Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Cruise Control on Snow or Ice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Cruise Control on Snow or Ice

On the radio here a person talking about driving in bad weather suggested that when driving in bad weather especially Snow Ice or heavy rain don’t use cruise control as even a slight wheel slip could confuse the cruise control which might lead to loosing control and crashing.

Post #190340719th Jan 2018 10:59 am
Triplet3

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

I think it only becomes an issue if you start aquaplaning. The car could get confused. It will try to keep you at the set speed. If that speed has decreased because of aquaplaning or skidding it will try to accelerate even if you are still aqua-planing.

In reality, most people hit the brakes if they start planing or skidding which will disable the cruise control anyway.
 1995 Discovery 1 300TDI
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 - Gone
1979 Series 3 109" - Gone 

Post #190341019th Jan 2018 11:19 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

I’ve experience snow on CC once when I hit avalanche debris on the road. The car was all over the place, with CC pulling me forward before I could kill it. Not something I want to do again. Advice to not use CC on snow prob very sensible, on snow good throttle control is very useful, you don’t have that with CC.

Post #190342119th Jan 2018 11:45 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Any one who tows and uses cc will understand why, when speed is reduced because of resistance or load like going up hill or snow the cc will "hang on" in that gear as long as possible until it gets the signal to change down which can be as much as 20mph from the set speed, when it gets that signal and changes down the car shoots forward like a scalded cat, it can be frightening in good weather let alone if there is a covering of snow. In a two wheel drive car without doubt a driver would lose control, it is impossible to react fast enough.
If Like changing down on a manual GB and flooring the accelerator!- just what you don't want in snow or ice.
The original D3 GB software was very bad for this, much improved on later model years or later GB software.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #190342719th Jan 2018 12:05 pm

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Good advice.
I never use cruise control on slippery surface, for example the cruise control can be quite aggressive on the throttle to regain set speed, when you on slippery surface need to use very soft input on throttle, brake and steering in order not to loose the surface grip.

Post #190342819th Jan 2018 12:09 pm
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Re: Cruise Control on Snow or Ice

Erea wrote:
On the radio here a person talking about driving in bad weather suggested that when driving in bad weather especially Snow Ice or heavy rain don’t use cruise control as even a slight wheel slip could confuse the cruise control which might lead to loosing control and crashing.

Just common sense. I'm sure owners manuals used to state this.

Post #190343119th Jan 2018 12:31 pm
CarlW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I've no experience but surely as soon as the traction or stability control systems detect any form of slip/slide they disengage the CC?
 Disco 4 Landmark
Mercedes Benz SLK CDi
BMW 335D Touring
Defender XS SW 2010 - gone
TDV8 2008 RRS - gone
Disco 3 HSE 2005 - gone
BMW R1150GS 

Post #190345519th Jan 2018 1:32 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Not when I hit snow.

Post #190345919th Jan 2018 1:40 pm

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

CarlW wrote:
I've no experience but surely as soon as the traction or stability control systems detect any form of slip/slide they disengage the CC?

Then it can be too late, if CC is applying a bit of abrupt power in an uphill curve or when changing lane to overtake on a snowy motorway, that can be enough to loose grip and contol over the vehicle.

Post #190352019th Jan 2018 3:34 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I’ve driven “always” with cruise control on in the winter and have not had issues.

I do:

- drive conservatively
- observe situational speed
- drive with studs
- if wet don’t drive in the channels where most of the water is but a beside them

I’ve done a “360” driving the car as a teen, in the fall with old summer tires and got scared Censored Thumbs Up learned my lesson, though.

The D3 has the winter/snow program on and it is great. Previous vehicles have tended to have a “winter” mode in their transmission (Mercedes especially) which made the rear wheel driven vehicle safe to drive in the winter....

Post #190352719th Jan 2018 3:50 pm
M3DPO

CarlW wrote:

Not necessary so, traction control and stability control can only detect slip between wheels, if all wheels are slipping by the same amount traction control can do nothing, believe me you will not have time to do anything except hit the brake hard which will add further to your problems.
The first time it happened to me it was frightening and that was on a dry road with the caravan on the back, I was going over the brow off a hill and I thought the car was going to take off, SWMBO was screaming at me to slow down, but that is normal Laughing

Post #190352919th Jan 2018 3:54 pm
al cope

England 

@ M3DPO - not snow related, but the CC on my D4 even when towing 1800kg of 'van doesnt drop by 20mph before it does anything about it, even on steep hills. Its usually 2 to 3 Mph down and CC is kicking in and is accelerating. Its much more reactive than the D3 seemed to be.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #190353319th Jan 2018 4:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

Yes definately, I purchased and installed the latest GB software from GAP for my D3 and it was the first improvement I noticed, the surge of power had been greatly reduced, the D4 is even smoother, but still there.

Post #190353619th Jan 2018 4:08 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Triplet3 wrote:
I think it only becomes an issue if you start aquaplaning. The car could get confused. It will try to keep you at the set speed. If that speed has decreased because of aquaplaning or skidding it will try to accelerate even if you are still aqua-planing.

Been there, done that. Censored myself Shocked
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #190371019th Jan 2018 9:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

As a side note, some cars turn off their cruise control (V70 at least) when they notice that one side behaves very much differently than the other or it starts wobbling. Example would be left side is in deep snow and the right side is on a normal plowed road. I guess it could/should be thought of as a safety feature.

Post #190371419th Jan 2018 10:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >