DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

D4 13 MY brake issues....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3
D4 13 MY brake issues....

Gents,
Having read a variety of threads on front discs can I ask under what circumstances they have been changed under warranty... My car is just starting to feel weird under braking and almost feels as if it's surging ( or the braking equivalent) under light brake load...and in the last few days they have now started to send a shake through the steering... I suspect a warped disc....
The car is shortly due a service around 48k and am deliberating whether just to get the dealer to sort them or order a set and do them myself and save a few quid....
I had always presumed the brake discs were a 'wear' component and thus would not be eligible for a warranty claim?
Thoughts on a postcard? Very Happy

Post #13865039th Dec 2014 9:52 pm
Gdrinky

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I may be barking up the wrong tree but what your describing is exactly what happened to my wife's SLK, I was adamant the discs were warped as you could feel the surging and also there was a slight wobble. It turned out to be worn tyres, might be worth a look?

Post #13865069th Dec 2014 9:55 pm
Farmer Chalk

I hope not... They were brand new a month ago...replaced them with the standard Pirelli Scorpions so should be fine. I also watched them be balanced up and all were perfect.... Very Happy

Post #13865109th Dec 2014 9:58 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I have a 13my and its one and only major issue was a brake problem, caused by binding brakes overheating, and I got new disks all round under warranty. Problem as far as I know was related to the brake switch holding the pedal down slightly, enough to overheat the brakes under motorway use. They were almost on fire and it was not a shimmy but more of a tank-slapper though! Which made me stop and call out LRA.

Post #13865209th Dec 2014 10:06 pm
Farmer Chalk

Gareth, I think yours and my car are close sisters... I do loads of motorway miles hence the 47k but have not experienced anything like this...the car has been perfect until now.....
Just wondering whether with those miles it could be considered a warranty issue?

Post #13865519th Dec 2014 10:25 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

One can only ask Thumbs Up Worst case they say no.

Post #13865659th Dec 2014 10:33 pm
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

FC,I'm sure you will have read it,but worth having a trawl through this one.... http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic115809....consistent
Just to say,I tried the procedure as recommended by mik,and it made a big difference......not saying that's your issue,but have a go.....other than that,as Gareth says,what the worst they can say Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13865739th Dec 2014 10:43 pm
Farmer Chalk

Euan, you're the best...I had actually missed that one but the symptoms are exactly as Barnie suggested....which points out to an iffy caliper potentially... Will definately get on to the dealers....can be their problem...will keep you all posted...
Thanks to all for responding! Love you long time!

Post #13865999th Dec 2014 11:01 pm
BarryT

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Had the same symptoms a few weeks ago and turned out to be a faulty nearside caliper, get it seen to a.s.a.p. as mine got really bad on the way to the dealers, steering wheel vibrating violently on touching the brakes, when I arrived the disc, caliper and the wheel itself were so hot you could not touch them you could feel the heat as you stood by the wheel. The result was a new caliper, disc and pads on warranty, dealer was excellent and sorted everything.

BarryT

Post #138680110th Dec 2014 12:55 pm
al cope

England 

after 4 sets of discs and pads this year for exactly this issue (surging/inconsistantancy/steering shake under braking), and new front hubs, mines back in next tues, so will await outcome of next round at the dealers!

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #138682310th Dec 2014 1:21 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Farmer Chalk

Cheers chaps....it's booked in after a rather concerting moment when it went Pete Tong on me this afternoon... Had to heavy brake on the M23 and car suddenly felt awful and not very confidence inspiring.... Will let you know what they find.... Very Happy

Post #138701010th Dec 2014 6:37 pm
steveraspberry

United Kingdom 

Hope you get it sorted soon Iain Smile I'm guessing Beadles are being their usual helpful selves? I think they're great, just don't deal with Nicola on the service desk, she's a bloody nightmare! LOL

Hope you are all well?
 My17 Volvo XC90 Inscription
MY15 Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian
RGK Tiga Fx Wheelchair,
Large Alsation called Abbs Smile
Medium blue Staffie called Piglet
Medium Alsation called Bailey Smile 

Post #138737811th Dec 2014 11:12 am
Farmer Chalk

Well apparently it was due to 'discs running out of tolerance' and the discs were replaced under warranty...

So very pleased that I had got 47,000 miles out of them and then replaced under warranty....little bit surprised that the pads were not replaced just 'refaced' supposedly..
On hearing other people's issues we will have to wait and see if the problem resurrects itself requiring calipers to be changed but seems at present to be fine.

Otherwise absolutely excellent service from Beadles in Sidcup...car came back immaculate having been fully valeted. Was also serviced whilst it was in there. So should be good for many months now...

Had a new FFRR supplied as a courtesy car for a few days as well.. Was looking forward to it with it supposedly being the best car in the world...was left rather cold with it in fairness...really disappointed truth be told, found it to be wallowy but jittery, poorly damped, and a bit of a leviathan ....small awkward boot and a bit too ostentatious
Was glad to be back in the Discovery.... Perfect car!

Post #139282720th Dec 2014 10:07 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I'm surprised about the pads too but if they hold firm I would replace the pads for new ones yourself as soon as possible. Very cheap and very easy and avoids having issues when out of warranty.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #139283220th Dec 2014 10:11 am
al cope

England 

hope you have better outcome than me - now on discs and pads number 5. LR (not the dealer, but LR techies) say nothing else wrong, so all they will let the dealer do is replace discs and pads once more.

It feels fine again now, and I'm convinced its DTV in the discs, so to my mind it must be disc quality, even though these are genuine LR parts (made by Brembo). I just think LR find it a cheaper fix by just telling the dealer to replace the discs - looks like I might have a lifetime of new discs and pads every two months at this rate, as long as they are done under warranty (and the car is now out of warranty, but as this is an ongoing issue, LR covered it.

I've already said to the dealer shall we book it in for approx 2 months time Big Cry

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #139383322nd Dec 2014 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >