Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

what about Depreciation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
vortexring

United Kingdom 
what about Depreciation

Im looking buying a D3 HSE very shortly, however speaking to (another make car dealer) He reckons were all in for a big loss with the D3. what do you all think is the amount lost in the first year, and is buying the HSE sensible or would the % loss on a lesser speced model be less. any thoughts appreciated.

Post #450761st Mar 2006 7:21 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is not for sale yet, but according to most of the mags, the D3 has one of the best residuals around at 3 years.

Post #450791st Mar 2006 7:26 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Big Loss

THey are bound to say that Twisted Evil
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication ray@rld-tech.co.uk D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #450811st Mar 2006 7:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MVS

If you look at any of the predicted 1,2,& 3 year residuals in any of the mags, the D3 or god forbid the XC90 have similar figures. Both of these are better than say a similar cost of BM 5 series estate or E class est for example. Usually by between 5-10%.

So you should be better off in a D3 than cars of a similar value.

Comparing different specs of D3's the usual mags figures they are broadly similar across the spec range, so if you spend more, you will lose more proportionatly. Obviously 1st year dep is the worst, so keep anything longer and the pain is slightly forgotten.

The only other factor is 'sale-ability'. If you buy a gold or white car in the UK don't expect a good trade in/ or even an offer of a trade in.

Post #450881st Mar 2006 7:51 pm
croyde

My brand new Boxster was supposed to have solid as a rock residuals, had to wait 5 months for it and the magazines still say one of the best cars for low depreciation that you can buy.

Problem is that at that cost £40K+ brand new, only a dealer will be willing to pay money for a 1 to 3 year old car and they know it, thus you get shafted.

Very difficult to shift a second hand car for £20+ without dealer style "peace of mind".

Moral of the story is:

Buy a car to own not to sell.

Post #451001st Mar 2006 8:30 pm
gmidghall

Isle Of Man 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Hi,
I bought a 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Nov 05 with extras dvd player, privacy glass, side tubes, wood trim on dash and 20" alloys genuine RRS wheels that cost £3,000 alone. With only 2,800 miles I've only been offered £35,000, which makes a loss of over £14,000 in 4 months. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Post #451141st Mar 2006 9:11 pm
dazzpowder

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

gmidghall wrote:
Hi,
I bought a 2.7 TDV6 HSE in Nov 05 with extras dvd player, privacy glass, side tubes, wood trim on dash and 20" alloys genuine RRS wheels that cost £3,000 alone. With only 2,800 miles I've only been offered £35,000, which makes a loss of over £14,000 in 4 months. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

How on earth does that work out if you can't buy a second hand RRS for less than £43K

Post #451151st Mar 2006 9:18 pm
gmidghall

Isle Of Man 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

No sorry thats a D3, I fitted RRS wheels on, and the D3 is silver with black leather so I dont know how they loose so much money!!!!!!!

Post #451191st Mar 2006 9:25 pm
MVS

You have to remember vehicle values are based on their model and basic factory spec only. Any self respecting dealer will offer you nothing for the value of any non standard extras over and above the cars normal spec as a trade in.

That doesn't mean that he isn't going to mark your car up to make something out of them when he sells it! That's what called being a motor trader.

So in the above examples, in the HSE, base your trade in value on a standard HSE new value not the invoice price and the retained proportion of this.

The RRS is the same just the other way round, the first owner has lost a packet and the dealer is trying to sell for the maximum the market will allow. Chances are it is adealer demo or a LR car, even so the rules still apply.

Post #451732nd Mar 2006 7:57 am
Nickhearne

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

HSE will drop about 10k in the first year, as I have been looking for a replacement one I can get a less than year old one with around 12 to 15K on the clock from a land rover dealer for around £34500 B4 knocking them!
 Range Rover Sport Estate 2.0 P400e Hse Dynamic Black
D4 HSE Santorini Black
Almond Arabica hide & Walnut trim Now sold
Discovery 3 TDV6 SE
Zambezi Silver Ebony leather Now sold 

Post #451782nd Mar 2006 9:25 am
k1w1

I'd agree Nick. I paid £35 for my HSE at 12 months old, but it had higher mileage.

Post #452032nd Mar 2006 12:55 pm
SN

k1w1 wrote:
I'd agree Nick. I paid £35 for my HSE at 12 months old, but it had higher mileage.
I'm not going to do the "where did you get it from for less than a hundred quid" joke, I'm not, honestly" Laughing Laughing Wink Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #452062nd Mar 2006 1:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
k1w1

Some guy down in Kent, actually. Last weekend. Said he needed to offload FAST. At first I was a little suspicious of white Renault lorry, but he assured me all was well.

Post #452082nd Mar 2006 1:08 pm
SN

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #452102nd Mar 2006 1:14 pm
dysynni

2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Depreciation

Sadly, whatever a dealer tells you, you will always lose a chunk of money on new cars. I paid 17k off list price for a 1 year old V8 HSE with 15k miles, which seemed a pretty good deal as it has many toys. Razz I have rarely got back more than half list on selling a car which means that I now refuse to buy new cars.

This may attract the wrath of those buying new, but I tend to find that on car discussion forums, owners are not the most objective when it comes to dicussions of second-hand values!

My example clearly illustrates the fact that the greatest loss will be in year 1. So if you buy new, make sure you want to own for at least three years!

Post #452112nd Mar 2006 1:14 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >