Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

D4 the LR Pinnacle? An Essay.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

grzesiul wrote:
LT 6-10 MPG better than D4 with V6 hmmm wonder how

See lots of nice SDV8 L405 for sale but hard to convince the management and "roadTAX" would be killer right?

G

I’m guessing less weight, better aerodynamics and a more modern (?) engine which most of the time isn’t working very hard is the reason for better fuel consumption

On an as a near as possible like for like basis, I used to get 28mpg from my EU6 D4 and get 34mpg from my EU6 SDV8. Driven gently on the motorway I can sometimes get a genuine 38mpg. Regardless, I definitely get more mpg from the FFRR. Thumbs Up

Mine is now 5 years old, so road tax is now £165.

On the grand scale of LR purchase, ownership and diesel cost, Road Tax is but a minor expense.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23140127th Nov 2022 4:54 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

driving gently on motorway? i guess you referring to say 60ish MPH?
G

Post #23140157th Nov 2022 5:03 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

65mph with just me aboard. Other users have reported similar or better. For me that’s about the best I’ve ever recorded though.

That was using a fuel calculation app. btw. Not the display.

I believe LR stated extra urban consumption was just over 37mpg.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #23140177th Nov 2022 5:16 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
D4 the LR Pinnacle? An Essay.

And what an excellent essay that is, couldn't agree with it more. Thumbs Up

I too have many varied uses for my D4, and for me there is no other car on the planet that does everything for me that the D4 [or D3] does....... and even after all this time I still get the permagrin Mr. Green

And similarly, if I were to change, the only other vehicles I would look at are:
Disco 5 - but I don't get that "off roader" feel, it doesn't have the "command" driving position and to me it feels more like a big estate car.
FFRR - lovely motor, but afraid it's a bit to grand for me. It's like visiting a stately home - lovely to visit, but I don't want to live in one.
New Defender- the new style works really well for me, however the load space shape/access along with the non-flat folding seat issue, seems a step back on what the D4/D3 offers.

As for other brands, the Grenadier is fugly [imo] and most other brands are SUV's not 4x4's, with a more "car like" driving experience.

I'm quite happy about that, as I don't pine to get into the latest model and spend a lot of needless cash.

The above is my opinion only and not intended to belittle anyone else's choice of vehicle.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #23140457th Nov 2022 7:15 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Completely agree. Which is why we’re continuing to run our D3.

How did you find the AX7 tyres? They look good value and I’m wondering about a set.

Post #23140847th Nov 2022 9:52 pm
Nasher

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

sarumlight wrote:
How did you find the AX7 tyres?

I've been perfectly happy with them, they certainly perform as well as the GG ATs I always had on my D3.
Obviously that's for my use of the car.
And yes I went with them because they appeared good value for money and the tread pattern made sense to me.

We didn't have any significant Snowfall last year, so I've not tried to get out of our steep road in Snow yet, but I don't see why they wouldn't be OK.

They are not getting more noisy as they wear like the GGs did either.
In fact I think they are generally less noisy anyway, but that could be because the D4 is better insulated than the D3, I don't really know.
 Heaven doesn't want me, and hell is afraid I'll take over.  
Post #23141328th Nov 2022 10:03 am
stick

United Kingdom 2010 LR4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueLR4

Agree with the OP, another thing I would add to the D4's advantages is the surprisingly good lock. Very handy when moving trailers around, and with short overhangs makes manoeuvring in tight spaces a real advantage. Not seen anything else of that size come close.

Owned one from new 2010-2015 and changed at 112,000 for another new one - sadly Euro 5. Now done 130,000 miles in it, so you can see that I have decided to stick with it. Did the belts and suspension at 112,000. Gearbox flush at 70,000. I don't think I am at more risk than any other of crankshaft failure, in fact I wonder if high mileage is better. Most likely problems are inlet manifolds or earth strap. Will probs replace rear brake lines this year.

Regularly try and decide what to get next with the same shortlist as OP, but same problems. Whose family seems very happy with decision to stick with it.
 d4 HSE  
Post #23141378th Nov 2022 10:26 am
AndyButch

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

A great explanation Nasher and I'm sure there are many of us who relate. I use my D4 for quite a lot of green laning and made my peace with the fact that I'll never sell it Very Happy . That means I can scratch it without worry (not that I do thanks to heavy ceramic waxing) and understand that, at some point, I'll be forking out for a new engine and other major parts.
The issue for me is similar, I can't see any other car on the market today that could replace the D4 for all the reasons you explain. Sure I'd like to average more than 27mpg but it's a price you pay for comfort and smiles I guess. My car is my transport, campervan, hobby and part of my status; nothing else can compare
 1978 Series 3 88 Military Green (Gone)
1983 110 V8 Masai Red (Gone)
1997 Discovery 1 XS Cobalt Blue (Gone)
1999 Defender 110 TD5 Safari Epsom Green (Gone)
2001 Freelander Sport Buckingham Blue (Gone)
2016 Discovery 4 Landmark Yulong White "Larry" (Written off)
2015 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Corris Grey "Sol" 

Post #23141528th Nov 2022 11:31 am
Nasher

It really is good to know that I'm not alone in this.

I'm going to tidy up what I typed a bit and send it to LRO International, be interesting to see if they print it.

I unfortunately don't think I can just keep the D4 long term, especially as it's my day-to-day vehicle.
My experience with D3s, and other older vehicles is that they get to a point where they are consuming too much time and money to keep on the road each month(even planned preventative maintenance) and you are better off spending that money on a vehicle you can maintain to a planned schedule and just get in and drive rather than have to fix it at inconvenient times.
And you lose confidence in them for longer journeys that could be rough on them.
Post #23141628th Nov 2022 12:00 pm
Nasher

I wonder if anyone has developed this for the new Defender yet:

A new shape 5 seat 110, with a similar conversion might suit me more than a D5.
Although I'm not sure what I'd do with the spare wheel.
Post #23141648th Nov 2022 12:06 pm
AndyButch

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Spare wheel goes on the bonnet Nasher, always worked for the military Very Happy
That would be a good setup, I had the drop down tailgate on my S3 and it worked a treat.

My D4 has managed 85k miles in the last 5-years (2 of them locked down) and is still my daily drive. I keep it well maintained and just expect to pay out, still cheaper than £100k for a new Defender and a compromise.
 1978 Series 3 88 Military Green (Gone)
1983 110 V8 Masai Red (Gone)
1997 Discovery 1 XS Cobalt Blue (Gone)
1999 Defender 110 TD5 Safari Epsom Green (Gone)
2001 Freelander Sport Buckingham Blue (Gone)
2016 Discovery 4 Landmark Yulong White "Larry" (Written off)
2015 Discovery 4 HSE Luxury Corris Grey "Sol" 

Post #23141728th Nov 2022 12:58 pm
Nasher

Nasher wrote:

A couple of open questions as I know some Ex D3/4 owners still on here have moved on to them.
How would a reasonably new Volvo XC90 cope with towing 3tns of trailer across a hard packed but shingle beach?

How would it match everything else in my ramble above?

Looks like I've answered my own question.
The 4WD system appears to be quite sophisticated and with AT tyres it could probably cope.

But being rated only to 2700Kgs it wouldn't be legal to tow the same trailer on the road.
Post #23142118th Nov 2022 3:36 pm
Nasher

I found this:

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-news/...offroader/

I don't agree with all of it, but the below has worried me, I'll have to try and have a look at a D5 somewhere.

Quote:
Interior setup – a big change, the L319 had a famously flexible second and third row with a true three-way second row split and fold-down seats. The L462 has a 40/60 split with a fold-down middle second row, and not quite as flat as before.

So does this mean there is currently NO 7 seat LR which can have the second row seats folded completely flat?

Can somebody with a new shape Defender confirm how flat the second row seats fold down in a 5 seater please?
Post #23143909th Nov 2022 4:48 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

After starting to skim read that Australian article, I stopped and now wouldn’t believe anything that it states.
And that’s because they say the D5 tailgate is an improvement over the D4 (see below) Shocked
What a load of twaddle, the D4 split tailgate (imo) is an excellent design and very practical, in fact I reckon it should be a feature on all Land Rovers……. D5 included.

“However, while the L462’s one-piece tailgate is longer than the L319’s it extends out only 50mm further as the L462’s curved back means the hinge point isn’t as close to the back of the car, so you aren’t getting much extra shelter under the tailgate. To some extent the tailgate design is opinion, but our panel of Discovery owners thought it was an improvement and I concur.”
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #23144069th Nov 2022 6:59 pm
Nasher

Yes ronp, as I said, I don't agree with it all, and the tailgate bit is one of the things I don't.
Post #23144089th Nov 2022 7:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >