going to eat all meals on the ship, plenty of good restaurants downtown in all cities. If you’re here on midsummer day at least Helsinki will be completely empty and all stores closed. Thumbs Up

Post #194495613th May 2018 9:31 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

had our excursion book in the post yesterday..about 8 excursions per port to select from...not easy if you don't know the territory...some are 7 hours long with 6 hours of non stop walkin..trying to go for the easy life...9 days of this...ha ho look up and keep smilin

Post #194498713th May 2018 11:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dubhdubh1

Estonia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

Well - kajtzu nailed most stuff just perfectly. It really depends what are your interests.

Here - https://www.visittallinn.ee/eng/visitor/see-do/sightseeing - you can see most of the sights in Tallinn with a picture to help you decide in advance. Bear in mind though that most of our sights are small - not really "hours of fun". Smile There is more around the country, but I understand your trip is limited to Tallinn.

And please - you can visit the old town, you can walk around there, go shopping etc - but do avoid the area for beer and food. You'll be invited into the restaurants, but those are the dictionary examples of tourist traps and crazy expensive. I can't really give you specific advice, but here - https://www.tallinnrestaurantweek.ee/restaurant/o/?lang=en - you should find better places and also better food IMHO. A bit more difficult to find, but worth it.

If you drive around I suggest downloading and using an app called Waze - available on iOS and I think also on Android. Heavily used here and very up to date in terms of police, accidents, traffic etc.

Should you have any trouble - send me a fourm PM and perhaps I can assist somehow.

d@Tallinn

Post #194512214th May 2018 1:24 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >