Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

D3 or Touareg
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
IBails

Australia 
D3 or Touareg

I was set to but a Touareg V10 TDi, second hand, but took a new disco for a drive and couldn't believe how great this car feels. I do a fair bit of 4WDing, currently have a 100 series Landcruiser Turbo diesel.I have driven the V10, and dispite the get up and go I felt the disco handled better, felt better, although I drove two different roads in each test. My question is has any one coompared the Touareg V6TDi and the disco, the 3 ltre Touareg has not made it to Australia yet and I am prepared to wait a little if the Touareg is worth waiting for.

Post #4849919th Mar 2006 11:47 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

D3 is way ahead handling, ride and of course off road. VW feels wallowing and sounds rough in comparison. Drove one once - it was enough.

-s

Post #4850119th Mar 2006 11:56 am
JMC

Scotland 

I saw a Touareg yesterday. Reminds me of a Nissan Primera...... I'm sure it's good at what it does, but it gets lost in the crowds. I also saw a Touran yesterday. Thought it was a Touareg to begin with. Get the point?

If you intend doing any amount of off-road, my guess is that it should be a simple choice - but it is your choice. Have fun!!

Post #4850219th Mar 2006 11:59 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IBails

Australia 
Touareg seems to get good oof Road reviews

I know the disco has a long off road history, daughter owns a diesel series 1 I have owned a range rover. Both good off road, but a lot more maintanence than the landcruiser. I'm interested if any one has driven the V6 diesel touareg just for information as to weather I sould wait till it gets out in September or go ahead with the disco. I agree from driving the V10 that the disco feels musch better on road than the V10.

Post #4862619th Mar 2006 10:29 pm
SN

The Top Gear email dropped through into my Inbox today - check this out

http://www.topgear.com/drives/E8/C1/roadtests/02/01.html
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #4864119th Mar 2006 10:43 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The V6 Toureg is a nice car to drive with the new 3.0L V6. The interior is lovely too, although the outside looks like an ordinary VW Passat. It's not as practical as the D3 either; more of town car than a true 4x4.

Post #4864319th Mar 2006 10:43 pm
IBails

Australia 

I just love forums, best thing out for research. Thanks for the link. You folks must be up late, it is morning here in Australia. Just got a call from a dealer who has an 05 HSE TDV6 16,000 klms for $79,000 plus taxes. You can do the conversion, but this is about A$17,000.00 of new car. I'm off to drive today if I can.

Post #4865419th Mar 2006 10:56 pm
Pelyma

England 

BN might be able to give you the low down as he had a good play in one.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #4879720th Mar 2006 3:07 pm
v8hse

Scotland 

Very Happy my wife currently has a brand new model vw touareg altitude 3.6 v6 auto and loves it. i had a boxster and a passat before the d3 but decided to go up market a bit and bought the discovery. i tossed over buying a touareg but prefered the looks drive and comfort of the land rover. i drive my wives car a lot when she takes mine and love it but in my opinion its the DISCOVERY for me Arctic Frost Arctic Frost Arctic Frost

Post #516512nd Apr 2006 2:47 pm
Pelyma

England 

Well there you go!

Post #516632nd Apr 2006 4:34 pm
IBails

Australia 

Well Folks , I've decided on a V10 Touareg. The disco would have done it for me but I thought I'd try the Treg since I could get into one for a decent price, and my off road is dirt track ,a lot of it. and I don't think I'll exceed the Treg's capabilities here.

I did think the disco was nicer to drive than the Treg, the Treg won on the civilities, and the capabilities of business car along with off road capabilities.

From all my reading it seems fuel will be about the same, power big plus to the Treg, space , well Disco, price, well if I optioned the Disco to Treg standards then the 2nd Hand Treg is much cheaper, Off road rough stuff Disco, accessories Disco. Spare tyre is an issue that I have to fix with the Treg but I believe I have a solution.

Nice forum and It has helped me a lot to make my decision. I may be back

Thanks

Bails

Post #517182nd Apr 2006 10:29 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Please do come back and let us know how you get on with it. It will be good to have some genuine comparisons from someone who has obviously looked long and hard, and appreciates both vehicles for what they are.

Good Luck Thumbs Up

Post #517232nd Apr 2006 10:36 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

yeah, have fun.

V10 Treg is an awesome diesel !

Tell us what its like so we can dream of the day we get a V8 diesel for the D3 or TC does some more magic with his ECU re-mapping Wink

cheers

-s

Post #517272nd Apr 2006 10:46 pm
IBails

Australia 

The engine was one of the big pulls for me. As I wanted some get up and go for daily business use, which is where a lot of my driving will be. I just thought the V10 is a vehicle I would appreciate in this environment. I also have a 2003 allroad,chipped, and I really like the performance of this vehicle. I think as a serious off road vehicle there is none better than the disco for innovative design and function, it probally would have got me if the performance specs were a little bit better. I went to the trouble of speaking to the dealer workshop forman, I go to the same Gym, and he basically said the only issues have been air suspension,well documented on this board, and a few front differentials replaced. The VW dealer happens to also be the Disco dealer , so I was able to get good comparisons. I expect to have issues with the Touareg also, I will have 14 months new warranty left on the one I'm getting plus can add another 2 years factory if done before new car runs out. This should get me sorted pretty much.

A V8 diesel would really be good for the Disco, 2.7 litres pulling a large vehicle means hard work. I wondered why they didn't opt for a 3.6 litre V6 diesel, by boring out the 2.7, this would seem a pretty cheap way to go for me,and if the power could have been pro rata to cubes then the power to weight would have been much nicer. It seems from the time wait to get a diesel RR Sport that the volumes would have supported this type of approach.

Anyway I'm sure that future development will go this way,and this may be the next car for me when it does

Best

Post #517382nd Apr 2006 11:16 pm
Pelyma

England 

LR has never had powerful engines which has been a great shame, the VW V10 would be awesome in D3. At the end of the day you have to pick a ccar that suits you and your circumstances best. Interested to hear about front diffs going, did they say anymore?

Post #517543rd Apr 2006 8:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >