Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

D4 Engine Oil
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Voug

Germany 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The new Liqui Moly Top Tec 4500 also meets the WSS-M2C934-B spec . I just ordered 4 jerry cans of 5 L each here.

Post #7940277th May 2011 10:05 pm
access

Malta 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 4

The dealer put this oil in my engine Agip SINT (evolution special synthetic) SAE 5W-40

Post #7942438th May 2011 6:58 pm
chm

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Do our dealers know what they are doing oil wise?

My dealer is putting Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 into my d4

The below tech bulletin states clearly that deviation from the 5w-30 spec may result in damage?

Should I be worried guys?

May this thicker oil account for my turbo oil seal failure?

You will note that I am in South Africa, which is a different market as per the below.

They talk about irreparable damage to bearings.... Surely at 40000km's this should be of great concern to me and all fell local drivers?

Am I missing something?

"Just found this on TOPIx:

Reference: SSM49357

Models: Discovery 4/Range Rover Sport

Title: 3.0 TDV6 Engine Oil

Category: Engine

Last modified: 10-May-2011 00:00:00

Symptom; 401000 Oil System Concerns

Content

Issue: Clarification on engine oil specification applicable to 3.0 TDV6 derivatives.

Cause: Incorrect engine oil specification being used in some Markets.

Action:

The engine oil used in 3.0 TDV6 must be to specification WSS-M2C934B (ACEA A5/B5/C1). Land Rover recommends Castrol Professional Powerflow C1 5W-30 especially for vehicles fitted with DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) as this engine oil is specially formulated to minimize ash build up.

For non DPF vehicles ONLY, engine oil to specification WSS-MSC913B (ACEA A1/B1) may be used. Land Rover recommends Castrol SLX Professional C1 5W-30. It is permitted to use an alternative to Castrol as long as the specification stated above is met. The grade of oil used must be 5W-30, there can be no deviation from this viscosity. Failure to use a 5W-30 viscosity engine oil meeting the above stated specification will have a significant effect on the bearing shells which may cause irreparable damage to the engine.

NOTE - It is imperative that when the engine oil is drained from the sump during routine service work and replaced, the correct amount of engine oil is added to the engine as follows - 3.0 TDV6 Engine oil service fill with oil filter change 5.9 litres – Maximum. Therefore it is essential the correct amount of engine oil is measured prior to filling.

Failure to follow the above instruction will compromise the engine breather system, potentially resulting in oil pull-over and subsequent engine damage"
 regards, Carl-Hein  
Post #79662315th May 2011 8:20 am
Voug

I don't know available oils in South Africa, but your car is still under warranty and so i would tell the dealer to change the oil again. Otherwise i would held him responsible for possible defects on that engine. If its an approved LR dealer, they should get the proper oil somewhere.

Post #79665615th May 2011 10:32 am
thedigitalmaster

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Just to confuse things even more....I decided to spend 30 minutes with my local dealers parts department, they admit to using WSS-M2C934-B in their servicing department but this oil is "not available in 1 litre bottles" from Mobil yet.

He then showed me an e-mail from Land Rover confirming that they could use the Mobile ESP Formula 5W-30 to the spec ACEA C2, C3; JASO DL-1 which as far as I can make out is designed/used for VWs and BMWs.

Really confused and losing the will to live over this one, why cannot they make the oil specified..!!!

Post #79697215th May 2011 10:26 pm
Voug

thedigitalmaster wrote:
He then showed me an e-mail from Land Rover confirming that they could use the Mobile ESP Formula 5W-30 to the spec ACEA C2, C3; JASO DL-1 which as far as I can make out is designed/used for VWs and BMWs.

Did you saw the date of the mail ? Indeed there was a message of LR that ACEA C2 could be used, but this was intended

- in the early D4-days where an oil change has to be made and the Castrol SLX Professional C1 was very hard to get
- for fill-up purposes in case any WSS-M2C934-B isn't availabe

Today i would accept only oils with the correct spec for a complete change.

Post #79705616th May 2011 9:15 am
AlanC

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

So I went to see the main dealer who supplied the top up litre of WSS-MSC913B for my DPF equipped MY11 D4.

One of their mechanics checked the vehicle had a DPF and said the motor needed the low ash oil.  But he didn't know what spec they used or what was in their bulk tank out the back. 

Like thedigitalmaster's dealer experience, this dealer is also a Mobil house and the parts manager said Mobil didn't do the right oil in 1l bottles.  He also said he didn't know the spec of the low ash oil in their tank, just that the Mobil rep said it was suitable.  He said he'd check with the Mobil Rep and get back to me in a couple of weeks.

What concerned me more was that wrt the supplied litre both the service reception and the parts manager individually tried the line "it's only intended as a top up", but went silent when I asked if they were saying it was OK to top up the wrong oil..

I fully accept that if you're in the field and stuck for oil then any (preferably of the same viscosity) is better than none, but to plan to top up with the wrong oil is, I think, pretty poor.

I'll wait to hear what the Mobil low ash spec used at this dealer is, but I get the feeling (hope) the problem is only that the wrong top up is being supplied.

Post #79708616th May 2011 10:49 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Hi guys dont come over here very often.

But i thought i would help...you are correct with the Spec - something thats been a problem for some time for Jag owners...apparently the Jag dealers are cheaper than LR dealers (although my dealer gave me 1l FOC)

but Opie Oils do two brands meeting the spec and are Defender 2 site sponsors, they also have an offer on this weekend:
Quote:
At Opie Oils we are giving up to 25% OFF EVERYTHING on our website until midnight Sunday 22nd May.

To get your 25% off use your members discount & get an additional 15% with the voucher code below:

Voucher code: WEEKEND

If you don't yet benefit from members pricing, you'll still get 15% off, simply insert the above voucher code into the voucher code box at the Opie Oils checkout to receive your 15% saving.

Post #79891121st May 2011 12:25 am
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Does anyone know what the long term effect of using the wrong spec oil in an SDV6 would be? I only ask because in my search to find the correct oil to use as a top up, I had it confirmed by two separate LR dealers that they've been using a different spec to that detailed in the manual. One tried to sell me Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30 insisting that they use it in all the D4's. (It's stated as suitable for DPF diesels but it's C2/C3 spec).

I managed to get the right stuff (Castrol SLX Pro Powerflow C1) from a very helpful Jaguar dealer who didn't advise putting anything else in the 3.0 SDV6 as it definitely needs to be low ash. How do we know that LR dealers are using the right oil and are there likely to be warranty issues later on?

Post #8226052nd Aug 2011 11:57 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Probably only LR/Jag themselves could tell you (and that's if they've tested it). I'm afraid the best you can hope for, if you have irrefutable proof an approved dealer has done this, contact LR and log a complaint with all details in writing and then, maybe, if something happens in the future, you maybe, have a chance to get some recompense - although I doubt it very much.

Post #8228483rd Aug 2011 8:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >