Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

D4 and halogen to xenon
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
marcoVU

United States 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

Just trying to get a firm grasp on all of this, so any correction would be greatly appreciated. In order to convert the H7 into HIDs, I just need to order that 35w Slim Pro Plus Xenon HID Conversion Kit with H7R bulbs from HIDS4U? The part that I really is confusing me is do I need to get someone to update the computer software to get them to work properly?

Here in the US, I have a feeling that I would have a problem finding a shop to take care of that for me, which is my main concern.

Thanks,
Marco

Post #68305216th Aug 2010 5:17 pm
Salty Spuds

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

You can just go ahead & fit the conversion without updating the management computer, they will work. However there are reports that if the HIDs develop a fault or fail, they can cause unexpected behaviour with the car.

Post #68572624th Aug 2010 8:22 pm
GraemeS

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Salty Spuds wrote:
Here are the photos of the conversion as promised. Upto now the xenons have performed brilliantly, the only problem being that the halogen infills are p Censored s poor to the point where they might as well not be there. I now need some replacement H7s with a whiter light, any suggestions?
Why not fit HIDs to the high beam too? I have fitted 55W HIDs to my bi-xenons.  
Post #68575924th Aug 2010 9:29 pm
Salty Spuds

I'd thought about that, but I had doubts about the speed that they switch on & off, here in the UK with our dense population, your high beam can be on & off like a brides nightie. I know the HIDs a re pretty quick to switch on but they aren't as instant as halogen.

Post #68587625th Aug 2010 10:06 am
GraemeS

Once the HIDs have warmed-up they switch back on instantly (faster than halogens) after having been off for at least 30 seconds. If the halogens are effectively useless there's not much to loose anyway, although HIDs might have to be switched off earlier due to their greatly improved light output. HID high beams swamp the bi-xenon high beams as there's so much light from them.

Post #68594525th Aug 2010 1:07 pm
Salty Spuds

I Might give 'em a try, saying that it would be pretty crowded inside the light cluster with 2 sets of HID gear in there.

Post #68596625th Aug 2010 2:25 pm
GraemeS

I'm using external ballasts that were fitted for my temporarily-removed driving lights.

Post #68611425th Aug 2010 9:32 pm
marcoVU

So I ordered the ultimate kit about a week ago and it arrived yesterday. When I got home from work, I ripped into the package like a little kid and saw the kit which was well put together. Anyway, I removed the housings and brought them inside to work on them. Weird thing I notice though was that the bulb for my low beams seems to be a Philips H11 bulb (according to the small writing on the bottom). Am I on crack or something? I didn't get a picture of it because I was an idiot and more frustrated than anything.

Looking back at the pictures posted by Salty Spuds, I do not have that white plastic unit with the metal clip. Mine is more of a regular receiving unit from an H11. Does anyone have a clue what is going on here? My owner's manual even says H7. I will post pictures tonight once I get home from work.

Post #6886392nd Sep 2010 2:19 pm
marcoVU

Ok I finally got some pics of the units up. My low beam is H11 and the high beams are H7. I tested the unit with the high beams and they were bright, but I think that has to do partly with the fact that I did not get the reflector H7 bulbs. Am I correct to think that those would be the correct ones for the high beams since they are not projector lights?

I also spoke with some very good and kind people at HIDS4U and told them my problem of having a strange set up and they offered to send me the correct bulbs and all I have to do is send back the wrong ones. I may actually order the proper kit tomorrow and send the H& bulbs back for the reflectors if that's what i need.

Post #6888913rd Sep 2010 4:45 am
hids4u

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the Pics
Good to see LR are up to their old trick and installing different bulbs in US spec
The H7 bulb you have can be used in the main beam no problem. the H7R is only to stop glare on low beam - high beam blinds everyone so the extra glare is good when its safe to use main beam ie no one elsew around

We have the H11R and standard H11 bulbs. With the projectors i am assuming you have (not seen a D4 without projectors yet even in US) so you can go for the standard H11s

Let Kim know at the office if you want to just swap the bulbs or perhaps - you will go bixenon and keep the kit for main and get another for low. i am sure she could do you a special price and it should be VAT free for you also

R
Ian

Post #6889383rd Sep 2010 9:18 am
D4'er

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

HI everyone, just trying to get some help as I have just this minute myself taken out my old halogen units (complete) and fitted the adaptive xenons in their place.. All is fine apart from normal beam, it comes on for a second when switched, then off.. Full beam works, sig lights work etc.. Fault mate? Will that sort it? Anyone here that can activate these for me??

Thanks..

Post #87456422nd Dec 2011 11:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >