Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

D4 - 1st Service, Dealer or Indy and Warranty
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Magwhy

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
D4 - 1st Service, Dealer or Indy and Warranty

The first service is now due and I have contacted the local dealer who has quoted £440 incl Vat the indy has quoted £240+ VAT.

The indy has told me that they use genuine parts and it will not invalidate warranty?? Is this true.

Should I have any issues later, will I encounter any issues or resistance from LR dealers if I had the servicing via indy?

The dealer has offered a two service deal for £799 (£400 deposit and then 8 monthly payments for remaining £399) instead of 1st @ £440 and 2nd @ £640 saving £281.00.

There is a significant difference in the dealer v indy prices and I have read that some prefer indies as they they feel a better overall service is provided.

This is my first LR and I am sure most on here have asked this question. I would appreciate your advise / feedback to assist me in my decision.

Post #13068954th Jul 2014 8:39 pm
gje

Wales 

AFAIK

thanks to the EU removing 'block exemption' any VAT registered garage can do your service without affecting your warranty, provided they do it exactly to OM schedule sheets & use genuine OEM parts....

Post #13068994th Jul 2014 8:52 pm
MarsKy

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

My 1st service in 2011 was £350; my 2nd was £425; and my 3rd was £340.
All from a Land Rover dealer.
I was offered - and turned down - the service plan, as the "normal" 2nd service cost always seemed inflated to make the plan look good. On the day, the 2nd service was cheaper than both the "normal" or service plan quotes.
There is no way your 2nd service should come to £640.
Phone around the dealers for a comparison.
And you are still entitled to go to a VAT registered indy garage who offer similar quality parts.
The downside is that the indy will probably not be able to provide any software updates that the LR dealer may provide as part of the service.

Post #13069124th Jul 2014 9:20 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I've just had my 2nd service done at Team Valley Land Rover in Gateshead for £395.72, TVLR are a Land Rover service centre so they can do warranty work, they are just like a main dealer but without the showroom Very Happy Just had a look at the 1st service, that was £344 again at TVLR and in May 2013

Providing your indy follows the service schedule and uses genuine parts and as already mentioned is VAT registered you shouldn't have a problem.
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #13069334th Jul 2014 9:55 pm
Paddy0174

Bavaria And Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I can only speak for Germany (same EU laws), but I guess it would be nearly the same in GB.

If you don't make the service with an LR dealer, you won't get the good will from LR, if something is going wrong. Sure, you have your warranty, but especially in cases where it is not totally clear, where you need the good will, every service outside of an LR dealer would matter... Smile

I would always dothe first three or four years with an official dealer, rather than an Indy. Surely some Indys work better, but that doesn't count for your money...
 Cheers Patrick from Munich

Disco4 HSE / corris grey / MY 15
Harley Davidson FLHTCU / red / MY 91
VW Beetle Cabrio / toffeebrown / MY 14 

Post #13069764th Jul 2014 10:59 pm
Dave T

England 

Whilst it won't affect your warranty, using an Indy (even though probably better if you get the right one) it will probably devalue it for a trade in later on, is a couple of quid now worth maybe a couple of grand later on?

Shop around and be prepared to travel a bit and you should do better. I have 3 dealers closer than the one I use, but travelling once a year is better than going to the one 3 miles from my doorstep.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #13069874th Jul 2014 11:45 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Magwhy

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks Guys for the replies, I have decided to go with the dealer route to remove any possible warranty issues, I just now need to decide whether to go with the offer on the two service package?

Can anyone else confirm the prices that they have recently paid for a second service ?

I have phoned 4 of the most local dealers to me and all saying anything form £640 to £660 Shocked

Post #130956110th Jul 2014 7:36 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Try Shukers in Ludlow. Not too far from you I guess. I get a free loaner and valet (the car, not a personal valet mind).

£315 all in.

Post #130968710th Jul 2014 11:43 pm
Washwipe

England 

Another point to consider is any software upgrades, mine had two software updates on its first service, doubt your Indy will be able to do that. Let the dealer know that the local Indy is quite a bit cheaper, normally they will price match.
Your Indy does not have to fit genuine parts to keep up the warranty, EU Law states that the parts must be of equal quality or better.

If anyone is really bored, have a read.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/...XC0528(01)

Post #130970411th Jul 2014 4:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >