Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

D3 2.7 TDV6 Engine acceleration issue
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
BrettKaz

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Just to recap. It appears there may be 2x issues... boost variance and/or TC/gearbox. I would rule out the possibility of boost issue by hooking up your OBD and going to your local medium gradient hill and hit the loud pedal keeping a constant throttle position. You should hit 230 or 240kpa depending on your mapping and it should stay constant at that level. Unfortunately this only works well with a functioning TC but may be able to get a feeling for what is 'leading' the issue. Try holding different boost levels etc.

Ultimately though, mechanically speaking, revs can't increase unless the car goes faster or the TC doesn't transfer the torque.

Post #188074018th Nov 2017 2:31 am
Devilin1972

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

hi Bret
so followed your instructions and MAP reading at 3000rpm was 120pa maximum, the vehicle was cold, the acceleration up the slight hill was gradual reaching a maximum of about 40mph

MAF sensor was reading about 40Kg/s

No matter how i drove it i did not get over 120pa MAP reading

There is a significant delay in any response when pressing the accelerator with eventually a slow acceleration

Still getting engine system fault on the dash, no codes and no warning lights

Is this a faulty MAP sensor or the torque converter?

Post #188122419th Nov 2017 2:44 pm
BrettKaz

These values are about half of what you should be getting on both maf and map. This, combined with a sucking noise, suggests a boost leak... so turbo and actuator are probably ok. You should have fault codes spewing out though ... and leave a trail of black smoke in your wake? Also would have thought you should get restricted performance at this level of map ... meaning fuelling is markedly cut and the car feels like it's on 3 cylinders.

Your car looks pretty modded (D4 grill) so check your turbo hoses (there is plenty of info on here). If they are silicon then the small hose (next to the turbo) gives a distinct sucking noise if leaking... or rather the clamp (against the steel turbo pipe) slips off from vibration (check for oil residue on the Steel pipe or obvious slipped clamp. Silicon is not fit for purpose in this (small hose) application IMO.

Btw the delay in throttle response is normal for a turbocharged car. I wouldn't worry about the TC/gearbox... yet.

Attached are sorts of values (or just short of) you should be aiming for .. the maf values vary with air density but not significantly.

Edit: I should have mentioned that testing live values on the move is quite dangerous. You should use an obd port extender otherwise you may not be able get to the brake pedal. If you must don't wear shoes and definitely not work or hiking boots.

Last edited by BrettKaz on 19th Nov 2017 11:11 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #188141819th Nov 2017 10:35 pm
BrettKaz

Post #188142019th Nov 2017 10:36 pm
Devilin1972

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

Hi bret
The turbo has only just been changed so assume that is ok
I fitted a new silicone pipe and new jubilee clips to the turbo to steel intercooler pipe which I will check later
The other intercooler pipes are original
The pipe from intercooler to steel pipe has popped off at either end when Road testing the vehicle I have replaced jubilee clips and cannot see any damage or spilts etc
I have not checked the pipe from the intake manifold to the intercooler
I cleaned both the map sensor and the maf sensor could it be that both sensors are faulty or would I not be getting readings if they were ?
The odb is one of those cheap Bluetooth units that links to your mobile, I used free odb app that only allows you to view 2 readings at a time don't have access to a proper code reader

Post #188154820th Nov 2017 10:24 am
BrettKaz

While I believe silicon is not suitable for the small hose (turbo/steel hose)... jubilee clips (particularly with out the gripper lug that pierces the hose from underneath) are also not suitable for silicon. You need t-bolt clamps which have much higher compression needed for silicon.

My car has been performance mapped and carries 250kPa of boost vs standard of 240 and have had that Censored heat shield off about 12 times trying to get it right... until I got t-bolt clamps and still has blown off once.

Gary sized up all the fittings here:

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/turbo-silic...olt+clamps

One of the pro's on here used 2x jubilee clamps on one fitting to get rid the problem. How he did it I don't know .

You need to rough up the hose w/ 60 grit and make sure the hose and clamp have no oil on them.

I think your sensors are probably ok ... they are both consistent with low boost at the manifold. If you get rid whooshing sound (and I assume black smoke) they should come back into line.

Post #188157920th Nov 2017 11:26 am
Dazz360

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I know it’s been a while but was this resolved ?
 Metal auto sump & fluid change (3 hrs)
LR door puddle projectors (10 mins)
Tinted Bonnet wind deflector (10 mins)
All Intercooler pipes and Tbolts (2hrs)
3 injectors replaced so far (30mins)
Sunroof drain pipes both sides 2.5 hrs)
Rear discs, shoes,pads,callipers,flexi hoses, rigid brake line, n/s upper hub carrier bush and rear n/s upper arm (13hrs over 2 days) 

Post #20667637th Jul 2019 10:15 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >