Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Disco 3 goes on sale in Australia in April
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Winnie

2010 Discovery 4 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 4
Disco 3 goes on sale in Australia in April

Intend trading in 1994 Disco Tdi for a TDV6 'S' Manual.
Having read almost all postings, and with long experience with dealer service capability in Australia, I believe it will be a long time, if ever, before the complex workings of this wonderful machine could be serviced/rectified by technicians in Australia. Also important is the supposed logic of waiting for the second generation to eradicate the new model 'nuances' (didn't hold true for my current - second - Disco - new gearbox under warranty at 50,000km). In any event, prudence would dictate that I wait say 6 months and hope that I don't need to go near a dealer for at least two years (their learning period).

Or perhaps I should wade in.

(interestingly, an Australian 4X4 mag gave the TDV6 SE 4WD of the year (over the V8, et al) but noted they would have preferred to consider the 'S' but none were available).

I couldn't see where any posters have purchased my configuration (manual and coil springs - to reduce risk of downtime) but should there be some out there, I would be interested to hear of your experiences.

Post #140511th Mar 2005 12:12 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

If mine had been a coiler, it would have been fine. The only problem that I have had that has been serious enough to necessitate a return to the dealer was the air suspension failure. This has occured on 3 vehicles (I think) from this forum. I think all the vehicles were early models.

Most of the other bugs involve details in the electronics, and I suspect you won't need or get the Fuel Burning Heater in Australia!

Post #140711th Mar 2005 3:10 pm
Winnie

Gareth, you sound so positive and pass over electrics so quickly, and yet electrics seem to pervade every operation including 'handbrake'. I read on another posting your doubts about the 'ECU' and others doubt the adequacy of the battery and/or alternator. I have seen in the media stories about TD motors blowing up (anything to do with overly high compression?). Fuel caps falling off ("tinny"), and electrics, electrics, electrics.
As an aside, dealers here (one anyway) are advertising that the 3 is now for sale. www.landrover.com.au continues to have the 2 as the current Disco.
Back to where we started-
(a) - I've had only one response to my query
(b) - you guys (UK, Europe & Canada) are still in your first 6 months of release and have well proven this to be a 'beta' release.
(c) - I must contain my temptation and wait (at least) 6 months from date of release here, counting from (say) 1st April.
I will continue to review your fortunes over the coming months.

Post #144214th Mar 2005 3:17 am
Winnie

1.5 months of 6 months enforced abstinence. Critiques have progressed from electrics/software to fading plastic. No apparent Australian experiences posted. Have not seen one on the road. Have "road tested" slightly off-road and am salivating. But posters would not recommend to family/friends yet. Is there any sign yet of an early general model service patch?

Post #30603rd May 2005 11:17 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Winnie,

I've been watching 3 O/S forums which have been very active with regard to D3/LR3 posts.

Admittedly I've only had my D3 for 1.5 weeks and the two faults so far having been the a/c loosing it's gas due to a loose connection (fixed the next day after delivery) and a park brake error which may have been cuased by not waiting for the system check to complete.

I will be driving the D3 this weekend at the 4*4 training/proving ground (which is used by the 4*4 mags to test 4WD's) in a dealer organised 4*4 adventure day and the following weekend I'll be 4WD'ing across the Vic High Country for 3 days. I'll be able to either give a big thumbs up for the D3 or I'll be getting on the satphone to call LR Assist to come and pick up my D3 Shocked. Let's hope it will be the big thumbs up.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #30623rd May 2005 11:38 am
Winnie

Thanks Chris. Good luck. I know you will enjoy. Holding my breath (really) for your post after your trip. Hope you will disclose all. Prepared to cancel abstinence if all OK.

Post #30633rd May 2005 11:45 am
Pelyma

England 

Winnie, you say posters would not recommend one to family or friends, I recommended it to my parents (who haven't had any problems at all) I had one minor software glitch, which was cleared by switching the car off and back on. I don't consider the battery problem LR's fault as I left the ignition on for several hours. Go on be a devil.......you know you want to!!
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #30673rd May 2005 12:06 pm
BN

England 

One point about the 'S' model is the drivers seat. I purchased an 'S' for working purposes and the seat is the most awful seat I have ever come across. I have LR 110's for work use also and the seats in them are great. A 2000 mile journey in the D3 is very painfull, but in the LR 110's no problem all be it somewhat slower. Basically the D3 seat is fixed on the S and to get better vision it has to be manually jacked up. As it does so it tips the driver into the footwell. This in turns causes some considerable back and hip pain because of the forward slide action. I am 6 foot to give you an example. The passenger seat is not even adjustable. I asked for a left hand drive front seat for the passenger, but it did not compute with LR. To purchase SE's or HSE's for work use was too expensive just for the seats, but I did not realise the problems I now face. I think in the USA there is actually a legal action for injury being taken, but cannot find the facts about it yet.

Post #30713rd May 2005 12:14 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

BN,

I have an 'S' and have no problem with the manual cloth seats. I suffer from lower back pain in most cars and this is the first vehicle to leave me feeling relaxed when I get out.

Guess it depends on your build, height, and how you like the seat positioned.

-s

Post #31193rd May 2005 8:35 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I too have an S with cloth seats and find them perfectly comfy and functional. I am 6ft 1 inch and nearly 15 stone......
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #31233rd May 2005 9:13 pm
BN

England 

Smarticus, do you not find that your legs are not supported and the seat tends to put pressure on your spine Question . The HSE seats are fantastic and can be adjusted almost as well as my Range Rover.

Post #31384th May 2005 7:12 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

BN, I guess its a case of what you have never had you don't miss. My Defenders seats are comfy for about 50 yards, the Merc seats are as hard as nails, but reasonably comfy, previous cars have been D2's and D1's and a Corrado Storm etc etc, none of which had especially luxurious seats. When the RRS HSE arrives in July I guess I will then be spoilt and the wife will complain that (by then) her D3 is not comfy .....
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #31404th May 2005 7:17 am
Winnie

I have to admit that this has been a good attempt to take my mind off the exposed wiring, collapsing suspension, premature rusting, fading plastic, etc., etc. (without even contemplating the FBH). I guess, if I've been used to sitting in a +10 year old seat all this time, I could bear to sit in any new one. But, if Chris comes back from his Victorian high country trip and places a good post, I will be testing the S seat ASAP. I take BN's point very seriously though and will take the risk with the SE air suspension if that's necessary for a comfortable seat.

Post #31444th May 2005 7:36 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Winnie,

FBH - not an issue for Australia since we aren't going to need it.
Collapsing suspension - a few posts earlier about this but not too frequent now. Let's hope it stays that way.
Suspension errors - yes occurring due to faulty sensors and corroded wiring and exposed plugs but once again not too frequent. MWilliems seems to the unfortunate one with that problem.
Premature rusting - there just should not be any rust in my view but on raw metal without a surface coating then it's going to happen and it will be worse in countries with salt on the road and if you do a lot of beach driving.

I must admit I love the HSE seats which are very comfortable and I found on long distance driving they have been the best I've ever had. I test drove a SE which didn't have the full 8 way electric adjustment of the HSE seat but I quickly found a suitable position. I can't comment on an S since I've never driven one.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #31544th May 2005 12:48 pm
BN

England 

Winnie wrote:
I have to admit that this has been a good attempt to take my mind off the exposed wiring, collapsing suspension, premature rusting, fading plastic, etc., etc. (without even contemplating the FBH). I guess, if I've been used to sitting in a +10 year old seat all this time, I could bear to sit in any new one. But, if Chris comes back from his Victorian high country trip and places a good post, I will be testing the S seat ASAP. I take BN's point very seriously though and will take the risk with the SE air suspension if that's necessary for a comfortable seat.

Winnie, you will not regret the fully adjustable seats. Don't forget also the S does not have an adjustable seat for the passenger.

Post #31704th May 2005 5:50 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >