Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

D4 Fairy Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Russell

United Kingdom 

Found it and sorry i was slightly wrong, it states that they are standard on the XS.

"Discovery 4 XS builds on the already impressive Discovery 4 GS specs with an array of additional features including a choice of progressive Diesel engines, four corner Air suspension with Terrain Response®, colour coded exterior upgrade, a Harman Kardon® sound system and automatic Bi-Xenon™ headlamps featuring the new LED visual signature lighting."

It is on the LR site under D4 compare models, XS.

Not what you were after as such but may help.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5283781st Oct 2009 11:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MartinR

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

But then if you move to the HSE page, it says...

Quote:
In addition to all the features on Discovery 4 XS, Discovery 4 HSE comes with the following:
• Bi-xenon front headlights with LED lighting
• New signature LED lighting incorporating the unique Land Rover 'night time' signature

does that mean you get two sets of xenons?!

The information on the site is really shockingly bad, from the inconsistent information to the broken configurator. Let's just hope it's because they've been putting all their efforts into making the cars properly!

Post #5283831st Oct 2009 11:24 pm
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

Local dealer got word back from LR technical dept saying that on Halogen lights, the LED's don't actually have any bulbs in them.

Whether this is the truth or whether LR are trying to put us all of the scent, I don't know.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #53438314th Oct 2009 1:46 pm
Ecosse

Landylad wrote:
OK, I'll try and keep this brief Rolling Eyes

3. LR Customer Services - Condescending Lady says: Oh, I don't think so. Well not according to the marketing speel I'm reading from this PC and trying to make on that I know what I'm talking about.

Landylad - this in my experience is typical of LRCS's attitude; I've just been looking through my paperwork from a Jan 05 purchase & I had similar attitude issues all documented with them.
Provided you can find the LR documentation detailing the function why not just pursue LR to meet their obligations?
It's sad but it seems that even with Tata in charge, the LR corporate attitude towards customer issues has not changed Rolling Eyes

Post #53441314th Oct 2009 3:44 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

Ecosse wrote:
[...]
Provided you can find the LR documentation detailing the function why not just pursue LR to meet their obligations?
[...]

IIRC, such was done by a former member here regarding the Fuel Burning Heater & the original advertised functionality.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #53442414th Oct 2009 4:20 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The trouble with such pursuit is usually there are some get out words lurking somewhere that get them off the hook.....along the lines of "we can change the spec at any time without bothering to let you know, even if the basis of your order was against what we suggested we might deliver, but now won't". They have such a clause on the final page of their printed brochure..............

In the old days, an order was accompanied by a detailed vehicle spec sheet (both standard fit and optional extras). They don't seem to do that any longer....no doubt in case they run out of bits when they are trying to put your car together.

As far as LRCS goes, I don't agree with you Ecosse; I think they have got worse!

Post #53442614th Oct 2009 4:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Be interesting to compare the headlights of the XS and HSE D4's. I already know that the colour temperature on the D4 XS is much warmer than the equivalent xenon on the D3 SE. Ford had started to introduce a conventional halogen lamp behind a fish eye lens on the Fiesta that looks like a xenon but isn't AFAIK ....and I wondered if they had done the same for the lower spec D4's Confused
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #53442714th Oct 2009 4:30 pm
Ecosse

Winger wrote:
The trouble with such pursuit is usually there are some get out words lurking somewhere that get them off the hook.....along the lines of "we can change the spec at any time without bothering to let you know, even if the basis of your order was against what we suggested we might deliver, but now won't". They have such a clause on the final page of their printed brochure..............

Fortunately, there is something called the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations Shocked .... Plus, the LR literature does not say "led's are not included", it is just silent (in its amended form) on the matter and in the original leaflets from what Landylad says it states they are included. Bearing in mind that there are numerous functions & features in the car that are not documented, at a practical level a consumer is entitled to expect that if the item appears to be there that it should also have been properly implemented/activated.

Dr Lex is correct, this was successfully pursued re the fuel burning heater in the early D3's, on exactly that basis (although LR will probably claim that it was not worth their while defending it and that they just paid out on a commercial basis Wink - but in the end of the day the consumer does not care what the basis of them "winning" is Shocked .)

Landylad - might be worth checking the led's - it's not the issue of there being no bulbs that's relevant - if the apparent feature is there (bulb holders) and it has been detailed in the sales literature, then you should have a reasonable case Very Happy

Post #53442814th Oct 2009 4:39 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

On Page 5 of the current brochure (both the printed version and the E Brochure) (Land Rover 2009. Publication Number: LRML 3014/09) there is an unambiguous statement:

"New Discovery 4 features striking new headlamp styling, incorporating the unique Land Rover 'night-time' signature............................ "

The statement is not model specific so presumably was intended to refer to the whole D4 range.

I understand that the brochures are now like rocking horse excreta and customers are encouraged to download and print their own (a la Ryan Air!).

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Last edited by Bill Wright on 15th Oct 2009 5:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #53443114th Oct 2009 5:08 pm
Pedders

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

In relation to the headlight its self the projector style of lamp is more effective and this is why manufactures are starting to use it for halogen as well. From what i have read these will be slightly different still for xenon due to the style of the bulb and the way the light is put out. Please correct me if im wrong.

Is it possiable for a retrofit like was avaliable on the D3 as the latest info is you will get the LED's with Xenon lamps?!?!

Might be able to get Xenon as well then and LED for a few hundred pounds.
 350miles and cant wait to do more.  
Post #53443614th Oct 2009 5:16 pm
MartinR

There are no LEDs to enable... Just took one of my lights out to take a look (and so I knew how to do it, in case of emergency!)

There's also no evidence of the lever to adjust the beam for driving abroad that's referred to in the manual - starting to think that too may be a Xenon-only feature.

Oh, and there's no dipstick. You HAVE to use the service section of the dashboard! And you have to have the ignition on while adding oil, so the electronic dipstick can keep track, apparently. Does that mean it won't track a leak that occurs while the ignition is off...?

Post #53494615th Oct 2009 5:22 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

MartinR wrote:
There are no LEDs to enable...

Interesting, so its just a pretty pattern moulded into the headlamp ? Or are their what appears to be 'holes' to receive the LED's ?

Are the head lamp units the same for xenon but with a xenon lamp unit fitted instead of halogen ??

Post #53494915th Oct 2009 5:26 pm
MartinR

From the front it looks like there are LEDs in place, but couldn't be sure if they were blanking plugs or moulded in, and anyone with a hand small enough to go through the hole in the back to poke around probably doesn't have arms long enough to reach the front of the unit Smile

Couldn't say on the Xenons - should have thought to take the HSE loaner apart last week!

Post #53495715th Oct 2009 5:36 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Pedders wrote:
In relation to the headlight its self the projector style of lamp is more effective and this is why manufactures are starting to use it for halogen as well. From what i have read these will be slightly different still for xenon due to the style of the bulb and the way the light is put out. Please correct me if im wrong.

Yes it's not quite as good as Xenon and as I have said it's the standard colour temp of a halogen ...but the light spread appears improved Thumbs Up
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #53496115th Oct 2009 5:38 pm
Ecosse

This is really beyond a joke for those who are spending 30-40k on a car Evil or Very Mad - it's exactly the same that happened with the Disco3 Shocked

If buyers were not expecting led's then fine, but if you were mislead by LR into believing that certain features such as the led's were on the car, the only thing that is going to make LR sit up and meet its obligations to its customers is if owners either start rejecting vehicles as not confirming with the advertised spec., or raise small claims actions if LR fail to remedy the missing/non-functioning items under warranty. Wink

Might be helpful if someone could pull together an online resource of copies of the various literature/website claims that were used to promote the Disco4 so that those members affected can readily obtain copies? - perhaps a new section in the Forum for Martin to set up "Literature & documentation" (watching always for copyright Shocked) would be useful.

Post #53497215th Oct 2009 5:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >