Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

Disco 3 Oil - HELP HELP HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Les H

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Disco 3 Oil - HELP HELP HELP

I purchased a new Disco 3 SE in October 2005 and was delighted with the service received from the dealer. They advised they had received awards from Land Rover for their sales and service activity.
After a few months a heard a "ding" every few days from the control panel but no warning appeared on the warning screen. After a few weeks I noticed the oil light would flash on for a split second when the "ding" came on.
I had checked the oil level every few weeks and everything seemed OK, however, I checked the oil level again and it seemed OK. Despite this I purchased two litres of recommended oil and put one in the car.
With approximately 12,000 miles on the clock and before the first service the engine "CEASED" when I was on the motorway doing about 70 mph ... without power steering I just manged to wrestle the car to the hard shoulder without hitting another vehicle.
The dealer stated the car had NO OIL .... they did not want to strip down the engine to find out what happened .... they Sad said it was my fault !!!
I have spent in excess of £7,000 fixing the problem with no movement from the dealer !!!
Any help from DISCO 3 owners who have encountered anything similar would be appreciated.

Post #9674125th Oct 2006 5:43 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

OUCH !!!!
Fairly sure this is a first Shocked
I think we all agree that the dipstick is a c--p design.
What have LR said about this?
Welcome to the site, shame it is under a cloud.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #9674225th Oct 2006 5:57 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

did you get any pictures or independant evidence of your engine appearing to have oil in it? recovery service guy etc.?

If you have spent the money I doubt there is anything can be done now. The time to act would have been immediately when issue occured. If the engine had seized and there was no oil warning light coming on you might have been able to get an independant engineer to inspect the car as evidence.
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #9674425th Oct 2006 6:12 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Surely if the oil level gets too low the warning light comes on??? It should do that even on the Mway?? I'm not a techie but it sounds like a catastrophic oils loss rather than just using it up. If you check the oil regularly & no warning light comes on how the hell are you meant to know??

If your dealer is not interested, I'd suggest going through LR Customer Services as they will want to know what happened even if your dealer can not be ar$ed as they have their money. One of our members got a new engine as he blew the gasket & LR wanted to know what happened. Good luck & don't take that crap from your dealer.

Where is the old engine?? It is yours if you have bought the new one. You will want that for an expert to have a look at if you want to persue the dealer or LR.

Post #9674525th Oct 2006 6:17 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I know that there is a sensor that cuts the engine if you are off roading and you are at an angle that means that the low oil level would be a problem, it can only be reset by LR.
Might be worth looking into whether this should happen on the 'level' as well
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #9679325th Oct 2006 8:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine used oil at first. It needed a couple of litres before first service. I would have expected a lamp though. Having said that, it is usually the case that if you see the lamp, its already too late Crying or Very sad

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Maybe get the RAC or AA legal dept to comment. I also agree that the dipstick makes it very difficult to get an accurate reading.

The engine has to be stone cold and have stood for several hours to stop oil in the dipstick tube smearing the reading. The only case you may have is to have the guts to sue Land Rover, and prove this innacurate reading makes it difficult to ensure that the engine has enough oil.

Post #9679625th Oct 2006 8:31 pm
lookatmema

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Oh Les, I hope you went into D3 ownership with your eyes open. Nonetheless, NO OIL Shocked

Did you check the level every 600 miles - religiously - as it says inside the fuel filler flap Question You don't make it very clear how often you checked, and exactly when it blew.

My car has just 750 miles on it, and I'm starting to get a chime on startup which doesn't seem to be connected with anything in particular. I'm not sure your chime is anything to do with the oil.

DSL and Dylansdad are right. The engine is yours if you've paid for the work. At least get to see it, and check the serial no. against your V5 reg. document. You might just find some discrepancy Very Happy Then once you're satisfied you've got a replacement engine, arrange for it to be securely stored, and bend LR cust. svcs. ear. Tell them what you did to check and maintain the oil level - point out the woefully inadequate dipstick, and just don't give up. Pick the smallest hole in their arguments, and if they don't answer your queries, ask to deal with a manager. If you need to, get the engine examined - but be prepared for a costly report. It'll need stripped down, and major components examined for heat stresses and abrasions- indicative of oil starvation. Try to get some opinion from the recovery bloke. He's not an expert, but you can bet he'll have a good idea of what went wrong.

Just hang in there. Don't be browbeaten. Use the dealer - if he's an ally - to liaise with LR, but remember you might want to deal with the organ grinder yourself. An engine's not much to LR, but it's a hell of an issue to you and the rest of us.
 If you wait for it to go wrong - it's bound to oblige  
Post #9681125th Oct 2006 9:31 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

mine used a lot of oil just before the first service. LR should be aware of the issue. Someone on the for um said ot was due to the block absorbing some oil due to no liners. Confused
Un fortunatly you have paid them money. It would be easier if you refused to pay and they had to prove it was your fault. It is still worth fighting them now but a bit harder and could cost more money to win. Good luck Big Cry
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9683525th Oct 2006 11:47 pm
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Surely if Les was checking the oil level and did put in one litre, then even if over 12,000 miles it wouldn't of got that low to use up his one litre extra and all the original oil.
I know D3s can use up some oil, but not 'that' much. If it was using oil to that extent, the oil light should of been on over a long period.

My D3 has now done the same mileage and I've put in about 2 ltrs since new (from memory).
 Matt  
Post #9683926th Oct 2006 12:17 am
Airboss

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

It was my understanding that the sensors monitored oil PRESSURE, not the oil LEVEL. If this is correct, as it is on most older cars, 1 quart of oil would be sufficient to maintain the correct oil pressure. This is why when you do finally get a warning it is usually too late.

Or maybe this is old-school thinking. You'd think that with all the technological breakthroughs the car would be able to shut itself down before the engine locked up.

Good luck, Les! I hope LR makes this right!

Post #9684626th Oct 2006 3:36 am
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Les H
What damage was done to the engine because if it was the head gasket it would be a known issue. Did the low oil actualy cause the damage or did a fault cause the low oil?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #9684726th Oct 2006 4:15 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

For the engine to have used all the oil plus a litre there must have been a fault. That fault was compounded by the failure of the oil warning light. And that failure was compounded by the inept design of the dipstick to give reliable readings. That failure was compounded by the owner not realising so much oil was being consumed. Which ever way you look at this Landrover is mainly at fault - so should cover the majority of the cost of fixing.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #9685426th Oct 2006 8:00 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

May we ask which dealer?

if it was shields......bypass them and go staight to LR...calling them monkeys (as opposed to organ grinders) would be defamatory to monkeys
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #9685626th Oct 2006 8:11 am
catoperator

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Alveston RedDiscovery 3
ecu

would information such as oil pressure ,oil temp water temp etc all be stored in the vehicles brain,this is common practice on newer earthmoving equipment so "it had oil in boss" wont work any more ,excavators even record how many times they slew left or right ,a cat fitter plugged into a motorscraper to give a demo and that even showed up gearbox abuse handy for the dealer if a warrenty issue came up referance the transmission Embarassed i would have thought that on such a new engine that oil sample etc would have been taken as a matter of course ,dont give up insist on having the engine returned to you and then you can have oil samples taken , and the engine inspected yourself

Post #9738229th Oct 2006 9:55 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I hope that the lack of response from LesH is not an indication that this is yet another scare 'story' Confused

Dry fill capacity for a diesel is 5.7 litres which I guess takes it to max. on the dipstick. If the dipstick is on minimum then the fill required back to maximum is 1.5 litres. The engine block will absorb around 1 litre of oil in the first 10,000 miles...so checking is very important during that time.

If Les had checked the dipstick and it seemed ok then why fill with 2 litres of oil ? ....this acton could result in serious engine damage as you should never over fill with oil.

If the dealer states that there was 'no oil' then that in itself indicates a malfunction which cannot be reasonably attributed to the owner especially if the owner has carried out oil checks and there was no other 'warning' indicator to suggest a problem.

Les we need more information please ...otherwise it's difficult to make sense of your circumstance.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021 

Last edited by DG on 29th Oct 2006 1:07 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #9738829th Oct 2006 10:21 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >