16%
 16%  [4]
>25%
8%
 8%  [2]
Total Votes: 25

Ecosse

Disco 3 Depreciation - How much?

We all know that LR represent the Disco 3 as being in high demand and likely to have low depreciation figures Very Happy , but what does that really mean in real life? Question
We are now some 9 months on for the 05 cars, and the launch vehicles must be almost a year old. So what are your guesses as to the likely depreciation during 2005 for a SE/HSE car Question - say a TDV6 registered at the start of the year, as the present petrol crisis may influence V8 values, on the basis of a trade in for another LR via a main dealer.

Post #221387th Oct 2005 9:01 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Your surely not selling up and leaving us all alone are you Ecosse ???

-s

Post #221467th Oct 2005 9:58 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I think I might know Ecosse's secret Wink

No idea about the depreciation though Neutral
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #221487th Oct 2005 10:15 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simon

Most mags peg the retained value after 3 years at 67% plus

-s

Post #221497th Oct 2005 10:21 pm
croyde

Personally I think that the depreciation values printed in the mags are overly optimistic.

The value for a Boxster is normally down as 65 to 70% but I do not know anyone, including myself, that has got anywhere near this.

The problem being that even after 3 years you are still selling at a price that most people do not want to risk the cash for so you have to sell to a dealer who will shaft you, then in turn will shaft a hopeful punter in order to make a load of dosh for Censored all work.

The fact that I had to wait 5 months for a poverty spec Boxster vs 1 week for a Disco 3 surely does not bode well for the Landy's residuals.

But I'm not bothered as I hope to keep the Land Rover for at least 10 years if not more, if it does not fall apart, touch wood.

Post #221617th Oct 2005 10:39 pm
Ecosse

croyde wrote:
Personally I think that the depreciation values printed in the mags are overly optimistic.

The problem being that even after 3 years you are still selling at a price that most people do not want to risk the cash for so you have to sell to a dealer who will shaft you, then in turn will shaft a hopeful punter in order to make a load of dosh for Censored all work.

Well summed up Wink

Post #221727th Oct 2005 10:59 pm
simon

Ecosse wrote:
croyde wrote:

Well summed up Wink

So what are you being told as a trade in value ?

-s

Post #221747th Oct 2005 11:09 pm
MVS

I would agree that the mag figures are optimistic. They seem to me to represent what a franchised dealer will sell a car for on an aproved used scheme, regardless of what the small print says.

In my personal experience, any trade in offer is going to be several thou less than quoted, and then its down to you as the punter to push the offer up by bargaining hard, cos dealers being dealers will always try and screw the uniformed.

Post #221858th Oct 2005 9:28 am
kaney

man paid £33,000 for disco3 (S) with privi glass & side trims dealer later sold it after 14,000 miles for £27,300 what he/she got off the dealer Question bet it was around £25,000 if that's anything to go off.

Post #221948th Oct 2005 12:50 pm
Ecosse

[quote="simon"][quote="Ecosse"]
croyde wrote:

So what are you being told as a trade in value ?

-s

On a 9 month old HSE with low mileage & extras, under 15% depreciation as a trade in. Sounds realistic, but the sting in the tail is that that is the average figure offered by garages selling rival makes.

Went to the local LR dealer & they quoted over 20% depreciation, and that was under pressure to provide a figure, which they wouldn't hold to once a new car arrived!! Interestingly, that would result in a 4k mark up for them on reselling the car (based on their forecourt prices) as well as the dealer profit on the new car Mad As they could well survive on a sale with no trade in, and a margin of 2k on a used car is the trade norm, they were clearly attempting to make an extra 2k+ on the turn.

When challenged, they blamed LR!! claiming that LR would not give them a good enough margin on the new cars!! Wink

So, moral of story is that the Disco3, is probably holding up well for depreciation, as long as you buy a rival's model to replace it!! - and yet again, Ford/LR and their dealers shoot themselves in the foot Very Happy

Post #222159th Oct 2005 9:22 am
tucker_j

England 

I have to say my dealer gave me top dollar trade price on my D2 as they were desperate to sell me a D3 (having missed the opportunity to sell me the D2 after failing to return my phone calls).

My D2 is on their forecourt for £2.8K more than they gave me. Considering it needed a 60K service + brakes, has to be warranted for 12 months and allowing for the fact they'll not actually get the screen price I think that is reasonable.

My six month old ex-demonstrator D3 was £3K below it's ticket price when new. Oh, and I also saved almost £2K in interest on the finance deal when I gave them a target monthly payment to achieve.

All in all a reasonable deal for all concerned IMHO

Post #222339th Oct 2005 6:43 pm
zig

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

The salesmen will tell you that they can sell the vehicles without giving any discounts. While this may be true of sales to some customers it is not to true of all customers.

Discounts of 4.5 to 5.5% (or more) should be achievable from some dealers.

In addition for orders placed before the end of August (September registration permitted) there was a £1000 loyality incentive from Land Rover if a Land Rover was traded in.

All of the above can be dressed up by the dealer to make you think that your trade in value is higher (and hence depreciation is lower) by minimising the stated discount.

However, what matters at the end of the day is the cost to change.

Post #2231810th Oct 2005 1:08 pm
DrLex

Iceland 

zig wrote:
..However, what matters at the end of the day is the cost to change.

Agreed.

I think the depreciation on a new HSE would be 20-25% in a year, based on the fact that more expensive vehicles depreciate slightly faster than base models and that the supply appears better than it was 6 months ago. That figure is on a cash purchase, cash sale basis.

The only reason that a vehicle like the Volvo XC90 had a market-defying second hand value was due to the combination of demand at the original low price & image and supply (not helped by the sinking of the supply ship with the first load inside).
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #2231910th Oct 2005 1:28 pm
tucker_j

England 

Well if we're talking cost of change, that's something else entirely.

The cost of change for me from a D2 to a D3 was £0.00, not a single penny was exchanged!

My monthly repayments increased by 7.62%. These were last set in June 2003 and are now fixed until 2010 (assuming I run the D3 for that long).

Being able to drive in with my old car and out with the new one without handing over any money was the single deciding factor for me to upgrade.

Post #2232410th Oct 2005 2:22 pm
discocam

England 

Confused dont know if this helps guys, we sold back our disco3 for a tomb raider 110 not long ago. we paid just under 40,000 £s for it new and it had 8000 miles on the clock when we sold it for £32000 back to the dealer. but if you have bought brand new youve already lost money because of the V A T you paid. say around £4-5 grand.
 disco1 and disco3 who could ask for more?
ONE LIFE LIVE IT 

Post #2242810th Oct 2005 9:34 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >