Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Cruise Control Only Works Intermittently
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Cruise Control Only Works Intermittently

I have an 05 SE which I bought 3 years ago. A year ago, the cruise control started playing up. The 1st time I put it on on a trip it would always work fine. The next time I put it on on the same trip it might work or it might not work. Once it had stopped working, the only way to get it working again was to turn the ignition off and then restart the car. It would then work again the 1st time but then may not work again after that.

Reading posts on here led me to believe that the fault was likely to be with the clock spring. The dealer checked it out at the beginning of March and replaced the clock spring under my Tesco warranty that I had at the time. For the last few months its been fine but on a recent trip to Manchester the old intermittent fault returned.

It's now back in the dealers and they say they can't find out what's causing the problem - they also maintain that there aren't any fault codes being generated. Is it likely that the clock spring that was fitted in March is faulty or could it be faulty switches or something else? Generally my dealer's pretty good but I think they need pointing in the right direction on this one!!
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #66408823rd Jun 2010 9:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chrisc

England 

My 06 s model does the same so will be watching this topic but don't really miss it if it's not working

Post #66409123rd Jun 2010 9:56 pm
philhunt

I don't use it a great deal myself Chris other than occasionally on French autoroutes and on stretches of roads or roadworks with average speed cameras. However, it's an option I want to be able to use as and when
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #66409423rd Jun 2010 10:01 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DrLex

Iceland 

When mine did the same, I found that I could trigger the switch-off of cruise by repeatedly clicking the increase/decrease speed rocker switch. Perhaps if the dealership plugged in a reader and tried to trigger the fault this way on a test drive, they might get to record the error code?
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #66409623rd Jun 2010 10:05 pm
pauleline

Netherlands 

I experienced the same as DrLex in our 2006 HSE. Repeatedly (quickly after another) pressing the decrease speed rocker switch causes the cruise control to switch off. Will not switch on untill car has been stopped, switched off and restarted.

Can't really be bothered to get it fixed by dealer since it will be expensive no doubt! Somehow I feel it's not related to the clockspring since all other controls work 100%. Maybe switch is dirty and needs a good shot of contactspray e.g. Will try someday.

Post #66425024th Jun 2010 12:13 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This is a known issue, at least your dealer should be aware of this!! Shameful.
There is a fault in the wiring of the CC buttons. Changing steering wheel CC assembly will sort your problems.
Easy to do your self. Part costs about 30.00 pounds from TLO.

Here a description on how to http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic50197.h...%2Bcontrol
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #66426324th Jun 2010 12:46 pm
philhunt

Any ideas why there are no fault codes being generated?

Post #66428224th Jun 2010 1:53 pm
Renton

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

philhunt wrote:

Don't know the answer to that.
But anyway, its a known issue of which many of us suffered. Your dealer should know this. Tell them to replcae the CC switches.
 CLUB ILLEGAL CAR WASHERS  
Post #66428624th Jun 2010 2:03 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

philhunt wrote:

If the car's system believes it has received a "switch off CC" signal (or a change in voltage to indicate such), then it's logical that no fault would be detected (and logged). Why one can not then switch it on until the ignition has been cycled is harder to explain- perhaps Pete (Bell), Wiggs or the GTR site could assist.

Trying £30 worth of switches sounds better than £100+ "clock spring", although you might find someone upgrading to a heated wheel who thus has an old spring spare.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #66431924th Jun 2010 3:54 pm
Q86ARR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Manual Bali BlueDiscovery 4

Also check the steering wheel wiring. Especially on the white plug that goes into the clock spring. Seen a couple of D3s with wires pulled out of the plug.

Post #66439624th Jun 2010 6:52 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >