DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

D4 Fairy Lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Flanker

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
D4 Fairy Lights

Hi Folks

I had a look at the D4 this week and really liked it, I was a bit miffed that the Fairy Lights only work with the Bi-xenon lights HSE spec, so most folk will have a non working set of xmas tree lights on their car.

Why bother to include the things then exclude the use of them unless you get the HSE or pay to upgrade the lights, Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Or have I misunderstood Whistle

rgs Flanker
 Regards Flanker

What could I do or write against the fall of night. 

Post #52518625th Sep 2009 11:06 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think you are correct, although there are people working on how they can be enabled without having to Upgrade...... Whistle
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #52518725th Sep 2009 11:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Flanker

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi Bodsy

Thanks for that, I am not sure if I like the fairy lights or not but if there on the car they should be working, stuff like this annoys me. Evil or Very Mad

rgs Flanker
 Regards Flanker

What could I do or write against the fall of night. 

Post #52523825th Sep 2009 12:24 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

First noticed the fairy lights on Audis, Censored ing annoying things as they are far too bright & distracting. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post #52524425th Sep 2009 12:32 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Ah, but DSL, you noticed the Audi though didn't you Whistle

I think the issue is the dealers are not configuring the D4's with Halogens correctly.

As you say, no point building them in if they are not used.

Could be country specific. And if so, configurable.

Post #52525725th Sep 2009 1:17 pm
JRL2W

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
LED sidelights

I have a copy of the Land Rover 03 2009 - 2010 MY New Discovery specification comparison guide, which was given to me at Macrae & Dick in Inverness. This clearly states that LED sidelights are standard on the TDV6 2.7 GS. The TDV6 3.0 GS then states - as 2.7 GS spec + additional features, then the TDV6 3.0 XS spec is TDV6 3.0 GS + additional features. So all model derivatives should have the LED sidelights as standard fit, even without Bi-Xenons.

I am awaiting delivery of D4, with Bi-Xenons, due in November Thumbs Up Have asked dealer to confirm that LED sidelights will be fitted and working.
 4 x 4 x Really Far!
Discovery 4 XS Auto Nara Bronze + Bi Xenons
Discovery 3 XS manual Cairns Blue - Long gone! 

Post #52554125th Sep 2009 10:20 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Its documented in the UK Product Brief for D4 & 2010 RRS - ALL MODELS: LED front signature and rear tail lamps, 5" TFT display, passive start, misfuelling device, auto dipping mirrors in reverse etc.

Post #52556925th Sep 2009 11:40 pm
dejongj

United Kingdom 

That was a misprint. The first thing the dealer told me when we went through the spec list is that the LED's only work when you have the HIDs...
 Jean-Paul  
Post #52558926th Sep 2009 7:10 am
Landylad

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

OK, I'll try and keep this brief Rolling Eyes

So far, have contacted:

1. Local dealer service dept - Master Technician's answer: Eh-Eh (in a family fortune stylee)
2. Shukers - Service dept says: Bing (also in family fortune stylee). "Yes, we can do this. Should be easy enough mod through the diagnostics, or so says the tech I just spoke to"
3. LR Customer Services - Condescending Lady says: Oh, I don't think so. Well not according to the marketing speel I'm reading from this PC and trying to make on that I know what I'm talking about.

After two days, the old bint from LR phones me back to say she had contacted Shukers and that they had 'made a mistake' and that they couldn't modify them (yeah, sure lady). Also, that it's not LR policy to modify these, but yes, someone out there may be able to do that modification (has she been reading this forum??). However, LR would not recommend such modifications Yawn

Have also contacted the salesman at T&C in Aberdeen who is gonna email some contact at LR in the techy dept. Await his call on the matter.

So, no joy as yet.

I highlighted to Mrs Condescening at LR that this is a marketing disaster for them. Surely the one thing you would want when releasing a new model, is as much good PR as possible. What better solution than a beaming set of signature lights for every new D4 on the road?
Also told her that the logic in making them only available with Xenons was flawed. Who would spend that extra cash just to have LED sig lights?

I'm not sure if they believe that it would be doing a disservice to HSE buyers if they allowed lowly scum GS purchasers like myself to bask in the glory of having the LED's working. I just cannot get my head round this. I also can't get my head round why they have the LED's in the Halogen sets if there's no chance of activating them. It's like having a LED screen in your dash for sat nav, touch screen etc, and it doesn't do anything.

My advice would be for all D4 non Xenon owners, to call up LR cust service and log a request for them to actively add this as an option or modification at the dealerships. The more folk that moan about it, the more chance they will cave in to pressure.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5283251st Oct 2009 9:42 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Two thoughts.
The literature on the web site says very clearly that the GS does have signayure LED's, so take a copy and then approach LR on the fact that they have miss sold you a car and you want it rectified!!!!!!!!!
Secondly, find a HSE and try swapping a light from GS to HSE, if the LED light from the GS works in the HSE the it would just be a case of setting up a supply from the side lights in the GS to the LED's this would probably,equire some sort of drivr or resistor to kick the LED's into life.

Hope that makes sense
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5283591st Oct 2009 10:16 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Landylad

Where d'ya see that on the LR website?
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5283611st Oct 2009 10:24 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

On the info for the D4, think it was model specific info, will have a look.
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #5283621st Oct 2009 10:26 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Just been on and looked, web site has been updated and is totally diffrent to what it was last Thursday sorry, may still have a printed copy which I was going to put under the dealers nose.
D4 camera club 

Post #5283671st Oct 2009 10:33 pm
Landylad

They have probably realised they have screwed up and have changed it pronto. If you have a scanner, would appreciate a copy of this, which will be posted with Mr Angry letter to LR Customer Services.

I was very much under the impression when ordering my D4 that LED's were standard throughout the range.
 If in doot, flat oot!!  
Post #5283681st Oct 2009 10:36 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

just been out to car and I cannot find the copy think I dumped it after ordering my one
Cannot get emoticons to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Will look more tomorow and try to find it, if I do, I wll happily send it to you or scan it. Will keep you posted.
D4 camera club 

Post #5283691st Oct 2009 10:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >