Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Disco 3 not starting after warm
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Andromeda

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Disco 3 not starting after warm

I just came across your site just recently after searching for answers to a current issue. Hope someone can help...

I purchased my Discover 3 SE (TDV6 SE Auto) just last May '05. Has been going briliiantly, except has developed a problem over last 2-3 months.

This issue has occured now three times - arrive home after driving for about 1 hour, park in drive (from 10 minutes to one hour), then will not start. All electricals work, 'bing' sounds to indicate ready to start, but absolutely no action when the key is turned.

After the vehicle cools down (3-4 hours) it starts fine. Battery and starter motor seem ok. Outside temperatures have varied between 35C and 25C (so not always 'boiling hot')

Contacted dealer who is unable to find where the fault is! Tried exchanging relays, no effect. Dealer has replicated problem and yet after two visits (two days and now 7 days) has no idea how to fix. Have asked them to keep it until fixed; thankfully they have provided me a hire car (Holden), although no substitute for an $80k Discovery.

Becoming more frustrated by the day as dealer tells me they have had no reports of anything similar.

I'm being patient, however thought I would contact members for any thoughts or advice. Many thanks for taking the time...

Kind regards,
Mark
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE  
Post #3953527th Jan 2006 2:08 pm
csory

Hungary 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

I had the very same symptoms with a Citroen XM a few years ago. The solution was to replace the ignition key switch assembly. Another culprit maybe the electric starter motor, I'm not familiar with the TDV6 engine (as of yet) but you may want to try and remove the engine cover then slightly knock the side of the starter motor with a long tool (wrench or whatever comes handy). Just my 2c's...
 TDV6 HSE Java Black, auto, difflock, fridge, winter, 7-seater, PDC, privacy, AHL, sunroof - 3rd row fixed Smile   
Post #3953827th Jan 2006 2:42 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

definitely sounds like the starter motor itself, probably the solenoid sticking due to heat expansion.
To confirm, open the bonnet and get someone to turn the key whilst you listen for a metallic thud - not the light clicking of relays. If you get the 'thud' it means the solenoid is moving and the probable cause is either the main battery +ve connection to the starter or a sticking motor brush or the starter drive dog is binding on the shaft.
If you are getting only relays clicking, this indicates that the keyswitch is operating correctly and it's the starter solenoid sticking. note that the solenoid is an integral part of the starter motor

Post #3954327th Jan 2006 3:17 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andromeda

Thanks for the replies - vehicle still with dealer so I'll let them know. They reckon the starter motor's fine after their last test. I would have thought that by a process of elimination they could find the cause and replace components - I'm not sure dealers spend enough time going through this sort of thing...
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE  
Post #3975529th Jan 2006 1:43 am
Mud Truck

Australia 

Well I was discussing your problem with a friend and he reckons check the gauge of your leads from the battery down to the starter. There was an early model Ford in OZ some years back which had the same symptoms straight from the factory, cured by replacing the starter leads with ones with more 'oomph' !!!.

Of course, what will fix a Ford may not fix a LR3.... but he wanted me to tell you..
 Martin  
Post #3976629th Jan 2006 11:36 am
Andromeda

Well. after five weeks at the dealer, they tracked down the problem to a couple of components. Land Rover assisted following much testing - they couldn't get it to fault and when it did they were not prepared with adequate test equipment!

I made it very clear not to return the D3 unless the problem is fixed - a loan rent-a-car, then a petrol D3 eased my annoyance somewhat, although certainly not as much as my own.

In summary they replaced the starter switch; secondly, a number of 'pins' had to be adjusted, according to Mr Land Rover. Dealer tested for two days then returned to me.

I now have my D3 back and loving every km - no faults to report, thank goodness. Give me a couple more weeks and I'll be over the feeleing of 'will it start...?'

While I was very patient (!!!) the dealer did look after me, as did Mr Land Rover, with a nice 'freebie' which will be fitted this week.
 Disco 3 TDV6 SE  
Post #457055th Mar 2006 1:03 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >