Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Off Roading & Green Laning

D3 recovery points and rating?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
diskelly

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
D3 recovery points and rating?

Last time I explored taking part in an off-road event (SLROC) I was told I'd need to add two recovery point bolts front and back before my D3 would be allowed on the course. Is this always the case? For snatch recovery needs each had to be rated 6> tonnes. Seemed the recovery point on the front couldn't be trusted as its not 'rated'.

If these are really needed does anyone know where I add recovery points at the front? Doesn't seem to be anywhere obvious Thanks.  

Post #88365815th Jan 2012 3:43 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Never heard of anyone being told to add reovery points to the D3 before, it has perfectly acceptable and well proven recovery points on each end Thumbs Up

I bet most of the vehicles which go off road couldn't stand 6 ton. The recovery point may be rated to it, but the rotten, knackered chassis they are fitted to would certainly give way!
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #88365915th Jan 2012 3:45 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

The ones on the car are fine for recovery, it's old school approach to recovery points that hasn't gone past Deafner & Series stuff where a "recovery point" was only a tie down point. The ones on the D3 (front & rear) are well up to the job. Thumbs Up

Post #88366015th Jan 2012 3:46 pm
diskelly

It did seem to throw the chap that I had a D3. Unfortunately he's quite influential in my local club and I didn't have the knowledge to argue my case. He said without a rating on the front recovery point the car would fail scrutineering.

Post #88366415th Jan 2012 3:52 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Progress is always slow, the car's only been out 7 years.

Post #88366515th Jan 2012 3:56 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

The points are perfectly capable and have proven themselves on many occasions ...in fact ISTR this being an issue on a previous event where members of the club involved said that they were concerned they might damage the D3 using the recovery points ...not impressed when I told him that the back half of his Defender would detach itself before anything let go on the D3 Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #88367015th Jan 2012 4:12 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

This is my D3 being "recovered" at Yerwell a few years ago. In reality the winch vehicle, and the D3 that was acting as anchor, were being pulled towards me. I was well and truely stuck. Whistle Embarassed Also done loads of kinetic recoveries in the desert, all using the standard recovery points. Thumbs Up The problem is where peeps are not used to D3s (and the odd RRS) being used offroad they assume they are the same as rusty old Deafners. Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Post #88367415th Jan 2012 4:19 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4
Re: D3 recovery points and rating?

diskelly wrote:
Last time I explored taking part in an off-road event (SLROC) I was told I'd need to add two recovery point bolts front and back before my D3 would be allowed on the course. Is this always the case? For snatch recovery needs each had to be rated 6> tonnes. Seemed the recovery point on the front couldn't be trusted as its not 'rated'.

OK I will admit I do not know anything about D3 recovery points

So what does your local club scrutineer mean by recovery points being 'rated'?

Do they mean WLL or UTS?

Do they except genuine JATE rings as 'rated' recovery points? They were NOT designed as recovery points. They were designed for use as both tie down points and lifting of Land Rovers by helicopters. Remember that LR had to design the Lightweight to be air transportable as helicopters used to have much lower carrying capacity and they use FOUR JATE rings for lifting purposes

Do they except a 'NATO' hitch as a suitable recovery points?
Sorry the 'Nato' hitch was designed as a 360 degree towing pintle. Light weight towing pintle is rated at 4 tonnes, the medium at 5 tonnes

Are aftermarket bumpers with recovery eyes mounted in acceptable for recovery purposes? Bumpers made by ARB/Devon/Safari Equip etc? Have never seen a 'rated' figure for them

Rear recovery points be they Southdown, Safari Equip etc are not rated.

Most if not all steering guards with built in recovery eyes are not rated

The standard shackles most often used in the 4x4 leisure area are the WLL RATED at either 3.25 or 4.75 tonnes.

The most popular TOW strap used in the 4 x 4 market are rated at 2 tonnes WLL

So that local club would have to BAN the VAST majourity if not all equipment used by most of their club members if they applied 6 tonne 'rated' rule

Would I suggest that someone is talking out of their rear orifice? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Post #88380915th Jan 2012 8:42 pm
diskelly

Leeds, good points, thanks. Yes, they accept JATE rings; it's what I was told to fit before they realised it was a D3 not a D2 Rolling Eyes So far no one here has said they've needed additional recovery points on the D3 so I think I'll have another chat with them. To be fair its their club and their rules; they'll have the best interests of their members in mind and they'll be the ones who have to sort out an unrecoverable vehicle on the course or the consequences of a snapped tow wire flailing at their stewards. I'll try a bit of friendly persuasion .. Wink

Post #88381915th Jan 2012 8:57 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

I have just spoken to a friend of mine who sets out and is a scruntineer at major winch challenge events. According to him there is no rating in the rule book for rating of a recovery point. However there has to be 'suitable recovery points' This is wide open to individual interpretation. What one person will accept as a suitable recovery point another may not.

Brendan

Post #88383815th Jan 2012 9:23 pm
diskelly

Right, so its down to the person on the spot. I'll ask around then until I find somewhere that'll let me have a little play in my LR3 - without butchering it to fit JATE rings!

Post #88386615th Jan 2012 9:51 pm
M30LRO

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Slroc-recovery points!!

It's my D3 G4 on there website it will probably Wayne you had the discussion with he said the same about my G4 D3 which my argument was if Landrover added no more recovery points other than the winch surely the car was up to it!!!
I have plenty of off road experience in all Landrover products and thought they really were over the top re recovery points on late Landrovers
Mark

This post has been edited by the site administration team
Commercial link removed ref:This Site Policy

Post #88387715th Jan 2012 10:02 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Does the car have recovery points?
Yes, the hooks front and rear under plastic covers, removed with a coin (see manual) are rated to the vehicle's GCM (Gross Combination Mass, GVM + GTM, so over 6000kg) and are used for recovery.

There was a promo photo when first released of several D3's suspended by the recovery points hanging from a crane
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #88395515th Jan 2012 11:20 pm
lespes

Guernsey 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Here we are Thumbs Up

Photographic proof, well video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fufTUpi3FU
 D4 Landmark MY16 Santorini Black THE LAST
D4 HSE MY12 Marmais Teal: Gone. Missed a lot!
Freelander 2 SD HSE MY11 Silver:Thankfully gone.
D4 HSE MY11 Silver: Gone missed !
Range Rover Sport MY06 HSE Buck Blue: Gone missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Facelift MY Red Gone Missed!
Discovery D2 TD5 Cobalt Blue: Gone Missed!
Discovery D1 Auto Oxford Blue Not missed at all!
Discovery D1 Avalon Blue First LR! missed!

Now demoted to a VW 

Post #88396215th Jan 2012 11:28 pm
leeds

Sorry lespes but that video proves absolutely NOTHING about the D3 recovery points.

Yes the chassis can take 10 tonnes, yes it may have one of the strongest chassis in the market place.

This discussion is about recovery points on the D3 which I will openly admit I know nothing about.

However I have done the odd tensile test and am fully aware how you can present data.

Yes that video is impressive.

However at about 30 seconds there is a shot of the underside of the D3 and you will see a massive red attachment device at both ends of the D3 chassis.

So that video proves nothing about the D3 recovery points

Brendan

Post #88397615th Jan 2012 11:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >