Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Daytime running lights.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
slick91

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

My understanding is

Technically they aren't "real" DRL's the manufacture just claims you can have them switched on which is just having your lights on all the time. Which annoys me as the rears are lit 24/7 now whether the switch is in Auto or off.

I seen someone say you can buy them and they fit in the lower bumber but aren't cheap.

Post #135731313th Oct 2014 1:25 pm
discoteca

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As stated earlier in the thread the legal requirement to have DRLs applies to vehicles type approved after a certain date (Feb 2012 I think). The date of manufacture or sale is irrelevant. Type approval generally only occurs on a brand new model or where the changes to a model are so significant that type approval is required again (not common because it is an expensive process for the manufacturer).

Post #135742013th Oct 2014 4:25 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

slick91 wrote:
Hi all new to the discovery scene so be gentle lol,

Quick questions regarding DRL's I have just bought a 2010 D4 (facelift) and they dealer has switched on the DRL's on receipt it says Scandinavian settings. My question is this now you've cleared up the posh side lights questions. When DRL's are running should my rear lights inc number plate lights be on? I was under impression not.

Also not for this thread but has anyone had issues with the Alarm keep going off and the Panoramic roof being cracked? The dealers has us piggy in middle whilst they fight it out with a well known windscreen replacement company who say its already been replaced.

Had a choice between an XC90 and Disco 4 and having had to trade my Jaguar XF premium luxury in due to safety issues with child seats Im staring to wonder whether pushing the Disco rather than the XC90 was the correct decision Rolling Eyes Women and Children BAH lol was gutted either way to trade in the JAG.

Since they are both owned by TATA i thought the Disco would be just as good…. Question Question Question

Thanks all for they assistance…

Disco is away again so we'll see if the faults list get repaired…

sorry if I'm hijacking this thread… Bow down

What was the deal with the seats?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #135761413th Oct 2014 8:21 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

slick with the DRL's enabled you will have front and rear lights on, yours are set to Scandinavian so they are on all the time, the other setting is Canadian which means they are on only when you put the car into gear. On my previous D4 I used my Nanocom to switch on the Scandinavian setting.
You say that DRL's should only illuminate the front lights but on my MY2015 (which has to be fitted with DRL's for the new legislation) has front side lights and rear lights illuminated Thumbs Up
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #135765013th Oct 2014 9:11 pm
discoteca

Hairy Dan I doubt very much that your MY 2015 "has to be fitted with DRLs for the new legislation". I would be very surprised indeed if LR had to re-type approve the D4 for a model year change, which is the only way it could require them legally.

Its is much more likely that LR simply chose to fit DRLs because its fashionable, every one else is doing it and in a way, to some, makes the car look more modern because latterly released, newer designed other vehicles, will have to have them by law.

Post #135769113th Oct 2014 9:52 pm
Lucero

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

My experience of DRLs across other brands is this. On my E60 5 series, the DRLs include the rear lights. I think this is the best and safest option (more on that later).

On the Discovery, it appears that there a few options. Scandanavian which lights up the front and rears and Canadian which only lights the fronts. DRLs of old (Volvos, etc) were always all lights.

Now that we enter the dawn of LEDs, Signature Lights, Halos and Angel eyes, we get even more confusing. For me, the DRLs on the D4 should simply be front signature bulbs (ie, not dipped beam) and the rear lights. This is the same for BMW, Audi, Merc, etc. If dipped beams lights are on with DRL, that removes the point and functionality of the Auto setting on the light switch, as that would just turn the lights on / off as required.

The "auto" setting in the BMW is DRL all the time, dipped beam when dark or weather.

Safety, is the last aspect for me. People who think they have DRLs and their lights are "Auto" that get confused. As I say, with LEDs side lights being brighter than most old halogen units, it's possible to believe you are driving with your lights on, when in fact you aren't, just like the red Nissan I almost hit on Tuesday evening in the dark on the A34 who had no rear lights illuminated at all (not even number plate) but had front LED DRLS....

Post #135962417th Oct 2014 9:13 am
slick91

caverD3 wrote:
slick91 wrote:
Hi all new to the discovery scene so be gentle lol,

Quick questions regarding DRL's I have just bought a 2010 D4 (facelift) and they dealer has switched on the DRL's on receipt it says Scandinavian settings. My question is this now you've cleared up the posh side lights questions. When DRL's are running should my rear lights inc number plate lights be on? I was under impression not.

Also not for this thread but has anyone had issues with the Alarm keep going off and the Panoramic roof being cracked? The dealers has us piggy in middle whilst they fight it out with a well known windscreen replacement company who say its already been replaced.

Had a choice between an XC90 and Disco 4 and having had to trade my Jaguar XF premium luxury in due to safety issues with child seats Im staring to wonder whether pushing the Disco rather than the XC90 was the correct decision Rolling Eyes Women and Children BAH lol was gutted either way to trade in the JAG.

Since they are both owned by TATA i thought the Disco would be just as good…. Question Question Question

Thanks all for they assistance…

Disco is away again so we'll see if the faults list get repaired…

sorry if I'm hijacking this thread… Bow down

What was the deal with the seats?

caverD3 and Hairy Dan,

CaverD3 lol I needed a 7 seater as its has three full size seats in rear then the other 2 in back of the Jag you only get a smaller seat in middle and car seats weren't fitting securely enough so it had to go….

Hair dan thanks for the update I've since decided to have the scandanavian setting switched off its back to normal and left on auto so sorted lol, I now know i don't have DRL's lol….

Thanks by the way appreciate it….

Car is nothing short of a pain in the rear now its the folding mirrors but thats for another thread….

Thumbs Up

Post #135992217th Oct 2014 6:33 pm
Hairy Dan

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Lucero wrote:
just like the red Nissan I almost hit on Tuesday evening in the dark on the A34 who had no rear lights illuminated at all (not even number plate) but had front LED DRLS....

There is a silly bint around here that has a new Nissan Cashcow and I have seen her a couple of times this week in the dark with just her front DRL's on and no rear lights Evil or Very Mad
 Cheers Ian
--------------------
Club N.E.R.D.S
Kielder 4x4 Safari
Discoless 

Post #136006817th Oct 2014 9:04 pm
slick91

surely the dash isn't lit with DRL's on if so thats the problem they should make it so they don't……

saying that seen plenty of tools driving at night with no lights on and after flashing them like mad they still drive past and don't switch them on…… licence removal should come into force with a slap lol.

Post #136007317th Oct 2014 9:11 pm
discoteca

Lucero wrote:
My experience of DRLs across other brands is this. On my E60 5 series, the DRLs include the rear lights.

That is unusual. I can't think of any brand or vehicle that has factory fitted specific DRLs (i.e. those not using the headlights as DRLs like a lot of recent Volvos or D3/D4 set to Canadian/Scandinavian) that illuminate the tail/number plate lights along with the DRLs.

Post #136014917th Oct 2014 11:12 pm
discoteca

Hairy Dan wrote:
Lucero wrote:
just like the red Nissan I almost hit on Tuesday evening in the dark on the A34 who had no rear lights illuminated at all (not even number plate) but had front LED DRLS....

There is a silly bint around here that has a new Nissan Cashcow and I have seen her a couple of times this week in the dark with just her front DRL's on and no rear lights Evil or Very Mad

Of course she is, in her previous car she will have been driving around with no lights on at all Evil or Very Mad . She is obviously thick and simply doesn't know when to put lights on, probably doesn't even know her car has DRLs or what they are. Be thankful the law has changed and she now has at least some lighting at the front.

I'm constantly amazed how many people I see driving round with insufficient lighting for the weather/road conditions, it irritates the hell out of me.

Post #136015217th Oct 2014 11:27 pm
Jlrjim

Have seen both MY14 D4s with front DRLs on and no rears, and MY14 D4s with front DRLs on and rears ON too...is there any logic to this setting? weird? Or was there a production change at a specific VIN number?

Post #147454516th May 2015 11:59 am
Baltazar

Slovenia 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 S Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

I have a MY16 with halogen lamps and no automatic mode. When my light switch is in off position, engine is running, gearbox in not in P and EPB is not activated, DRLs do turn on but only the front ones.

Does anybody know if rear lights can be set to switch on as well when front DRLs are on? Is it a job for an IID tool or a dealer?

Post #158288025th Dec 2015 11:00 am
fester

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

how hard would it be to take the d4 lights apart and swap the leds for say 50/50 bright leds,just asking
 you get what you pay for  
Post #221146117th Feb 2021 12:35 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Baltazar wrote:
I have a MY16 with halogen lamps and no automatic mode. When my light switch is in off position, engine is running, gearbox in not in P and EPB is not activated, DRLs do turn on but only the front ones.

Does anybody know if rear lights can be set to switch on as well when front DRLs are on? Is it a job for an IID tool or a dealer?

Can be done with an iid tool... I did this with my D3 and ran in Scandinavian mode with both front and rears on all the time, until I fitted DRL/fog lights in the front bumper and had then wired to come on with the ignition...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #221147017th Feb 2021 12:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12