DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 Camera screen text and images go "low-res"
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RATA1

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4
D4 Camera screen text and images go "low-res"

Hello,
I have read that the cameras aren't exactly top-notch on the D4 but my issue is a bit weird. Looked on the forum but can't find anything similar.

The main screen is fine, nice and sharp fonts, and when I select any of the menus like extra features, cameras or 4x4 it is all good too.
The issue I have is that when I select the actual cameras or the settings, the fonts go all blury and the images are terrible. Best if described in photos:

Normal menu screen. Quality OK.

Select the cameras and this is OK too:

Click image to enlarge

But as soon as I click Settings it goes all 1970 VGA:

Click image to enlarge

And selecting cameras is terrible:

Click image to enlarge

I would have thought this is not as "as designed" and some sort of software issue or more likey a cable loose/crushed somewhere?
Where/what do the cameras plug into and what is the module called?
Is it the IPMB? My scan says "IPMB-Camera (Update available)" but this would suggest that it was like this when it rolled off the production line and never noticed.

I would guess that as it is all cameras and the text/fonts/arrows too it is unlikely to be a single camera issue and as it only shows when that item is selected then logically it can only be a duffo unit or the (coax?) cable from it to the screen/head unit rather than the head unit/screen itself. Am I on the right track..?

Or is this normal (please tell me it is not)? Big Cry

Photos actually don't show it a bad as it is ;(
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #212853816th Mar 2020 1:01 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Unfortunately it looks pretty normal to me.
Try putting Cameras into the Search function and it'll give you hours of enjoyable reading but no solution.

Post #212855516th Mar 2020 1:56 pm
RATA1

Just picked it up from a service and pointed it out to the tech. He went to get a level 4 tech for his opinion. Neither of them had seen the issue and said it didn't look right ( Thumbs Up ). They didn't have a car as well spec'ed as mine (they said that not me) to compare against in the workshop. Might be a get out but they did go and look for 10 minutes.
I was welcome to book it in for some investigation though....erm. I'll try to fix it myself first with the help on here Bow down
 In today's world, if you contribute something, you don't contribute enough. If you contribute nothing, you receive everything.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #212858116th Mar 2020 3:19 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

That isn’t normal. Motor up and fully forward the passenger seat. From the rear look at the camera module under the passenger seat and see if the brown FAKRA connector is in good condition and connected. If ok, follow the wire as far as you can and see if it’s been crushed anywhere. This co-ax cable runs into the passenger sill, under the rear passenger carpet and into the centre console area where it connects to another co-ax. It then runs from there to the FCDIM. I suspect you have a crushed or damaged cable somewhere.
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #212874417th Mar 2020 5:41 am
Dudleydisco

It all changed from MY14 onwards. MY13 and older have much better resolution on the surround cameras.
 D4 MY14 XXV - RLD/IID BT
D4 MY13 HSE Lux - RLD/IID BT
P38 RR - Sad parting
110 - Even sadder parting
S3 88" - Still going strong after 23 years of ownership Smile

Post #212877817th Mar 2020 10:31 am
RATA1

Yes I read that in other posts but the issue is the text/boxes not just the images. I will have a look at the module under the seat now I know where it is and inspect the cable (FAKRA - couldn't remember the name) to the unit in the centre console as advised by M3Bobby. As that is the logical place to inspect given the issue.
Might even get a FAKRA lead made up to swap it out to prove/disprove the cable(s) and go from there. I am hoping when I go and look I see where some foot has bent it but I don't think I am that lucky.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #212880317th Mar 2020 12:07 pm
RATA1

OK, so my luck wasn't about today as I wriggled the cable and checked for kinks and crush damage and couldn't see any. Removed the cable, checked it and plugged back in and the same issue and also power cycled the unit and no change.

@ M3bobby - where is the next joint you mention in the centre console area and what do I need to remove to get at it? I would like to bypass the cable from the unit under the seat to this point. Where/what is the FCDIM unit? Is the other end brown as well do you know and is it male or female?

Cheers.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #212883817th Mar 2020 2:10 pm
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

FCDIM is the (I think) Front Control Display Interface Module aka the screen. Can’t remember the colour but you could look on eBay for photos of the back of the screen.

I don’t think the MY14 on screen has worse resolution, I think it’s better! The cameras are certainly better and more reliable.
 012MY RRS 5.0 Supercharged Autobiography (Current)
Mods:
TPMS (Complete but got an issue)
Genuine LR DRLs (Complete)
Remote Boot close from key fob (Complete)
2016 Discovery 4 Mirrors AKA RRS2 (Complete)
2014 L405 Surround Camera retro fit (Now 2016 L319)
2013 RRS Dual View Screen fit (Complete)
2016 LR4 RSE (Complete)
2014 LR4 Homelink (Complete)
2016 FFRR Electrochromatic Wing Mirror Glass (Complete) 

Post #212888917th Mar 2020 4:54 pm
RATA1

Thanks. Front Control Display Interface Module - obvious now you said it.

It looks like a male brown FAKRA (as they are keyed) on both ends so I will need a female to female cable to connect directly. Thing is, China is probably in lockdown so eBay orders might be delayed as a lot of things broken between China an me...

I assume the side trims on the left and right of the screen just pull off and no need to remove the centre console where the gear knob is?

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #212890917th Mar 2020 6:43 pm
RATA1

Just an update. 2014 camera system is complete Censored as many before me have concluded. I took the dash out and placed a Fakra cable from the output under the seat directly to the back of the display.
Same crap image.
Got another camera module (under seat) and tried that.
Same crap image.

Can the <2013 module work with the 2014 other than connector changes? Probably not.

Why would this have ever got past design is beyond me. Ruined for the sake of a few £.

2014 Discovery XXV
1961 Series 2 

Post #21712382nd Sep 2020 10:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >