Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Discovery 5 - L462

D5 on fire!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Surrey and Sussex....hmmmmm ....It’s only the bankers who can afford them......

On a serious note they are blinking expensive... having had a lovely D4 HSE Lux the jump to the same spec D5 at replacement time was huge and put me straight into RRS territory ...so I bought one of those!

Post #207619115th Aug 2019 8:12 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:

Interesting to note that in practice you actually favour the FFRR over the D4 in terms of style and substance Laughing

Do I? I didn't know that!! Rolling Eyes
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #207620315th Aug 2019 8:54 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

DG wrote:

Come to Surrey ...they are very fashionable ...I see one every few minutes out on the roads here Whistle

Yes, I can imagine that! Laughing Very Happy

Last edited by Red Merle on 15th Aug 2019 10:48 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #207620415th Aug 2019 8:56 am
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

LT wrote:
IIRC, Red Merle does a lot of business miles and as he couldn’t buy a new D4 in 2017 he bought a FFRR.
The seating/driving position being very similar to that of the D4.

Absolutely. The same upright driving position, with a view DOWN onto the bonnet (rather than along it), low waistline for deep windows, a great view out, from the front and back, a sunroof that you can actually see from the front seat (as well as the back seat), a nice low centre console, BIG doors and a big balcony for Ben to sit on and sniff the air! Thumbs Up

I could have got all of this and more (massive boot, 7 seats, even better tailgate, looks like nothing else on the road), if the '4 had still been in production Very Happy

Mind you, the SDV8 and really comfy seats are some compensation Very Happy Thumbs Up

Post #207620715th Aug 2019 9:04 am
J77

Scotland 

Range Rover, nice car always fancied one. That was until last month when I looked at changing the Velar for this exact one.

It's not for me, for my needs I didn't really see what I was gaining over the D5 or in fact my Velar for that matter, other than sitting higher up, which was nice as its been a while. For the size of car the boot didn't look overly large and not an amazing amount of rear legroom, didn't look a lot more than my Velar to be honest.

I wouldn't rule one out ever, as there is a sense of occasion sitting behind the wheel, but at the moment though, it will either be the Defender or the very real possibility of a D300 Velar.
 23.5MY Defender 90 X-Dynamic SE D250 MHEV Pangea Green  
Post #207625515th Aug 2019 11:31 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

All i can say is this

My last d5 did around 16k floorless miles in 8-9 months, this one has already done 2k miles.

My d5 worked as hard (we think harder) than my last 5 d4's

Every week i make my d5 do:
Motorway and inner city driving daily
Farm duties
Towing
regular off roading around the farm

So far both D5's have delivered this better than any of the d4's - how i define better is subjective - but they have had better grip when towing off road, reversing one of our stock trailers into its store, in the wet the d4 didnt like it and often had to leave the trailer out - the d5 does it easily

The d5 went greenlaning too, it has only had 6 people in, but ive sat in row 3, im over 6 foot and it was perfect, seat support better than i recall in row 3 of the d4 - row 2 entertainment is the same, but there are more power points across the d5

As a place to be, despite having top spec D4s, they are poverty compared to the D5 - i couldnt even start with whats better.
Auto steer, Adaptive cruise and all the driver aids on the d5 - outstanding Front and Rear vehicle detection BSM etc etc - where to stop?
How i survived without cooled seats in the dark days of d4 ownership i dont know lol
360 cameras are just better than surround cameras and used, freqently

My current D5 has one sound system niggle, thats it - my last d4 had various warranty issues, including replacement air suspension compressor, heated steering wheel etc, although in fairness d4 issues were low

My point, the d5 is genuinely great, as good if not better than the d4, but in a package that is modern and in line with other manufactures. I maybe unique and use mine, all features - but it does do what many even on here dont do with D4s it will deal with the tough stuff and im sure it tows better (i also like it will weigh the nose weight and pack away the towbar...not to mention the tools to test and hitch at the back)

Yes the boot is a little ugly at the back with some of the base specs, but its not that bad...especially if you have taste to spec properly, inside you cant see the back and there is no part of it i have found that isnt the same as the d4 with many parts better. All i dont have is massage seats.

Go in with an open mind, use it and it will do what the d4 does

Quote:
On a serious note they are blinking expensive... having had a lovely D4 HSE Lux the jump to the same spec D5 at replacement time was huge and put me straight into RRS territory ...so I bought one of those!

All modern cars are expensive - d5 no exception - yes painful in any measure, but the same measure as other makes of similar style
 Mike  
Post #207633615th Aug 2019 7:19 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Quote:

My last d5 did around 16k floorless miles in 8-9 months,

Is yours the Flintstone version? Whistle Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #207635915th Aug 2019 9:08 pm
Pelyma

England 

As long as you’re happy that’s all that matters, the perfect car does not exist they are all a compromise and what we are willing to compromise on is different for us all. For me I could not compromise on the dealership support so it put any LR out. The Porsche is a big compromise on off road ability and boot space but a massive improvement on driving ability and I thought that was a fair swap for me for others it wouldn’t be but that’s life!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #207636015th Aug 2019 9:11 pm
Farmer Chalk

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

Quote:

All modern cars are expensive - d5 no exception - yes painful in any measure, but the same measure as other makes of similar style[/quote

I agree with your previous comments re it being a nice car but the increase in price was huge...
My 2013 Lux with all the option boxes ticked cost just under £55k new. 2/3 years later a similar specced D5 was over £74 K...
Which is why I then bought an RRS... I wasn’t going to pay the huge uplift when I could get an infinitely better car for less..

I now run a 5.0 RRS which is a beautiful machine that was a year old rather than buy a new D5.

Post #207636415th Aug 2019 9:22 pm
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Before the RRS 1 to current rrs - i remember it was about £15k between lux to lux or at least similar specs

prior to that between rrs MY's there were some increases but not massive ill give you

The nearest spec volvo i could get to the disco was £65k...for a volvo and whilst the disco is more when you are in that range its still a lot!
 Mike  
Post #207636515th Aug 2019 9:32 pm
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Oddly I came close to spending circa £100k cash on a FFRR and would have done if the dealer could be arzd to return my calls. In the end I spent £14k on a 6 year old D4 HSE in Feb this year that does all I needed it to do. The £85k difference I invested instead of buying the FFRR has given me, at today’s prices, a £27k uplift Very Happy Which is probably what the FFRR would have lost in depreciation and I suspect so would the D5.

My next new car will be a Rivian or as close to it as I can get from another manufacturer. My relationship with LR is at an end as far as new cars are concerned. Sad
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #207637315th Aug 2019 10:57 pm
mse

Actually ignoring 2 land rover dealers - all car dealers are the same and the experience you had with LR dealers is exactly what all of them are like, unless perhaps they are behind on sales

Rivian has to be one of the most ugly cars currently made? maybe it will grow - but the new defender is better than that or the merc, i would just wait to the full electric LRs come along personally, if your into killing the planet with electric cars of course. I wouldnt mind the RRS PHEV but the larger disco wins, so look forward to the electric versions (not that i think electric powered cars are the answer).
 Mike  
Post #207639016th Aug 2019 6:44 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >