Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D4)

D4 sat nav
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
pepekleinhans

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4

Hi Guys

I just bought myself a 2010 Discovery 4 HSE, but it still have the South Africa 2010 maps on. So I went onto the Land Rover Website and they referred me via a Link to the Navteq website, the navteq website refers me back to the dealer. The dealer tell me buy a garmin it is cheaper Shocked . Why the hell do I want to drive with a GPS stick to my window Confused if I have a satnav in my car??????. I want the latest 2013/2014 maps. Any idea where I can get it.

Any idea what is the difference in the satnav units from the 2010 and 2014 units. is it possible to change the HDD units out between the 2010 and 2014 models.

Cheers
Pepe

Post #130184223rd Jun 2014 7:59 am
friedrich-immo.at

Austria 2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 SE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Sat nav

hi an software update should be possible without any problems, however they are quite expensive at least for the european maps they charge you around 500 euros.

what is not possible is putting the sat nav 2013-2014 into any older versions of the disco 4 since they are totally different most cables.

i would if i could trust me, especially since the newest of the new will have the apple car intertwinement incl.

what i would do is i would look for a broken,car accident ann so on but new Disco4 and take the sat nav screen out an replace it with the one in your car, look at ebay and so on.
best regards
Alexander

Post #130190823rd Jun 2014 11:15 am
adam

United Kingdom 

Drove to and from Abersoch this weekend - not been for nearly 30 years so relied on the Sat Nav - which took me down some crazy tiny lanes vs. mates new TT that took him straight there.
In fairnes, time difference not massive and mates TT also threw a wobler on Saturday when trying to avoid a blocked road and took us down some tracks that I would not have been able to get a D4 down
On the whole, not perfect but I'd rather have an integrated unit vs. a stick on

Post #130191923rd Jun 2014 12:22 pm
pepekleinhans

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 4

Maybe this is just a stuped question, but if the car is still under its maintenance and warranty plan, is Land Rover not responssible for the cost of the mup update themselfs, until the plan expires?

Post #130193223rd Jun 2014 1:12 pm
adam

United Kingdom 

I suspect not
D4 Sat Nav does make me laugh - will take you off a Mway junction and imediatley drop you back on the Mway - I suspose looking out of the window once in a while helps Laughing

Post #130193523rd Jun 2014 1:15 pm
Mr.Tom

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Comparing a dedicated sat nav to an OEM installed one is not a fair comparison....the OEM one has a design lead time of ~1.5 years or more, from inception to model launch date. Considering say MY12 would only have been a minor update cycle, then this would normally involve largely software updates, fixes, latest drivers for BT, etc. and not significant new work. The majority of work would have been done for probably MY12 or 11. Car makers tend to work to a major / minor cycle, but may have major, minor, minor, etc.

A dedicated sat nav can go into mass production with-in 6 months, especially from someone like TomTom who have all of the components already.

The reason the OEM one has such a lead time is;
a) Land Rover take responsibility for it, if it fails or needs a recall, its there cost - do you want to recall a 50k car for a faulty sat nav...therefore the test cycles are longer

b) its integrated into the cars systems and this therefore requires more testing

c) it integrates audio and other functions, like climate, so this too requires more testing and work - its not as simple as a standalone sat nav

The features that are referred to such as download content, etc. are coming in new models (it seems like MY15 for LR) and in the later BMW, Audi, etc. but all premium brands will appear to be a couple of years at least behind the standalone market for the reasons above.

I, for one, find the LR sat nav quite usable - its a damn site better than the Ford one in my Mondeo (11 plate) that was replaced by the D4.

Post #130414328th Jun 2014 4:57 pm
reggs

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Some genius over a TomTom \ Garmin should work with LR to build a SatNav box with no display that simply interfaces to the LR display.
The cars antennas and touch screen could all be simple plug and play connections in to this new box minimising the electronics in the unit.
That way lead times could shrink down to the same as dedicated units and it could also be removed and updated remotely by the owner or dealer.

Although a unit like that should cost comparable prices to standalone SatNavs, LR could then charge us all £1000's and make even more profit.

Or hey why not, pass the savings and improved functionality over to the owners?

Post #131795130th Jul 2014 12:02 pm
Kimi

Does anyone use the TMC function in D4 sat nav and find it usable?

In Finland TMC usage is license based and LR hasn't paid the license so it isn't available for their cars. But last week I was traveling in Sweden where TMC was operating properly in my 2010 D4 HSE so I got some experience of it. The result was, I found it totally unusable.

The main problem was that it was regularly asking to reroute due various traffic information from TMC even when there wasn't any visible reason for it or the disturbance was very minor. I got a feeling that the sat nav reacts to any single message and always tries to recalculate the route despite how small the disturbance is. E.g. it was regularly asking to get off the big highway and start driving smaller roads alongside it even when highway was pulling nice. Using lengthy periods of small road instead of fast highway would need pretty big blockage on highway to make it pay off at the end.

It was really annoying since in principal it could pick up a real problem which you actually should avoid and go around but since it was complaining of various issues all the time, you never knew which was an actual problem so you had to ignore it totally hence making the whole feature useless.

Post #13187401st Aug 2014 11:35 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

It's not omniscient Wink The TMC data is received via a third party so the satnav can only react to the information provided at that time and recommend alternatives ...you then have the choice to accept or decline that. Smile
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13187601st Aug 2014 12:39 pm
motolite

Australia 

pepekleinhans wrote:
Hi Guys

I just bought myself a 2010 Discovery 4 HSE, but it still have the South Africa 2010 maps on. So I went onto the Land Rover Website and they referred me via a Link to the Navteq website, the navteq website refers me back to the dealer. The dealer tell me buy a garmin it is cheaper Shocked . Why the hell do I want to drive with a GPS stick to my window Confused if I have a satnav in my car??????. I want the latest 2013/2014 maps. Any idea where I can get it.

Any idea what is the difference in the satnav units from the 2010 and 2014 units. is it possible to change the HDD units out between the 2010 and 2014 models.

Cheers
Pepe

Hi pepe,
I followed a link from Pete@LR and for your car it says there is a CD available from the dealer. Here's the link.
http://www.navigation.com/homepage/landrov...uItem=Home

Post #13190532nd Aug 2014 5:25 am
Kimi

DG wrote:
It's not omniscient Wink The TMC data is received via a third party so the satnav can only react to the information provided at that time and recommend alternatives ...you then have the choice to accept or decline that. Smile
So the TMC message has the infrmation of delay location and actual delay time so that sat nav doesn't need to do any decision making other than adding the delay to current route and potentially recalculate?

During the drive it seemed that my D4 sat nav triggered to these messages way too often or it was triggering to same messages several times even when i asked to ignore it. There were times when I got the recalculate query several times a row. Even when I replied not to recalculate, I got new request couple of minutes later and that was repeating several times. It felt that there was something wrong with the system. And at the end there wasn't any visible delay on the route. It was hard to believe that the nation wide system would transmit so erroneus signal that would yield all sat navs almost unusable on that area. But then again, I'm not that experienced of TMC so maybe this is the case and D4 sat navs behaves like all other sat navs regarding this feature.

Are there any D4 owners that find TMC feature working ok and being useful in operation?

Post #13195123rd Aug 2014 8:38 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I've switched TMC off......the problem is that it warns you of delays sometimes a long way off on your route,only to find they've cleared by the time you get there.....if you've elected to use an alternative route it's too late...
The final straw was the other night,when I knew there was an accident ahead due to the overhead information,but wanted to get as close as I could before finding an alternative route.....as I neared the accident it flashed a message that read something like "incident cleared" when it clearly wasn't.....and yes,declining the alternative route only lasts a couple of minutes before it insists on offering it to you again....freezing the sat nav until you decline again.....
As DG says,it relies on information from other sources,but surely having to decline the offered alternative doesn't have to be so frequent Confused
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13195173rd Aug 2014 8:51 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Euan I think it depends on how often they resubmit the same information or an update on the event ...when a new message arrives from TMC the satnav is unable to distinguish if it is different information e.g. the same event more severe delay or less severe delay so it treats every message as new and suggests an alternative. Also if you read below it suggests that if you say no to a recalculated route, stay on the same route and the event is still present it will look for a new route after 5 minutes. BTW it only retains TMC info for a max of 15 minutes

Quote:
USING TMC
Dynamic route guidance will calculate an
alternative route to avoid a traffic event when
the system receives an event warning. The
system calculates a new route for all sections.
However, if any waypoints are set, the system
calculates for the next waypoint. If the event on
route is serious (closed road) or if the new
route is shorter than the current one and the
current one was not recalculated within the last
5 minutes, then a message to confirm the new
route will be displayed. This pop-up message
will be displayed for 5 minutes and if the new
route is not rejected, then the vehicle will stay
on current route.

Quote:
RDS-TMC ICONS
Any traffic event (broadcast on TMC) in your
area, will be displayed as a warning icon on the
map and an alert may be displayed as a
message giving the road number(s) and
between which junctions the hold-up or event
occurs.
This data is stored in the system for up to 15
minutes.
The colour of the TMC icon changes in order to
show the type and priority of a TMC event. The
background colour of the icon returns to
normal when there is no longer an event or
hold-up, or if any re-route instructions are
calculated.
The TMC Event icons appear on the navigation
map display to indicate the location and nature
of a TMC event.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #13195283rd Aug 2014 9:13 am
euangibson

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Thumbs Up
It appears all TMC alerts come centrally from ITIS Holdings http://www.itisholdings.co.uk/pdf/trafinfo.pdf so I suppose all manufactures factory-fit satnavs react to,and display,the information in the same way.....
I was unaware that it only retains TMC for 15 minutes,as I've usually lost the plot after about 5, and switched it off Whistle Thumbs Up
 "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool,than to speak out and remove all doubt" ?.....what rubbish...

Locking rear E-diff
RLD spare wheel protector & sump guard
Extended roof rails
Series 111 mudflaps
Black side tubes,grill and vents
Timed climate remote
Hids4u interior lights

D4 Firenze my2012 HSE
D3 Java 2005 SE manual (sold,sadly,thanks for the memories)
1966 '88 Series 2a....still starts in the morning better than I do... 

Post #13195533rd Aug 2014 9:59 am
Paddy0174

Bavaria And Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

TBH I try to use it, but every time it get's me a new announcemnt, I check back with google maps, which is way more accurat then the sat nav. After that i choose, what I want! Smile
 Cheers Patrick from Munich

Disco4 HSE / corris grey / MY 15
Harley Davidson FLHTCU / red / MY 91
VW Beetle Cabrio / toffeebrown / MY 14 

Post #13196123rd Aug 2014 11:37 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >