Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

do all of our D4's come with this
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

OMG Shocked What did people do before all this poncy stuff, we are breeding a generation of people who will become useless without aids, their brains and any skills are being replaced by gadgets which when broken and knowing my D3 they will, will be unable to do anything. People will become so reliant on these things that they will become zombies without them Very Happy

Bring on the GS, it keeps you alert. skilled and brain alive, not brain dead and skill less Laughing

Post #7425777th Jan 2011 12:17 am
character

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

here here, guess these gadgets were invented as a "safeguard" to complement those who have a due diligence approach to towing rather than, as I feel it will encourage an attitude of "well we've got this gizmo on our D4 that will over ride our bad/dangerous towing/loading" - a bit like some post regards the AT, seems brains fall out the window for some drivers coz there's this little twoggle switch that will drive the thing for us Rolling with laughter

Post #7425827th Jan 2011 12:30 am
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

cte wrote:
The feature on the video is Trailer Stability Assist which is standard on the D4.

Tow assist along with Tow Hitch Assist is an optional extra which comes the 360 camera system to help you reverse your trailer.

Carwyn

Nice one Thumbs Up
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #7425837th Jan 2011 12:33 am
Discotres

I have a GS and have already forgotten how to use a handbrake Shocked Got given an FL2 courtesy car when mine went in on Tuesday for repair and wondered why it didn't drive off, lucky I wasn't a D4 owner and going off to tow something Rolling with laughter

Post #7425847th Jan 2011 12:35 am
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Discotres wrote:
we are breeding a generation of people who will become useless without aids,

Unfortunately the same is true of ABS/Traction Control/ESP and (in the not too distant future I reluctantly suspect) manual gearboxes. Expect an 18yr old recent test-passee to know that they need to release the brakes on a pre-ABS equipped car in order to steer? Dream on.

And if there is anything more satisfying in the motoring world than executing a clean heal&toe downhift on a manual gearbox whilst braking - I've yet to discover it. I suspect this marks me out as a dinosaur before my time however as everyone wets their pants over dual-clutch automated manual boxes etc (in addition to the tactility they rob, wait til the 2nd or 3rd owner has to oick up the repair costs).

Sigh Sad

Post #7425927th Jan 2011 1:32 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

The system is designed to help improve stability of the trailer/car combination as is the numerous trailer stability systems that are about. It is not designed to do all the work for you. If you do load the trailer or drive like a complete knob then these systems will not protect you. In many respects these systems are setting people up to fail because they believe that they will protect them and correct any issues. The next thing we will see is people trying to tow a twin axle caravan or loaded trailer with a small car not capable of doing it.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #7426437th Jan 2011 9:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

cte is correct. Trailer stability is part of the DSC system, and there are no user settings for it.
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #7428777th Jan 2011 4:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mwestcrew

cte is correct. Trailer stability is part of the DSC system, and there are no user settings for it.
Post #7428787th Jan 2011 4:03 pm
mwestcrew

Post #7428797th Jan 2011 4:04 pm
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

Russell wrote:
If you do load the trailer or drive like a complete knob then these systems will not protect you.

It will seriously help a mis loaded trailer. I have been in a 10MY RR, which has this fitted also, with a freelander 2 reversed onto an Ifor Williams trailer; there was no nose weight, but substantial nose lift (2 people standing to hitch the trailer. This was on a test track and done deliberately to represent major misload and prevoke the system.

At 60MPH various "Elk test" style manovres were carried out with this badly misloaded trailer; the vehicle slows itself until all is stable. It uses brakes on a side to control the sway and is very impressive; it is not a system that can be driver replicated (without fiddle brakes) like ABS and therefore is brilliant.

I have done some heavy towing, and almost everyone who has will have at some stage had a heart in mouth or worse moment. I hope this system never kicks in on my D4, but I could not believe how impressive as an aid this system is.

All 10MY or later D4s, RRSs, L322 RRs have this system.

Mark.

Post #7429557th Jan 2011 5:48 pm
Discotres

So I guess people will not be so careful in loading and checking their nose weight, just relying on the 'system' to correct it for them! Sorry, but there is no substitute for doing things properly from the start, all this get you out of the poo technology is breeding lazy and uneducated people who rely on help when all goes wrong.

I have towed big loads for years and never had a problem, maybe because I took the correct precautions or maybe just luck, but I am still here and didn't have a gadget to help me Wink

Post #7429577th Jan 2011 5:59 pm
Ted Newman

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

Discotres wrote:
So I guess people will not be so careful in loading and checking their nose weight, just relying on the 'system' to correct it for them! Sorry, but there is no substitute for doing things properly from the start, all this get you out of the poo technology is breeding lazy and uneducated people who rely on help when all goes wrong.

I have towed big loads for years and never had a problem, maybe because I took the correct precautions or maybe just luck, but I am still here and didn't have a gadget to help me Wink

Unfortunately not all drivers have your experience and skills so anything that is a safety aid is to be welcomed - like ABS and power steering for example - and I too have driven thousands of miles with trailers and no aids BUT I still give a thumbs up to anything that will help road safety - remember non of us are infallible Thumbs Up
 LR Discovery 4 XS pulling an Airstream 532 Caravan also own (since new) a 1996 MGF  
Post #7429647th Jan 2011 6:17 pm
MJIbex

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

I am glad you have never had a problem, and there are many people who have not, however I know of friends, and have past the aftermath of others who have had problems.

I'm definately not saying that people should go out with intentional problems or no care about what they are doing, but a system that aids safety in such a major way can surely only be a good thing?

I never (touch wood) had an accident towing but did have a major sway on the M25 with heavy load, a lorry inside me (joining the motorway) and lorry outside (overtaking me) and my trailer swaying between the lorry tracks (wider than the track of my trailer), downhill on overrun - I reckon this system may well have negated this problem.

Mark.

Post #7429657th Jan 2011 6:18 pm
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

i too agree that a gadget cannot take the place of a driver and i was not suggesting it would Shocked

i have a class 1 licence and have towed all over europe using an eaton twin splitter box which is an art in itself Laughing, i was simply asking if all D4's were fitted with this or not Whistle Rolling Eyes
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff 

Last edited by shawn on 7th Jan 2011 6:49 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #7429667th Jan 2011 6:18 pm
Discotres

Don't get me wrong, we all have to start somewhere, but for new drivers this IS the start, god help us all as they will have no Censored clue at all Rolling Eyes

I won't start on all the other poncy stuff that takes away the real driving skills, it just seems that this is now the way of the world, poncy clueless people just relying on poncy gadgets, these are the kind of people that probably have central heating in their houses and double glazed windows, don't have a clue about what survival is Rolling Eyes

Wasn't like that in the old days!

Post #7429747th Jan 2011 6:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >