Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

D4 Commercial to 7 Seater Conversion
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

@Hensoni, you should be claiming 45p per mile for the first 10k, that changed in the last budget. Every little bit helps when running a Disco for business.

Post #82679618th Aug 2011 8:22 am
hensoni

United Kingdom 

Cheers,

I missed that!

About time too...
 Club missing my D3  
Post #82705218th Aug 2011 9:29 pm
draughtsman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
5 Seat commercial available in Ireland

As I understand it there is now a 5 seat commercial discovery available in Ireland.

Details at this link:-

https://sites.google.com/site/apluckwill/l...of-ireland

Does anybody know if there are any major obstacles in importing a car into the UK from Ireland, I am assuming that as long as it has a European certificate of conformity then it should be fairly straight forward.

Why can't we buy this model in the UK though.

Post #83490614th Sep 2011 8:46 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

could always buy a vat registered 5 seater and put a tachograph in it Whistle

Post #83492014th Sep 2011 9:58 am
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

character wrote:

wouldn't work for tax, has to be a van on the V5. The window tax then applies same as the defenders.

Pom

Post #83493414th Sep 2011 10:40 am
harryjamesinleinster

2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 Commercial Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 4
Re: 5 Seat commercial available in Ireland

draughtsman wrote:
As I understand it there is now a 5 seat commercial discovery available in Ireland.

Details at this link:-

https://sites.google.com/site/apluckwill/l...of-ireland

Does anybody know if there are any major obstacles in importing a car into the UK from Ireland, I am assuming that as long as it has a European certificate of conformity then it should be fairly straight forward.

Why can't we buy this model in the UK though.

Yes it is now available, though the bulk of deliveries will be arriving from the beginning of October. In theory these could be sold to UK buyers but there is the issue of the Vehicle Registration Tax to consider. The authorities over here are getting hot on vehicles being brought into the country in the "holding" state, i.e. where they are imported and held by dealer/distributor before being sold to the customer (it is only when sold and registered that the VRT is applied).

But, having said all of that, I am certain that some of the dealers here would be happy to take orders for this vehicle type from overseas customers, simply to further improve overall sales. Today I learnt that the new ordering system is now in use here meaning that it should only take about 6 weeks for specific orders to go through from order to delivery. But I suspect that such vehicles would have to be trailered back to the UK without plates........

And you never know, if enough people contact Land Rover either directly or through dealerships, they may well be persuaded to release a 5 seater commercial in the UK!

Post #83508014th Sep 2011 5:03 pm
harryjamesinleinster

2009 Discovery 4 TDV6 Commercial Manual Atacama SandDiscovery 4

character wrote:

No such thing as a 5 seater Discovery 4 except this new one in Ireland.......!

Post #83508114th Sep 2011 5:04 pm
qwick69

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Gents.
I too am looking to purchase a Discovery 4 commercial and then put rear seats in it.
I currently have a Navara V6 but dont really like it.
Can anybody advise me if you can do this so the rear seats look the same as a "car" version? i am having it speced with black leather so want it to look the same.
the people I am considering using are Nene, who say it will match and look identical to the car version. can anyone commenty?
Cost is araound £6k, but with the VAT and Tax I will save, it makes it worthwhile. It also save me having to have to cars, one for work and onr for family.

Post #90110724th Feb 2012 4:21 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Qwick69...

Welcome to the forum!

How many seats do you need? The thread seems to relate to 7 seats in a commercial but there are all sorts of options if you only want to look at the mid-row seating arrangements.

I have black leather for the mid-row seating but no 3rd row so only 5 seats however the moments when I think 'more seats would be useful' are very, very rare.

£6k?

Good golly.... I could have said more, but it would only be Censored by the Mods!

Rolling with laughter ... only Nene could justify this!

Are Nene proposing raiding the LR parts bin for this (or more likely, raiding the discarded seats from one of the 'normal' cars that they turn into commercials) as it seems rather steep, even if they are going to do all five additional seats for you.

You will possibly pick up from other posts that I have a concern about using original fit car type seats in a commercial as I think that it would be very easy for HMRC to argue that you had created a car and therefore should be liable for duty as such... not an argument that I would chose to fight!

As stated in my earlier post, my seats (and others on here) were done by Atlantech in Weedon - they do van conversions by the bucketload and their seats are deemed to be just that - conversions. They do a fairly standard D4 seat but I stood in their workshop and asked for something a bit more 'sculpted' and we were able to play around with options on seat foams, bases and such like.

The results are pretty close to original fitment in terms of look and our kids reckon they are more comfortable than the real LR items - put it this way, they are 15 and 13 (ie at moany stage in their lives...) and did 1,200 Km each way last year for Summer Hols, enduring French Autoroutes, traffic jams and the Paris Periphique!

I'm in Towcester if you want to run over and have a look - I have found it useful to keep the Commercial boot liner etc in place as I tend to cart all sorts around and the phenolic board and rubber mat are virtually indestructable and the blacked out windows prevent the ne'er do wells peering in!

Let me know if you want to have a look
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #90114324th Feb 2012 5:38 pm
qwick69

Thanks for that info, really usefull.
I was considering 7 seats !!!! I have three kids, and if one of them has a friend home...well.
I have checked with my accountant, and they seem happy with what I am doing...after all, 90% of its life will be for business, towing and lugging stuff around, oh, and carrying my two boxers around... Laughing
I hope to be going to see a Nene conversion shortly, but i may well take you up on your offer to look at yours. does the company who did yours have a web site?

Post #90115424th Feb 2012 5:53 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Not sure that we can put links on here for folks that aren't Forum Sponsors but if you type Atlantech into a well known search engine, it should come up!

Their web site is fairly rubbish - when you see their set up, they are a business that has obviously been going many years and the whole 21st century technology bit is rather beyond them... as long as the sewing machines etc keep going, they are fine!

Not sure about third row seats - my suspicion is that they would but that any resulting seats wouldn't have the finesse of the LR hide-away seats!

Hope this helps
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #90116224th Feb 2012 6:03 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

LiftedDisco wrote:
Not sure that we can put links on here for folks that aren't Forum Sponsors

Of course you are, especially as none of the sponsors do seats (that I'm aware of). Whistle

Waiting on DG's mod hammer to fall on my head from a great height. Wink

Post #90118524th Feb 2012 6:45 pm
pom

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

go original imo it looks so much better than minibus bench seats.

Pom

Post #90120524th Feb 2012 7:27 pm
APL

France 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

To spec up a Commercial to XS spec in the first place will cost you the best part of £40K, then you've got to spend out on the conversion to a seven seat, which also includes fitting all the airbags that they take out at the factory stage. They also remove the seatbelt mountings....

It would be cheaper to shop around for a bargain deal on a genuine XS in the first place, and less troublesome too....
 2016 Discovery 4 Commercial
2019 Discovery 5 HSE 

Post #90124224th Feb 2012 8:12 pm
qwick69

The reason why I want to buy a Commercial Disco 4 it Tax reasons. I run my own business and currently use a Navara. I do pretty high mileage and the D4 is a much better car to drive and a loy more comfortable. However, I also use the car/van for family use. It is much cheaper to buy a commercial d4, get in converted with rear seats and Windows and use that. i can claim all the VAT back on new vehicle, plus not get hit by massive tax bills. If I didnt pit the seats in, I would have to consider a 2nd car..which would be even more money.
As i will be spending £40k plus, I want to make sure its all above water, not dodgy and the tax man will be happy with it...

Post #90216727th Feb 2012 1:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >