Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Pete K wrote:
you would be better of with a late disco 2

Try and find one with a non rusty chassis Mr. Green

To the op
If you can keep a defender on the road, a D3 will be a piece of cake in comparison.
I came from a 90 (only car for 4 yrs) to the D3 ( now owned for 4 yrs) and it has been the lowest maintenance Land Rover I have ever owned.

Post #19879591st Oct 2018 7:24 am
ReadySalted

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I just sold my late TD5 90 CSW to get a discovery 3. Only a week into ownership of the disco but already I'm doing better than my defender. I bought the defender thinking if I spend good money, and buy relatively newish it would be reliable... wrong. It lived up to my worst expectations (I've had tdi defenders and discos before so knew what to expect), and cost a fortune to keep going. You don't mind spending a small fortune to keep your pride and joy on the road, but when your only car (that costs a fortune to maintain) doesn't even have working windscreen wipers, you have to begin to question your sanity. Rolling with laughter

Anyway the discovery may turn out to be a similar story, however my logic is that nothing can be as bad as a defender. I'd rather be on the side of the M5 with my bonnet up in a nice heated leather interior with comfy armrests, than a leaky, noisy, rattly, cold, defender.

Not sure any of that is help to you. But there you go. Very Happy

Post #19899888th Oct 2018 2:46 pm
ClassikFan

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Moo wrote:
The other thing to think about with he D3 is how long will you be able to drive it for? Many councils are looking at restricting older diesels or charging for access to town centres etc. I suspect my old bus will be banned from Bath in the next two years, maybe sooner.

You got me thinking with this comment Moo.
I live in surrey and drive to Putney once in a while. When the ULEZ is extended in 2021 the last mile of my journey will be within that area. I can drive in the zone for £12.50 (they say currently).
If I were to get rid of my Disco 3 to buy a newer Euro6 car I imagine I would spend a minimum of £3000 + the sum I got for a trade in or scrappage deal. Big Cry
If I enter the zone 13 times a year I could carry on with my current car for over 18 years before it cost me £3k in ULEZ charges.

Low emission zones are just a tax raising exercise in my mind. If they want to reduce pollution there are better ways of doing it IMO. I'll be in no hurry to get rid of my D3 if it still viable to continue running it.

Post #19900838th Oct 2018 7:39 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >