Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Do all D4’s have trailer stability control as standard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Andy500

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
Do all D4’s have trailer stability control as standard

I’m not sure how to tell if it’s on or working? Hopefully won’t need it! I have just bought my first Discovery a 2009 3.0TDV6 GS. It is brilliant at rowing my swift Eccles 590, all led lights are working but there is no indication on the car that it is connected.
I have one of the Sargent vlm boxes in order so that hopefully the car will see it and indicate something on the dash. However I was wondering if my car will also have her stability control on it?
Thanks

Post #197825227th Aug 2018 11:08 pm
al cope

England 

Hi - no they dont all have the trailer control system (vast majority dont) , but you should have a green trailer indicator flashing on the dash when your indicators are flashing.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #197827628th Aug 2018 7:55 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

With the caravan having LED tail lights you need the VLM fitted before the vehicle detects it. Once fitted you will get the trailer indicator on the dash flashing with the indicators.
Also when the vehicle detects a trailer connected:
Ride height change with special programs is inhibited
Vehicle rear fog lights are inhibited whilst powering the trailer rear fog light.

Post #197867629th Aug 2018 7:58 am
Andy500

Thanks for the replies. I’m a bit confused now. So without the VLM fitted all the lights on the caravan work correctly however nothing is inhibited or displayed on the car to let me know I’m actually towing! Sargent sent a VLM4 unit of the A3 type, I plugged it in tonight and basically it just stops all the lights working on the Caravan. The car still operates as normal but still doesn’t see the caravan an d no lights on the van operate at all! I took the unit back off and it works again as before!!
Could this be the towbar wi ring on my car? As it was on when I got it or is it likely to be the VLM unit?
Thanks

Post #197892929th Aug 2018 8:54 pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

If the 'van lights work OK without the VLM then that would suggest the vehicle wiring is OK. Best bet is contact Sargent and see what they advise.

Post #197893129th Aug 2018 8:58 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

If all the lights on the van work correctly then you will not need a VLM box from Seargent, however if they dont then yes you will need a box.
If the cars towing electrics have been configured by LR or a similar box such as IID then when a trailer is plugged in and detected the car will not automatically change ride hight even if you select an off road programme, the rear car fogs will be inhibited and the rear parking sensors will be inhibited.

Hope that makes sense
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #197893529th Aug 2018 9:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy500

That’s what I was thinking! Will get on to them
Thanks

Post #197893729th Aug 2018 9:08 pm
Andy500

So to confuse things a little more I just went and checked the car again when plugged to the caravan and without the VLM all lights do work perfectly, having the caravan plugged in does inhibit the rear fog on the car but it does not inhibit the parking sensors. I get nothing at all displayed on the dash to let me know it’s plugged in regardless of what lights or indicator are working.

Post #197894529th Aug 2018 9:21 pm
Andy500

Russell wrote:
If all the lights on the van work correctly then you will not need a VLM box from Seargent, however if they dont then yes you will need a box.
If the cars towing electrics have been configured by LR or a similar box such as IID then when a trailer is plugged in and detected the car will not automatically change ride hight even if you select an off road programme, the rear car fogs will be inhibited and the rear parking sensors will be inhibited.

Hope that makes sense

Thanks Russell, so I guess it’s probably the tow bar electrics then! Is it just that the car needs programming? If so does it have to be a LR main dealer or can an Indy do it?
Many Thanks

Post #197895029th Aug 2018 9:29 pm
nigel207

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Yes, an Indy or anyone with an IID unit can do it.

Post #197897629th Aug 2018 10:17 pm
Maxxed_Ross

Scotland 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

just to add an extra oddity I've found with mine...

the dash indicator doesn't seem to work with LED trailer lights. Must be due to the lower draw / resistance of the LED lights over traditional bulbs

I only noticed as my mate has the same trailer as I do, but slightly newer so has LEDs all round. The dash indicator flashes away as expected on my trailer but nothing at all when his is plugged in Rolling Eyes
 2013 Discovery 4 HSE Lux | 2001 Defender 90 TD5 | 2007 Prodrive RB320  
Post #197901130th Aug 2018 1:50 am
Andy500

So I managed to plug a trailer in to my 4 today and everything worked as expected including the flashing trailer icon etc! It had an old school bulb set up so I guess it’s just down to the Leds on the caravan not drawing enough as above to trigger the dash indicator. What doesn’t seem to make sense is why the Sargent box didn’t work, I still haven’t heard back from them yet on that though.

Thanks
Andy

Post #197933830th Aug 2018 10:57 pm
KTM Gordo

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Another issue to consider is whether you've use the proper electrical plug-in kit for the vehicle or a generic electrical kit spliced in to the vehicle's electrics.

I'd hope that most of us would spend a few extra pounds and do it properly, but there's no saying what a previous owner might have done to cut-corners. A buzzer- for the indicators in lieu of the dash indicator is probably the best sign of a splice-in.

Without the proper plug-in kit, the vehicle may not know that there's a trailer attached and you won't get the benefits of the stability system, parking sensor and rear fog cut-out etc.
 Gordon

2016 D4 Landmark, Yulong White, SDV6, Ex-JLR Fleet
2013 D4 HSE (Gone! Sold within the forum) 

Post #197940231st Aug 2018 9:37 am
Washwipe

England 

When I had an MY13 D4, when I went over to LED lights on the trailer, couple of things I found, never plug in the electrics with the engine running, whenever you start the engine, make sure the drivers door was shut, if I started the engine with the door open the reverse sensors would sound off in reverse, start with the door closed they stayed silent.

As for Trailer Stabilty Assist, it doesn’t kick in till your doing 50mph, you shouldn’t see any signs of it kicking in and does not need the trailer electrics connected for it to work.

Post #197957731st Aug 2018 6:51 pm
DiscoJeffster

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The amount of misinformation in this thread is amazing.
1. If your trailer uses LED then likely your Disco won’t know it’s there. To get it to detect you can wire in some 21W resistors into the circuit to pretend to be bulbs. Then you will get the trailer symbol on the dash and it will then disable the reverse sensors and select a more appropriate gearbox map.
2. Trailer stability assist is a function of the abs/traction/stability and according to the video from LR is available on all models and doesn’t require it to be “sensed” to work. Essentially it’s no different than your vehicle wagging its tail and the stability control counteracts it.
3. I regularly tow a camper trailer when off road, I have resistors so it’s detected (get the trailer symbol flashing with indicators) and am able to select all off road terrain modes. After all, why on earth would you buy a 4WD that you can’t use with a trailer? I can select any height, any mode.

Post #19798391st Sep 2018 1:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >