Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

D4 after detailing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
M3bobby

United Kingdom 

I sympathise with you but I suspect it will be hard to prove. All the detailer has to say is that he’s never had any problems before and that he wasn’t given any special instructions or notice by yourself. Couple that with the age of the car and battery and I think any judge was decide there is reasonable doubt and that’s enough.

You could maybe try at first for the whole amount and then settle on a contribution to costs. He could even question why (he maybe was) offered the chance to correct the fault. Did you get a breakdown of costs as £994 seems a little steep (I genuinely have no idea).

Good luck!

Post #206944319th Jul 2019 8:56 am
mattgreen

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

just on a minor legal point - the burden of proof in civil courts is "on balance of probabilities" i.e. for something to be accepted as true the evidence would have to show it is >50% likley which is less onerous than in a criminal court where it is "beyond reasonable doubt" - which is a much higher burden (with DNA evidence for example the level of reasonability is something like 1 in 1,000,000,000 or 99.9999999%).

Judge is likely to expect you to have attempted some pre-action resolution (have a google for Practice Direction - Pre Action protocols).

Post #207178228th Jul 2019 11:01 am
Rockpaperscissors

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

M3bobby wrote:
I sympathise with you but I suspect it will be hard to prove. All the detailer has to say is that he’s never had any problems before and that he wasn’t given any special instructions or notice by yourself. Couple that with the age of the car and battery and I think any judge was decide there is reasonable doubt and that’s enough.

You could maybe try at first for the whole amount and then settle on a contribution to costs. He could even question why (he maybe was) offered the chance to correct the fault. Did you get a breakdown of costs as £994 seems a little steep (I genuinely have no idea).

Good luck!

I did get a breakdown of parts and labour costs, he is quite an expensive Indy but he’s good.

The detailer said in his garage when they were boosting the Disco that if there’s any problems Ill sort it out. He even said he has AA cover when on my drive that would recover the car for me. Then he did a complete 180 and wouldn’t even give his insurance details out.

Court papers and evidence went in today.
 2010 D4 XS  
Post #207190928th Jul 2019 9:46 pm
davidhem

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3

I had my Porsche 911 detailed a couple of years ago, I left the car for 2 days, the first thing he did was put it on a trickle charger.

Its obvious, if you are going to have the car doors, bonnet, boot etc open for hours on end, closing and opening the doors often then it can discharge the battery very quickly.

I used small claims to sue SSE a few years ago, for £500.00 (the principle, not the money), they claimed they had done nothing wrong, 18 months later they paid out in full the day before the court date.

You can claim all reasonable costs, including your time working on the case, postage etc.

Good luck and stick with it.
 David

Post #207193528th Jul 2019 11:23 pm
Rockpaperscissors

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
UPDATE

Oh well that went : up.

With all the building work and house renovations I forgot to send him a letter.

I withdrew on the advice of my solicitor.

You live and learn. Laughing
 2010 D4 XS  
Post #209124210th Oct 2019 3:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >