Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Disco 3 first thoughts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Disco 3 first thoughts

Picked it up yesterday after being driven to the garage where it was housed by the LR dealer. Who of course was driving a disco...couldn't help but cringe as he threw the beast into every twist and turn..my experience with a 4 x4..take time around the corners just need to hit some gravel or a pothole and u'll be clear across the next side of the road (well u don't have to worry about this in britain do u?).... any ways..Picked it up and drove home..Few things i did notice (couldn't could i?)..it's a HUGE vehicle..the bonnet seems like it was protruding out to God knows where..The turbo lag..Mein Gott! Sorry having driven a hilux surf b4 (3l td) and a friends new Prado, I have to say this will take some getting use to (plus i have to put in for a neck brace!)..The only time i've come across such a strong lag is the old defenders i used to drive in the bush...Well anyways..got good milage coming home (was 8.4 l/100 km at one point, settled on 9.5 after some freak M1 traffic).
Also, nearly ran over a Z4 couldn't see the little Censored in my rear view, then it popped out of nowhere when i was switching lanes..Plus i'm reminded its a 4 x 4 as i tried to swerve going 55 mph..the beast had some serious body roll. My only problem..I can't justify my purchase..A single male (youngish), with no kids, with a vehicle like this = a testosterone fueled decision...I mean i wanted sumthing smaller (like a 4 runner) but those are no more, especially with a diesel engine and the path finders look like crap...Prado = bland, Toureg = no rear leg room and no boot space..i could go on, you see where i'm going don't you?....but it will take some getting used to...hmm no permagrin yet (although the engine does sound a bit like a v8 beast). Oh last thing.. i was having a go at the turbo chipped lot of ya saying it has more power than it needs...But this moring from leeds to manchester (the highest elevation with a highway in britain i'm reminded) I floored it...well i'm still waiting..mind you there was a cross wind... Rolling Eyes

Post #10280518th Nov 2006 2:39 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Laughing hi there - well this car is 3 tonnes of brute off road ability with a frame & suspension to match. and pushing 3 tonnes up to speed with a diesel is going to a while. The D3 is no hairdressers 4x4 with little off road & plenty of speed, quite the opposite. Yes there is a small lag on the throttle, however mine was just about removed when my car was 'enhanced' perhaps its worth checking your vehicle has had the latest patches. If you are looking for speed you probably bought the wrong version of the car, or wrong car. if you are looking for justification of your purchase, how about its probably one of the safest (occupant) cars on the road. And you might want to tilt your mirrors down a bit, as I do now, incase that Micra driving idiot is sneaking up on my onside again.
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #10281218th Nov 2006 5:57 pm
kpmclaren

Jamaica 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Yeah tilted the mirrows down immédiatement..Breaks really well for its size..Not fussed about speed just about pulling power..where its going to be used primarily is very hilly so the power for that is must..I'm getting used to it..chose it cos it gave u more bang for the buck compared to most... just a guilty pleasure i suppose...But its quite pleasing to drive....I can forget about parking for now though..But yeah its good..
Need to find out more about turbo chipping..will consider it...
Thanks...

Post #10281418th Nov 2006 6:09 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

If its brand new it will take a few thousand miles to loosen up. The TDV6 pulls surprisingly well considering what its got to haul around.

Done 52K miles now and had the engine mapping done (LR) back in May. Made a huge difference. Mapping is part of the enhancement program LR did a few months back.

TC or J&E make a big difference so if you have the cash - why not ?

Post #10281518th Nov 2006 6:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >