Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

cruise control not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
andy.p

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
cruise control not working

I have just got my first D3 and discovered the cruise control is not working! read loads of posts and went as far as getting set of switchs from a breakers yard from a RR sport, fitted them and hey presto the cruise control worked first time, however left over night and tried it today and nothing Evil or Very Mad so stripped it down again did continuity test on the wiring loom and everything was ok so no breaks cleaned all connections and put back together with connection gel to improve the connection as surgested by local LR dealer but no joy. stripped down again must be the clock spring!! tested the continuity all fine so a bit Censored off now, anyone got any ideas, my brake lights work as do the stereo controls on steering wheel. It's a 2006 TDV6 auto.

Post #20986099th Nov 2019 3:12 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

The loom are know to break down so even if it show's continuity it may be breaking down so change the loom in the wheel there not to expensive to buy look on the bay you may find one Thumbs Up
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #209872410th Nov 2019 8:01 am
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Bet you a coffee the brake light swicth is in fact two switches, one for brake lights and one to knock the cruise off?

Post #209872610th Nov 2019 8:26 am
andy.p

Thanks for the advice I may just bite the bullet and get a loom direct from LR as I have 2 looms the original one on the car and the one from the donor steering wheel and both show full continuity even when wiggling them whilst connected to multi meter, also will get a new brake light switch as they are quite cheap from JGS4x4 a local LR speciallist near to me.

Post #209873410th Nov 2019 9:44 am
Rockdrummerc

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

I've been working on a similar problem recently:

I've changed:

- Switches
- The small steering wheel loom
- Clock Spring
- Brake light switch
- Brake and reverse bulbs (yes!)
- Battery

Unfortunately I bought a pattern switch and I've paid the price as it's caused all kinds of issues with the ABS. Got a genuine one going in today; which should sort it.

Get it plugged in and you'll be able to work it out - if it's loom/clockspring you'll see

"P0578 Speed Control Multi-Function Input A Circuit is Stuck"

If you're still having issues after that - it's worth checking out the connectors on the TCCM module (black box behind the battery). The connectors can corrode.
Often you'll find issues with the brake switch/lights cause Xmas tree dash; HDC, Special Programs and suspension. If you're not seeing any of those symptoms, I'd be inclined to say the switch is fine.

Also - the looms often show continuity when buzzing them out but the little metal contacts warp over time and stop making proper contact with the switches/clockspring. So you're best off biting the bullet for a new one to rule it out; that said you did try connection gel.
The clocksprings also fatigue over time and can show continuity in one position; but lose it as the wheel is turned.

Post #209900711th Nov 2019 2:58 pm
andy.p

I have used all LR parts so far, got a new LR loom,clock spring and brake switch comming in the next day or so and the donor steering wheel was from a range rover sport but only used the switch pack and loom, that worked straight away but as I said the next day it did'nt! The car is 13 years old and new to me so I expect I will be shelling out a few quid over the next few months to get it up to spec. Not had any warning lights on dash as of yet and all the radio functions work fine and the switches all light up including the extra phone and voice buttons I now have from the donor wheel.

Post #209902311th Nov 2019 4:45 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

A simple test with a MM does not always show broken wires, best to test them under load with a bulb Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #209903411th Nov 2019 5:13 pm
andy.p

Thanks for all the advice, went the whole hog and replaced the loom in steering wheel with LR part, brake light switch just in case,as brake lights worked, and a clock spring non LR as too costly if it was not that so got a 2 year warranty one of the bay for £23.00, looks identical even down to the lock tab and sticker so will see how long the cruise control works for, so far every time Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #210101320th Nov 2019 9:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >