DISCO4.COM > General

Dilemma - would like your thoughts!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
pgerman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Dilemma - would like your thoughts!

Hi all,

I currently run a Disco 3 for off-roading/shooting and a 2011 4.4 TDV8 L322 Range Rover for every day and one of them has to go as I am buying a new Defender (Yes I know I have just opened the door for ridicule!) Razz

The D3 is an 05 with 193k and I have had it since 2007. Over the last few years its had a full suspension rebuild, gearbox refurb less that 5k miles ago along with a new turbo two months back; and within reason anything its ever needed has been fixed/replaced so it pretty much drives like new and I service it every 6k miles. Its got full Mantec underbody protection, Prospeed roof rack, ladder and compressor guard, full two sets of spare wheels so if I split everything then I think I can recoup circa £6k when I sell everything thinking the car is around £3.5k.

The L322 is a Vogue SE and is in a different league in terms of refinement and comfort. Has 96k on the clock and pulls like train. I am wondering whether I just get shot of the Disco and relegate the L322 to off-roader/shooting car. For this I think this I'll get around £16k.

So, what would you do because I change my mind like the wind on this one!

Paul

Post #229204318th May 2022 10:13 am
jimbo55

The cynical side of me says sell the disco and sell me the prospeed gear 😂

How seriously off road you want to go and if you’re willing to take a few scrapes and scratches on the RR? I think that is probably one of the main influencing factors along with the finances. The range rovers are great cars and on the whole seam to be a bit less troublesome than discos. Do you ever need thre 7 seats or additional space of the disco? If not then the RR is probably the safer bet

Other option is to use the new defender as it’s intended and take that off road as they are amazingly capable vehicles, but you come back to the same damage risk question again

Post #229205118th May 2022 11:06 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I have a feeling that the Defender's boot, and access to it make the D3 or FFRR better for shooting.

Certainly when I'm away shooting the boot has to take my flatcoated retriever in a cage, plus shooting gear for a minimum of 2, often 3, sometimes 4 people. I can't see that working with the Defender, but very happy to be proved wrong.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #229205418th May 2022 11:21 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Why does getting a new Defender open you up to ridicule? They are most definitely the real deal.

Personally I’d be getting rid of the one that costs most to own. The Defender will easily replicate the Rangies ride and comfort, so for me, the RR goes. The D3 is disposable, so keep it and run it to death.

Post #229205518th May 2022 11:24 am
James W

United Kingdom 

I agree - you don't need two for 'best' so I'd get the value back in the FFRR, enjoy the Defender (how often would you grab the FFRR keys versus a new Defender to play with, let's be honest) and keep the D3 as a toy, especially as you've sunk a lot of effort into it so you'll be more personally invested in it.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - Gone to someone with less sense and more time to enjoy it Very Happy
2016 Toyota Hilux Invincible - Liberating experience 

Post #229206518th May 2022 12:53 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

keep both still much cheaper than "investing" in 60K Defender defo not worth that amount of cash Wink

Post #229206718th May 2022 1:15 pm
RogB

United Kingdom 

+1 for getting rid of the FFRR, youll get more cash for it which can go for maintenance on your D3 which is probably more practical and less precious for off roading etc.
 2011 D4 XS 305 MY12 - gone but not forgotten  
Post #229207318th May 2022 1:36 pm
pgerman

Gareth wrote:
Why does getting a new Defender open you up to ridicule? They are most definitely the real deal.

Just joking! I know how people like to take the p!55. On the Defender, I was surprised at how much of 'the real deal' they are and why I've opted for one.

Post #229208118th May 2022 2:32 pm
pgerman

jimbo55 wrote:
The cynical side of me says sell the disco and sell me the prospeed gear 😂

How seriously off road you want to go and if you’re willing to take a few scrapes and scratches on the RR? I think that is probably one of the main influencing factors along with the finances. The range rovers are great cars and on the whole seam to be a bit less troublesome than discos. Do you ever need thre 7 seats or additional space of the disco? If not then the RR is probably the safer bet

Other option is to use the new defender as it’s intended and take that off road as they are amazingly capable vehicles, but you come back to the same damage risk question again

I'll take that as dibs if I do get rid of the Disco Thumbs Up but to be honest I do look at the RR and think its too nice to ruin off-road and would likely serve as a nice car from someone for years to come.

New Defender has 7 seats so thats not an issue and I only really off-road 4 to 5 times a year seriously so unless the Disco goes bang there's not a lot of things left that will need doing or at great expense! The rest is just shooting and hauling the family and dogs around when the weather is sh!te.

Taking the Defender off-road is not something I'm adverse to when needed but some of the stuff I do is damaging and therefore I'd rather not take when I have something cheaper at home. But to be honest, with all the grading of tracks that has happened over the last few years I don't think I'ld have a problem doing the lanes in a Ford Fiesta (with a body kit!).

Post #229208418th May 2022 2:42 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

RogB wrote:
+1 for getting rid of the FFRR, you'll get more cash for it which can go for maintenance on your D3 which is probably more practical and less precious for off roading etc.

or ... cancel the Deafener order and have LOADS more money for fixing dents in the D3 and polishing the seats of the FFRR.

Post #229208618th May 2022 2:48 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I’m with Gareth - despite the values you’ve detailed, the D3 is just about ‘disposable’ and with limited ongoing mileage is going to cost you ongoing maintenance with less of a hit on depreciation.

Conversely, the FFRR and the new Defender will duplicate each other and the potential loss of value if you use the FF to go off-road will be eye-watering.

Keep the D3, use the Defender for ‘best’ and, if you need to lose one, sell the full fat…
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #229240720th May 2022 8:16 pm
leeds

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteDiscovery 4

Well, Barbara bought a new Defender 110 and the D4 went in part ex.

New Defender is more comfortable then the D4, will motor if loud pedal depressed and tows very well.

Downside, load space is not as big as the D4 or old 110. The LR roof rack for the L663 is style over substance. Try fitting a hard shell roof tent and a 270 degree awning and you will soon see why. Off road the L663 is very capable in wide spaces however if lots of trees around etc I would rather be in my 300 TDi 110.

There is no one right answer to what vehicles to keep or sell, depends very much on personal circumstances and foreseeable needs.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Brendan

Post #229242620th May 2022 10:11 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

If you really can not decide, then put them Both up for sale and see which sells first Shocked

Decision made , although I think £16k for the FF the D3 will go first Exclamation

If my choice agree with others and sell the FF it duplicates roles more than the D3 does

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #229254521st May 2022 7:46 pm
Kummu24

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Easy choice i think. Disco is as off road ready as you need, and better for shooting and general load lugging and you seem to have done loads of repairs that you won’t see the money back for if you sell. Why should someone else get the benefit? I’d run it till it died, take off your goodies to sell and it’ll still be worth something to someone

Cash in the Rangie, have the Disco for work and the Defender for best. Simples
 Corris Grey SDV6 D4 2015 HSE
Adriatic Blue TDV6 D3 2004 SE (Gone)
Grey Freelander 1 TD4 SE 2001 (Gone) 

Post #229254721st May 2022 7:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >