DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Spare wheel sizes for use with Compomotives
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Buckster

England 
Spare wheel sizes for use with Compomotives

I now have a new set of Compomotives and planning to run 265/65/18s

My current set up is 255/55/19 Duratracs with 2x spare wheels running Duratracs also.

Will these work with the new compomotive set up if needed, or do i now have to rethink my spare wheel strategies also?

Help needed please Thumbs Up
 2003 BMW M5- 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.
Visiting from the RR Sport forum: 

Post #190241917th Jan 2018 7:52 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Buckster - I use a site here http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_size_calculators.html and put in the different tyre sizes. I am no expert but I think the size difference of around 5% with the spare (255/55R19) is too much even for a short journey.

See the diagram below for your figures graphically displayed. If you plug in 265/60R18 instead you will be closer to the standard tyre overall size (hence less stress on the diff) but you are getting a lower profile with the attendant rougher ride, etc.

HTH
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #190242417th Jan 2018 8:18 am
Buckster

England 

Many thanks for link. So what are my options apart from buying another 2 Compomotive spares?

I like to keep one under the car and one on the roof when we do our Pyrenees trips to save unloading the whole boot and fridge slide to access the one underneath Crying or Very sad

Would like to know what others do that use these Thumbs Up

2013 RRS SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expo Rack, 4x Warn Spotlights, Warn 9.5 XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection, Full Easylift Suspension, LightForce HTX 230 Spot Lights, LR Light Guards, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, Brembos Calipers, ARB Fridge, Tuff trek awning.

Post #190268817th Jan 2018 6:38 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

I went for a 5th Compomotive, and have that on a rear spare wheel carrier, as I have a long range fuel tank. I have LT tyres, so have stronger side walls. These have taken me through a lot, as opposed to the Duratrac's which I damaged all 4 tyre side walls in one off road adventure. Crying or Very sad That was an expensive lesson. Sad

Post #190270417th Jan 2018 6:53 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Buckster,

the 265/65 give you a side wall of 172mm if you want to keep the 19" wheels take 13mm off the 172 so you would need to find a width/aspect ratio to give you 159mm Question

285/55 is 157
275/60 is 165

happy hunting Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #190288818th Jan 2018 12:16 am
ArdbegBold

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

I run BF Goodrich KO2 265/60/18 LT on my Compomotive wheels as this size enables the spare to be fully housed underneath without having to be partially deflated. This size also does not cause any rubbing when on full lock. There is an increase in road noise on tarmac. The tyres also have the three peak symbol with snow flake. The side walls are very strong and resistant to damage. IMHO the KO2 and Compomotive set up is one of the best set ups for both road and expedition travel.

Post #190290518th Jan 2018 7:15 am
xcentric

2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Buckster wrote:

I like to keep one under the car and one on the roof when we do our Pyrenees trips to save unloading the whole boot and fridge slide to access the one underneath Crying or Very sad

Would like to know what others do that use these Thumbs Up

I have 4 Compmotives on for expedition trips (Pyrenees, too!) with BFG KO2's on, and carry 2 spares - one underneath and one on the roof. However, I have the standard 19" with Pirelli's on as the spare.

Why? I don't plan to drive at all far on the spare - it's there to get me out of trouble and to a tyre fitter. The second is just in case the worst happens. For the relatively short distances, at the relatively slow speeds I'd be going, I can't see that there'll be consequential damage. In Europe at least, you can get a tyre to you in most places with a tarmac road and a garage.....

Were money no object, I'd have at least one other Compmotive 18" with the same tyres on, to allow the trip to continue without a pause, but I got a bargain off eBay and there were only 4 of them..... I'd rather plan more relaxed trip with scope for issues than have to rush new wheels and tyres onto the car to make a deadline somewhere.

Were I going somewhere more remote (Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe) I'd have 2 spares that were the same as the main tyres as they are not 'get to the nearest garage' wheels then (and the nearest place may be a way away) - but then I'd probably not be taking the Disco there either.....

Post #190292118th Jan 2018 8:15 am
Erea

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Spare wheel sizes for use with Compomotives

Buckster wrote:
I now have a new set of Compomotives and planning to run 265/65/18s

My current set up is 255/55/19 Duratracs with 2x spare wheels running Duratracs also.

Will these work with the new compomotive set up if needed, or do i now have to rethink my spare wheel strategies also?

Help needed please Thumbs Up

Might be an idea to try putting one of the new wheels under as a practice spare and see will it physically fit up into the space, you might need some “minor “ adjustments to get it to fit as it’s that bit bigger.

Post #190302918th Jan 2018 12:46 pm
Buckster

England 

Thanks for the input so far gents, swing away carrier isn’t an option for me unfortunately without some serious modification but I think it has been done to a Sport in Australia.

Option 1 is thinking about ditching the spare underneath for a long range Front Runner fuel tank and another Compomotive, for the roof and risking one spare with the correct tyre when doing overland stuff.

Decisions decisions Embarassed

Post #190317618th Jan 2018 5:51 pm
John P

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Carrying one spare should be fine. I’ve never had a need for two spares when running the LT tyre. In fact I’ve never had a puncture with my LT tyres on my off roading adventures. You could always care a tyre/plug repair kit as a backup if need be.

Post #190329418th Jan 2018 10:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >