Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Purchase of D3/D4
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Mowerman51

England 
Purchase of D3/D4

If this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it...…………..

I`m looking at D3 tomorrow - https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201901194094078

I know there`s a long list of things to look at but any "odd" suggestions that might help will be gratefully received!! This one does have full service history and a load of invoices, which could be good or bad I suppose!? I`m thinking of things like dodgy rear hatch hinges that sort of thing.
Many thanks
Steve

Post #202986818th Feb 2019 7:11 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Can't open that link, but the rear hatch hinges would be the least of your worries. Apart from the major items like T belts, you want to see transmission and drive line maintenance especially if its an auto, but manual too.
Good general service records are a must. Carefully inspect the underbody, rust on chassis especially from rear axel to rear bumper and above the spare wheel well. Check carefully the sills as the plastic sill cover can hide many sins. Check thoroughly the operation of the suspension settings, and the of road high and low ranges. Press every button and make sure it works. On the road the ride should be steady, torquey response from above 1500 rpm. Turn radio off and listen for noises, vibration,rumbling, whining throughout the speed range. Any noise walk away!

Standard brakes are not impressive on these, but they should stop you without fuss, noises, vibrations or steering pull.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #202987718th Feb 2019 7:35 pm
Charliecloud

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

It's running 20" wheels with 40 profile tyres which may be fine for nice smooth roads, however you may want to change them after driving it, as they will tramline. Check for actual invoices on the belts or they haven't been done.

As it's a HSE with sunroofs, factor in to sort the sunroof drain elbows as they will have failed or will do soon. Check the carpets under the mats, press hard and see if they are wet.

As previously said, take your time and check all electrics work, press all the buttons and make sure everything works as it should. Inc the parking sensors F&R. Take your time and walk away if it feels wrong.

Post #202989918th Feb 2019 8:30 pm
dazzer252

United Kingdom 

The dealer looks ok and I can't find any negative issues on the feedback I can find. I see they offer an extended warranty but read the small print, if it excludes failure due to wear and tear then on a car that old they will wriggle out of paying most claims.

As has been said above just get in the car and try everything to check it works and if you know a mechanic pay them to give it the once over before committing. That one should have had the cam belts done on age so I would want to see an invoice showing this was done

I have just spent the last month looking for a D4 to move to from our xtrail and some of the lower mileage ones were actually the worse in terms of condition and clearly hadn't been looked after. We have just found a nice late 2013 one that has 1 previous owner and FSH and looks like new with 76k on the clock. I have a mechanic mate looking at it weds so if all goes well hope to collect next week.

Good luck and just don't rush.... there are lots out there so find the right one👍

Post #202990418th Feb 2019 8:38 pm
Mowerman51

England 
Purchase of D3/D4

Charliecloud wrote:
It's running 20" wheels with 40 profile tyres which may be fine for nice smooth roads, however you may want to change them after driving it, as they will tramline. Check for actual invoices on the belts or they haven't been done.

As it's a HSE with sunroofs, factor in to sort the sunroof drain elbows as they will have failed or will do soon. Check the carpets under the mats, press hard and see if they are wet.

As previously said, take your time and check all electrics work, press all the buttons and make sure everything works as it should. Inc the parking sensors F&R. Take your time and walk away if it feels wrong.

Cheers for the feedback, tyres (and wheels) is one thing I`d want to change. I know it`s subjective but for my use I was thinking of 19`s and General Grabber AT3 or similar, may stick with the 20`s tho` in my experience the price for 20`s rockets and there`s not normally a wide range of tyres available!!

Post #202993018th Feb 2019 9:22 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >