Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Wheels & Tyres

Imbeded brake dust
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Imbeded brake dust

Has anyone else had problems with removing brake pad residue from their alloy wheels ?

Both rear wheels have after normal washing have black specs that are imbeded into the silver lacquer. normal brake dust cleaner (either Phosphoric acid based - Auto Glym or Hydrochloric acid based - Wonder wheels ) will not shift it. polishing with t-cut will get them out, but is a ball ache and I am not doing that again.

I have not had this problem either D2, and the fronts of the D3 are not as bad.

It is coming from the pads, but it could be they all do this, and it's crap lacquer on the wheels ?

Knowing the Americans had different pad material, as do the Far East market, so I guess this only applies to Europe.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #2421978th Jan 2008 8:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Yes I've noticed the same on both my 17" and 19" wheels. I don't think the quality of finish of LR alloys is up to much TBH, my 15 yr old BMW alloys still look better than my 2 yr old D3 alloys, after just a wash. I've given up trying now, the fingers hurt too much after all that polishing. Rolling Eyes

Post #2422028th Jan 2008 8:32 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

you could take a look at this:

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic15084.h...p;start=15

works for me Thumbs Up

Post #2422198th Jan 2008 8:58 pm
Ken

Cant see any brake dust on my Wheels Can you see any on yours Si Rolling with laughter

Post #2422238th Jan 2008 9:02 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Had the same thing, I used AutoGlym tar remover and it wiped off easily. I had tried Wonder Wheels but it wouldn't touch it.

Good thing about the tar remover is that it is designed for bodywork so it isn't abrasive or damaging. A bit of AutoGlym polish seems to keep the dirt off longer.

Post #2422248th Jan 2008 9:02 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Ken wrote:
Cant see any brake dust on my Wheels Can you see any on yours Si Rolling with laughter
Nope Whistle  
Post #2422308th Jan 2008 9:06 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

excessive brake dust on the rear wheel was a sign of problems with the park brake shoe hold-down pins....

Post #2422398th Jan 2008 9:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CG

10 - does this mean I am can expect failure of the EPB soon Question if that what is causing it

Countrywide - thanks I'll give that a try

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #2422528th Jan 2008 9:38 pm
Disco Dog

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

I had this, mainly on front wheels.

Dealer treated them with something for £40 and it solved the problem. They clean them first!!!
 2006 G4 Challenge Support Vehicle  
Post #2422578th Jan 2008 9:49 pm
CG

That make me think is poor lacquer on the wheels. The dealer is treating the wheels with a sealer of some discription.

Post #2422618th Jan 2008 9:53 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

You may have noticed that most of the brake dust 'pitting' problems apply to the 18" style 1 5-spoke wheels.
They seem to be very efficient at collecting whatever is flung at them due to the 'flat' shape of the rim. (Also a problem with the new 18" style 2's.

19" and old 18" style 2's have a nice curved rim that suffers less.

As posted above, a good coating of polish protects them well...
... but even better is a thick coat of mud Thumbs Up
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #2422788th Jan 2008 10:23 pm
KevF

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 4

Guys,

If you have used clay before, I tend to use a piece of clay specifically for wheels. Use it when washing the wheels down with the car wash mixture. This will remove all but the pitted stuff.
Once washed, dry off and then use a wheelwax such as Rimwax (unfortunate name) or I just use the same wax as on the bodywork, which is Collinite. This helps keep the wheel fronts a lot cleaner for longer and allows easy cleaning next time around.....

HTH

Kev

Post #2422958th Jan 2008 10:50 pm
craig

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

DaveT wrote:
... but even better is a thick coat of mud Thumbs Up

remember that well Dave Whistle
also remember your SWMBOs face when you got stuck Wink

Post #2422968th Jan 2008 10:51 pm
CG

I have tried some clay, it moved some, but not (as you say) the imbeded stuff.

The black imbeded bits I guess are bits of metal either from the pad material or from the disc, which are very hot and are imbeding into the clear powder coat lacquer. I am not sure however if the shave lacquer which is not resisting the hot bits of friction lining /disc or the D3 has brakes which shed hot metal filing more than other cars.

(I do know the US market uses (in general) a different friction lining material to stop the black dust upsetting the bling.)

Post #2423178th Jan 2008 11:21 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Rogue ... errr that might have been a little bit too much mud Laughing

Shiny Moose ... with perseverance the specks that look like they're welded into the wheel do come off.
I tried t-cut, tar remover, meths, white spirit, diesel, petrol, jif (cif), and a whole load of other stuff. Was about to try some Plymouth Export, then I came to my senses Very Happy (& sold the car!)

The next set were polished before use & have never suffered in the same way, but then they are my off-road set, and therefore do get coated in mud.

If I ever do properly clean them up again I think I'll try the Taz Daz Mr Muscle method. Looks good to me Thumbs Up
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #2423258th Jan 2008 11:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >