Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Diesel Leak!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
northernpar

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Diesel Leak!!

Last March I noticed a strong smell of diesel from the Disco so as it was still under warranty (warranty expired end March 2009) put it into Town & County in Aberdeen. A quick inspection later and a new diesel tank was diagnosed. Since then the wife has been driving it and only fills the tank up to 1/2 or 3/4 full. Over Christmas I was driving it through the bad weather and decided to fill her up. As normal I fill the tank full, drove home and there was again a strong smell of diesel. The Disco was going in for the brake vacuum recall so asked them to take a look. Got a phone call late this afternoon stating that the leak is from the top of the tank and a new tank is required (same diagnosis, same rectification as the original fault/repair). I then stated that even although the car is out of warranty this work should still be covered under a 12 month warranty period for servicing/repairs only to be told that and repair/service work carried out under warranty is only covered until the end of the original manufacturers 3y warranty. The example given to me was if the engine was replaced under warranty 1 day before the manufacturers warranty expires and then blows up 1 day after the warranty expires then it is not covered!

After some digging about on the LR sites it would appear that a clause was added to the warranty conditions some time after April 2006 which states exactly the above. The warranty booklet that I received with the car (bought new in March 2006) does not include this clause. Now if the leak was caused by something unrelated to the original fault/repair then fair play it should not be covered however if the fault was due to incorrect diagnosis/repair then thsi should still be honoured as the original fault was not corrected properly at no fault of the owner.

T&C have stated that they are talking to LR on this one to see what they will do. If the issue is down to poor workmanship by T&C then I could see LR maintaining the above stance which leaves me to battle with T&C although the warranty booklet I have does not explicitly state that cover for repairs ceases with the original warranty so I have another angle. Also taken a look at the SMMT Code of Conduct which provides guidance but nothing conclusive plus they have no real power on this except arbitration services. I also plan to call the OFT to establish my legal position on this one as I belive that I am covered by Statutory Law which the LR warranty cannot superceded. Hopefully common sense will prevail other wise I face a repair bill and possible a small claims court action against T&C/LR.

Anyone else has this issue?

Post #5957722nd Feb 2010 9:21 pm
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi mate,

why did they replace the tank ?? what exactly do they think is wrong with it.

I have had some problems with my tank in that the fuel gauge is problematic below half full in that it goes back up !!!! We think the sender arm is fouling the side of the tank.

In taking tank in and out 3 times it has leaked twice !! Each time it was the gasket on the top of the tank where the fuel pump and sender fits, it seems that this is easy to damage. The first time dumped £40 of diesel on a supermarket forecourt !

Also, note that I have been waiting for a fuel tank since mid november, it seems the manufacturer of the D3 tank has gone bust, and they are coming up with a way of fitting a D4 tank in it, but they are still engineering it as the FBH pipes are different on the D4.

Look up the link on here about rodent damage, there is some info on there ref tanks, i'll try and post the link for you.

Paul
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #5958993rd Feb 2010 12:21 am
paulJ1

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

This is the Post your looking for. Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic43009.html?highlight=fuel+tank
 Got our Disco... Love it.....  
Post #5959013rd Feb 2010 12:27 am
northernpar

Unnecessary quote removed

Thanks mate. Rodent damage interesting as I live out in the sticks and know that the mice have been in about the RS4 although thankfully only nibbling at the engine soundproofing.

Last time the leak was from the top of the tank. The only info I got from the dealer was that a new tank is required. This was refitted back in March however speaking to the dealer today they suspect the seal around the fuel pump/sender unit although would need to drop the tank to confirm. Apparently they can't replace this part separately so a new tank is required. If it's rodent damage then I guess I'll have to accept the costs but there are no other signs of rodent activity on this car.

On the warranty situation I spoke with the SMMT who advised to contact ConsumerDirect for some free legal advice. They advised that regardless of the original warranty that I am covered by the Sale of Goods and Services Act 1982 and by Scottish Common Law which stipulates that any work should a) be completed with reasonable care and skill and b) use parts which are fit for purpose. If it's the tank that has failed again then part b) comes into play and if it's because the dealer didn't do the job properly the part a) comes into play. Spoke to LR customer services with the history/information who weren't interested at all and backed off completely and basically stated that the issue was with me and the dealer. Spoke to the dealer late afternoon to advise of LR CS response and my legal position from SMMT/CD and they are starting to sit up and take notice. It would appear that they concede that this is not acceptable but don't want to be left footing the bill for sub-standard parts supplied by LR (which is understandable) so are in discussion with LR for resolution. Hopefully this will get resolved without resorting to a small claims action.

I'll keep the forum updated with how I get on but for other issues such as this worth keeping SMMT and ConsumerDirect in mind as if I don't get a positive response both organisations have stated that they would take the matter further on my behalf.

Post #5962413rd Feb 2010 6:35 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Sounds like mices Thumbs Up It's well documented on here maybe a dozen so far with similar ...If so, not a warranty job Sad
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #5962523rd Feb 2010 6:46 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

If it is rodent damage and Nick (TheLargeOne) has no update on the supply of D3 diesel tanks, then you may be better off repairing the gnawed elbow - at least two owners have done this rather than replacement.

Also, if it is of assistance, I successfully claimed the cost of a tank swap from NFU insurance (who ought to be the most understanding insurers on this type of incident).

Edit: spelling mistake; also noting loss of most of NCB on insurance renewal following claim. Might now have rodent damage on suspension... Big Cry
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Last edited by DrLex on 22nd Feb 2010 8:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #5963073rd Feb 2010 7:54 pm
northernpar

Unnecessary quote removed

That's my thinking at the moment. Seems funny that for the best part of 3 years the car is parked in the same place with no rodent issues then a tank change and a possible rodent attack. Wonder if the material was changed on the elbow part that makes it irresistable to them mices!. On the RS4 the Censored have a penchant for the insulation on the lamda sensors plus the noise proofing. Might have a chat with my local independant to see about repairs and future proofing for mice. Should be able to fab up an elbow cover out of thin plate steel/ally and clamp on with a hose clip. Not sure about how to mend the plastic pipe though.

Will also consult the insurance docs to see if this is covered (Direct Line) as a new D4 tank might be the way to go once the tanks/fitting kits become available.

Post #5963433rd Feb 2010 8:52 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I don't know why they don't put a protective sleave over the elbow when they replace it. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5964323rd Feb 2010 10:26 pm
drmcw

United Kingdom 

I'd replace the cat!

Post #5964963rd Feb 2010 11:22 pm
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

DG wrote:
Sounds like mices Thumbs Up It's well documented on here maybe a dozen so far with similar ...If so, not a warranty job Sad

Years ago my father would always complain that electricians that he worked with (commercial and industrial venues) NEVER properly washed their hands after lunch. He reckoned that a lot of the mice problems with wiring was related to the attractive traces left on wiring and connections.

Maybe the service centre had staff complete the replacement of the original tank just after the staff had had lunch. Or maybe the plastics used give off an irresistable odour to mice and other rodents?
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #5965654th Feb 2010 1:48 am
northernpar

Well it's confirmed. A rodent attack on the elbow for the breather pipe on top of the tank. Exactly like the pictures on the other postings on this subject Big Cry

Managed to lower the tank enough on a couple of jacks with one side of the car on 3 ton axle stands to get my arm in for a feel without needing to disconnect anything. Definite hole around the size of my thumbnail where the little blighters have had a go. Managed to degrease and clean and apply a liberal dose of Tigerseal so hopefully that will hold until I take the tank off and do a proper repair job although with the low temperatures I'm not sure how quick/well it will cure. I guess the positive is that I now know where the leak is from an how to fix it.

Only the suspension fault to fix now!

Post #60811822nd Feb 2010 8:01 pm
northernpar

Looks like I may have been a bit over-zealous with the Tigerseal repair. The missus is complaining that it now takes ages to fill the tank so I guess i may have created a restriction in the breather line. On the plus side it confirms that the hole is sealed and will deter her from filling the tank full!

Been planning a proper repair in the meantime and am looking at an Araldite patch for the hole plus a fibreglass wrap around the elbow. Might seem excessive but as I live out in the sticks it's a matter of when, not if, the critters have another go so want to make sure it's fully rodent proof!

Post #61151527th Feb 2010 8:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >