Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D3)

Differential Lock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BUDD05

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Differential Lock

Hi all just bought an 06 D3 HSE, was wondering if the standard electronic rear diff lock is able to be fitted now or does it have to be fitted during build?
Cheers
Tim
 2006 D3 HSE  
Post #60313814th Feb 2010 2:52 am
wopac5

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Hello Budd... My 06 SE is fitted with the diff...it was a factory only option, and still is.
Not being a dealer fit option, I doubt you will be able to retro fit after market.
I bet ARB or similar, have aftermarket air lockers or something available, but an intergrated electric diff will be a little more difficult.
As always, anything is possible, but somethings are more expensive than others.

Post #60313914th Feb 2010 4:06 am
BUDD05

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thanks for the reply, thought as much but had to ask.
 2006 D3 HSE  
Post #60354814th Feb 2010 11:27 pm
WayneD

Location: Sydney Darwin ,Singapore, USA, UK and now country NSW

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

budd
Think I read somewhere recently that ARB were doing a diff lock for the D3.

If you have only had the vehicle a short while and not taken it off road you will be pleasantly surprised what it can do without a diff lock, maybe you can save yourself a few dollars (temporarily as you can always find something else to buy for the D3)
 Take the road less traveled. Dual battery system.ORS drawers,LR cargo Barrier.ARB Bull bar,side protection bars,Mickey Thompson ATR's 17" rims, Rear wheel carrier, radiator guard TPMS Mitchell Bros Tow Hitch LR RAI Steel Rims , GME UHF, Off Road GPS, Llams (yet to be fitted)  
Post #60358315th Feb 2010 12:15 am
StornowaySA

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

No, ARB aren't looking at it anymore I'm afraid; too complex I suspect - what with the t/c and Terrain response etc.... Sad

Believe it or not local landrover Dealer said it would be technically possible to retro- fit an e-diff to a D3 ……BUT the e-diff assembly exchange would be $2500 PLUS you need a new ECU for the e-diff PLUS a new ECU for transfer box Plus a new Body Control Module- then add all the wiring harnesses. Budget BIG. Laughing
 MY2010 D4 HSE 3.0, e-diff, 19inch MTR's; LLAMS Height adjustor, LR f & r light guards, LR side steps, LR bright finish side door mouldings; LR/Mantec G4 front bash plate, LR G4 Winch kit, Warn 9500lb Winch; GOE compressor guard, Uniden UHF, LR bright finish roof rails, LR G4 driving light kit, LR G4 ladder, 4 x extra rear compartment 12V sockets, Traxide dual battery system and Optima Yellowtop battery, ORS drawer system / fridge slide, LED rear compartment lighting.  
Post #60360915th Feb 2010 3:15 am
Roel

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I have the E-reardiff and I like it. Would I take that option when I would buy new? Probably yes. Would I spend much money to have it installed in an excisting car? Probably not.

How much do you need the rear e-diff? Personally with normal off-roading TC is good enough. I think if you want to carefully crawl over rocks there it bring the difference. In such a case the E-diff prevent wheellspin while TC only kicks in when there is wheelspin. So when you drive in mud etc TC is good enough but for rockcrawling it is perfect.
This is my oppinion it doesn't have to correspond with others.

I think it would be difficult to make an aftermarket product that doesn't cause faultcodes in the LR system.
I heard that is some cases the detroit locker causes already problems when fitted in a Puma defender.
 Roel

1997 Camel Trophy Disco ex-P101JWK (traded it for a Britains 42101)
1984 90 TD5
2005 G4 Disco 3 BN55WPT

Also member of club MTR
and Club Faultmate

Interested in my 4x4 history see my website: www.mudmachine.webklik.nl
Sorry it's in Dutch and with google translator it gets funny. 

Post #60370215th Feb 2010 11:21 am
Jean-Paul

Greece 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

how is the 4 wheel drive disributed in a percentage ?
for instance 50f-50r ?
 J.p  
Post #60424316th Feb 2010 8:17 am
~Rich~

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Roel wrote:
I have the E-reardiff and I like it. Would I take that option when I would buy new? Probably yes. Would I spend much money to have it installed in an excisting car? Probably not.

How much do you need the rear e-diff? Personally with normal off-roading TC is good enough. I think if you want to carefully crawl over rocks there it bring the difference. In such a case the E-diff prevent wheellspin while TC only kicks in when there is wheelspin. So when you drive in mud etc TC is good enough but for rockcrawling it is perfect.
This is my oppinion it doesn't have to correspond with others.

I think it would be difficult to make an aftermarket product that doesn't cause faultcodes in the LR system.
I heard that is some cases the detroit locker causes already problems when fitted in a Puma defender.

Well said, exactly if you have the choice yes get it if you expect to use it. Wink
But if the only ones you can find don't have it, don't worry about retro fitting one.
I bought a 05 HSE TDV6 from a dealer in Perth (I'm in Sydney) I'm sure they did not know it had a eDiff! Nice surprise for me when I had a look. Smile
 2005 TDV6 HSE Silver, LLAMS Height Controller, Tinted Glass, Onroad - 19" GG AT's, Offroad - 18" 275/65 MT, Traxside Dual Battery kit, Rasta Protection Plate, Alpine Roof, BAS Remap, ARB Air Compressor, eDiff Smile Custom Drawer and storage unit -http://www.box.com/s/jem0ilac3cner2mexq64 UHF CB, 4x4 Intellegence RWC, 120ltr Long range tank, Rock Sliders and Compressor protection plate Beanie grill, De Tango.  
Post #60426416th Feb 2010 9:31 am
Fogga

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I have been looking into the same thing; upgrading my rear diff.

I contacted the Norwegian importer and asked if it was possible to upgrade, and they said no. But i didn't stop there so i called LR in the UK and spoke with a nice lady that looked that up for me. And the answer from LR UK was positive. It is possible. I just had to contact my local dealer. LR UK never said how, but after some checking around, and speaking with the local dealer, i think i have found out how its done.

The short version is that I need to change the rear diff, fit the ECU for the e-diff, change the electric harness on the left side of the car that runs from the dash and back to the rear left wheel. And access the main ECU in "engineering mode" to activate the rear e-diff. I can't yet give the long version since I haven't got all the answers. I'm still connecting loose ends to find out exactly what I need to do.

After checking in microcat which parts i need, the sum of the parts alone is in £2000-2500 range (in Norway).

Post #61022325th Feb 2010 7:05 pm
oddboy

United Kingdom 

how do you know if you have ediff or not ? on the 4X4 info screen it shows 2 padlocks 1 at the front and 1 at the back is this it ?
 Richard
club none owner 

Post #61023225th Feb 2010 7:32 pm
J@mes

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No you have to get under the back and have a look, there is a picture on here somewhere which shows you what you are looking for.
 2014 D4 XS
2005 D3 SE - Gone 

Post #61023325th Feb 2010 7:35 pm
sarumlight

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic23883.html - photo is in there somewhere!

Post #61030625th Feb 2010 9:36 pm
Preacher

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

ROEL

Thanks, very well put.
dj

Post #6122591st Mar 2010 12:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >