DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

D4 after detailing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Rockpaperscissors

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
D4 after detailing

Hi

Are there any legal gurus on here that would be willing to give me some advice please.

My car went into a local Detailer, he had it for 3 days..long story short. He ended up blowing my Battery, alternator and in-line fuse £994 worth. I’ve spoken to his insurance company who couldn’t give two Censored as they only cover for valeting & detailing. I’ve asked for a refund of the detailing. My Indy that repaired it is writing a full statement as to how the damage occurred for me.

Would my next steps be a small claims court?

Any help is appreciated
 2010 D4 XS  
Post #206918018th Jul 2019 10:10 am
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

I'm no expert and couldn't possibly help with the legal side.... but could I make an uneducated guess that they tried to jump it with the wrong polarity?

Post #206918718th Jul 2019 10:20 am
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

IANAL but yes, small claims court would be what I'd do - but first send them a letter recorded delivery detailing the claim and say that unless they pay it within a reasonable time frame (14 days ?) you will be taking it to the SCC. And you shouldn't deal with his insurance company at all - your claim is on the detailer, not their insurer.

Post #206919218th Jul 2019 10:30 am
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Nightmare scenario. Big Cry
I hope you get it resolved quickly and amicably, nobody needs that stress in their life.
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #206920118th Jul 2019 11:22 am
Rockpaperscissors

Brian_DL13 wrote:
IANAL but yes, small claims court would be what I'd do - but first send them a letter recorded delivery detailing the claim and say that unless they pay it within a reasonable time frame (14 days ?) you will be taking it to the SCC. And you shouldn't deal with his insurance company at all - your claim is on the detailer, not their insurer.

Solicitor letter or my own typed letter?

I want to try and stay as amicable as possible I’ll even go to mediation if it’s needed but I think it’s going the way of the courts.

@Brian yup they jumped a total of 6 times first 3 times in his garage the other 3 on my drive as it broke down before I got home.

One bright note that came out of it was the Indy said it run better and quicker than his 64 plate Mr. Green
 2010 D4 XS  
Post #206922018th Jul 2019 12:58 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

This link from Money Saving expert website on using the small claims court system is pretty good. Might help you. Don't think it is particularly difficult, just time consuming.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/small-claims-court/
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #206922918th Jul 2019 2:07 pm
Brian_DL13

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Rockpaperscissors wrote:
Brian_DL13 wrote:

Solicitor letter or my own typed letter?

I want to try and stay as amicable as possible I’ll even go to mediation if it’s needed but I think it’s going the way of the courts.

@Brian yup they jumped a total of 6 times first 3 times in his garage the other 3 on my drive as it broke down before I got home.

One bright note that came out of it was the Indy said it run better and quicker than his 64 plate Mr. Green

As long as you're confident in your ability to put it together, a DIY letter is fine (you'd not be able to reclaim the solicitor's costs).

Arbitration is routinely the first stage of a SCC claim these days, I believe.

Post #206925718th Jul 2019 4:04 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

All decent detailers have public and accident damage insurance because sometimes things go wrong.

Look out for free legal clinics in your area, these are run by local solicitors who give you free legal advice.
I have used them twice once they helped me draught a letter and on the second occasion i was charge £50 for them to write a letter and send it out. On both occasions i was paid without going to SCC

Post #206928118th Jul 2019 5:43 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

As I said in your other post, I feel for you but think the detailer was not necessarily to blame

I would suggest that it is more like the doors were open for the valet and the battery has gone totally discharged as it is old, when it was jumped and you drove it home the alternator has been cooked trying to rechanrge a discharged battery.
My expirience is when battery is that low, use a good quality charger to re-charge the battery to a half decent level at least befor you try to get the alternator to do the rest of the job. Thumbs Up

You may well be lucky and get somthing out of them but I would suggest they will push back as much as they can
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #206928318th Jul 2019 5:54 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

Check your home and motor insurance policies for "Legal Expenses" cover.

That could provide all the advice and financial funding you need to pursue the matter.

Going down that route could save the need for you to write any letters or be involved in court costs. Thumbs Up

Post #206928718th Jul 2019 5:59 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

As Russell says you do have to be sure that the problem was caused by the detailer.
It does seem that when the alternators fail on these cars they short the battery out which would explain the exact fault you had.

Post #206928818th Jul 2019 6:03 pm
Rockpaperscissors

Russell wrote:
As I said in your other post, I feel for you but think the detailer was not necessarily to blame

I would suggest that it is more like the doors were open for the valet and the battery has gone totally discharged as it is old, when it was jumped and you drove it home the alternator has been cooked trying to rechanrge a discharged battery.
My expirience is when battery is that low, use a good quality charger to re-charge the battery to a half decent level at least befor you try to get the alternator to do the rest of the job. Thumbs Up

You may well be lucky and get somthing out of them but I would suggest they will push back as much as they can

So the fault would still lie with him for allowing it to discharge that low. Common sense really would say that if the dash board was telling him to start the engine he should have ?
 2010 D4 XS  
Post #206929618th Jul 2019 6:14 pm
Rockpaperscissors

Thanks for all the advise all. We’ll see what happens.
 2010 D4 XS  
Post #206929718th Jul 2019 6:15 pm
geoffsnook

Wales 

So the fault would still lie with him for allowing it to discharge that low. Common sense really would say that if the dash board was telling him to start the engine he should have

But if the detailer can prove he does not have issues with the other cars he valets and yours is the only one he has had a problem with then maybe the issue was the battery on your car and not his fault the battery was not in a fit state and yes he should have charged it but if you ask any valet people i bet they don't they just jump them at the end of the valet
 Discovery 3 se gone
Range rover sport supercharged here:) 

Post #206930218th Jul 2019 6:29 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

No one is saying the detailer is possibly not to blame to some degree but how much is the issue.
As for detailer knowing the battery is low and needs to start car, they were detailing your car and probably to busy to notice that
Finally in your other post you state the battery was the original and from 2010, I would say you have got away very light if that is the original battery on a Disco, every 3/4/5 years they generally need replacing from what other on here have said, so to get 9 years is good going
Best of luck and let us know how you get on Thumbs Up
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #206930818th Jul 2019 6:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >