D2 vs D3 vs D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
HWN

Wales 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4
D2 vs D3 vs D4

2015 Volvo V40
2014 D4 HSE
2006 RRS - C'est mort. Fin...  ...It's alive!  Oh no, it's not - scrapped.
2019 Suzuki Kingquad 400
2017 RamRod Taskmaster 1150
1977 John Deere 2130

Post #233478027th Apr 2023 7:40 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Interesting. The D3 suffered a bit with the tyres it seems. Would have been nice to see them swap the wheels between the D3 and D4 to see if the tyres changed the performance very much.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233479327th Apr 2023 9:23 am
qcnr

Norway 

Even better would have been same size and type of tyres on all 3 vehicles Smile

Post #233481227th Apr 2023 12:30 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’m no expert, but I would have used Grass/Gravel/Snow and not Rock Crawl.

On that loose surface a wider tyre with an open tread pattern would be the ideal.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #233481827th Apr 2023 1:15 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I think the move to rock crawl is because it starts off with the centre diff locked and the traction control in full "they shall not spin!" mode which gives people additional confidence. G/G/S gives a slow throttle response, which is nice, but doesn't always help especially on climbs. The centre diff will allow some slip between axles, too.

Having said that, it's amazing how well the system works just left in general mode. Raising the suspension and going in to low range means the centre diff is already more active than in normal road set up. I've driven quite interesting tracks in general Terrain Response and just raised height, low range, the diff is active and the vehicle just gets around fine. Selecting the special programmes only seems to be necessary in quite obviously specific situations.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #233483227th Apr 2023 2:55 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

From personal experience (on lanes in Wales), I’ve found rock crawl best suited to solid rocky terrain, where Low-range first gear is best.

In the video the D3 was struggling on what appeared to be a predominantly loose dust and gravel surface with just the odd fixed boulder. On such terrain I’d want to use a higher gear.

Better explanation on the use of the TR system here:

https://www.landrover.com/ownership/4x4-of...index.html

Thumbs Up
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #233483527th Apr 2023 3:21 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I too would have thought that rock crawl wouldn't be the best selection for the track in the video. Thumbs Up I think people use rock crawl in such cases because it feels like its going to give the best traction. And sometimes it does, especially where there is a step in the terrain.

Rock crawl can give a "jumpy throttle" response, however. G/G/S might have been better, although once they were stopped, G/G/S might not have been so helpful if the driver was a bit ham-footed because you can get low response and then suddenly a whoosh of power if you keep pushing on the pedal.

I've used rock crawl on a steep sandy but hard climb, for example, because it needed to be approached very slowly and thus I wanted maximum traction. 2nd gear low, rock crawl, a little bit of wheel slip and then up we went. But it wasn't a "rock" situation. Likewise, I've used rock crawl on a wet grass slope because G/G/S wasn't giving the diff lock I needed. Sometimes you have to play "off the play book".

I still think that for that track, I'd have just gone raised height, low range, no TR programme selected and then see how it went. Of course, videos have a habit of making terrain look easier than it is so maybe the track was much worse than it appears and rock crawl was actually the best option - especially the step that caused the D3 issues.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #233483827th Apr 2023 3:42 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I did see that movie last week…

Doing a comparison ,with complete different tyres, different drivers makes no sense imho…
The D3 was on pure road tyres, where the D4 had much more profile and more terrain suitable tyres.

A D3 and a D4 are not that different in off-road behaviour

You tube……. Lova and hate for me Cool
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #233485827th Apr 2023 7:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >