Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > My Discovery 3

Why disco 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>
NICKNICK

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Why disco 3

Just got a disco iii, had it 5 days, (TDV6 HSE) . Why?
I have two children under 6 and wanted a car that seated more than 4.
I did have an 03 BMW 530 Sport touring, possibly one of the best all round cars ever, however I am 6'1'' (not massive) & my 18 month old daughter's car seat had no room to recline behind me. Also there is no room for anyone else in the car other than wife and the two children. Even need a top box for hols (travel cots etc)
PEOPLE CARRIER? Tried an Espace, after the BMW it was like it was made by my 5 year old son from Lego, slow, poor riding, noisy.....
Volvo EXC90, have you heard one? the noise is appalling. Once again I had been spoilt by the BMW.
Had a day long test drive in the disco, it is an astonishing car. Comfort, NVH suppression the best I have experienced. It is amazing & will be just about perfect when it it Tubochipped (anyone not chipped their disco? WHY ????).
In short the disco is the BEST bar none car, if you like cars and need to carry more than 4 (I will have up to seven most of my hols in Cornwall)

JUST THINK HOW MUCH BETTER IT COULD BE IF YOU COULD DITCH 600KG OF OFFROAD GUFF YOU WILL NEVER NEED. (I DID SAY IF YOU COULD)

One thing though, the dealer I purchased from was and is appalling, could be a worry?

Post #7116018th Jul 2006 7:41 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Agree with all bar one of your points, it is a great car, and mine still gives me a great feeling after 20 months and 48500 miles. I still look forward to driving this car every day. Today I had to drive my wifes Mini Cooper S, and I still missed my D3.

However, I disagree that the D3 would be better without 600kg of off road 'guff'. Its nice to know that you could drive up that mountain if you wanted too. Imagine a TVR with a 2 litre 4 cyl diesel engine? it just would not work. The D3 has an image, its popular because of that image, and the fact that is does everything else so well is a tribute to its designers. Take away the core, and you loose the soul.

I know most D3 owners will never go off tarmac, but I'll bet they drive comforted in the knowledge that if the going did get tough, they would keep going.

Good luck with the D3.

Post #7116418th Jul 2006 7:57 pm
Mossy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Can't add much to Gareth's comments other than - there are good dealers and bad dealers. It's the good dealers we return to.

Well done on an excellent choice of vehicle. Thumbs Up
 D3 HSE V8...  
Post #7116918th Jul 2006 8:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ken

NICKNICK

I guess then your D3 will never see the mud then. Its a real shame if this is the case as you will be missing so much

Post #7117318th Jul 2006 8:12 pm
NICKNICK

I have never been off road in 20 years of driving, never had the need.
I have on 1 occassion had to abandon a car 3/4 of a mile from home due to snow, and in 1992 (i think) there was 4 days when there was too much snow to drive.

I agree and accept that it is reassuring that the car will tackle anything I am likely to throw at it, the wife is hoping for arctic winters (not sure why because she will be able to get to work as a teacher 15 miles away).

I have to admit that I too am looking forward to snow.

The disco is just a great car FULL STOP. Most other 4x4'S are awful and deserving of ridicule (x5 excepted as this too is a great car for the road), Taurag, EXC90, ML, Lexus, Cherokee, Toyota Land crushers, Cayenne, just do not cut it as road cars. They are poor cars, either hard riding, noisy, rattly, handle like jellies or as if they have no suspension. The Disco is one of the very few so called off roaders that stacks up as a Car FULL STOP, not as a car that can go off road.

For me if it had simple 4 wheel drive al la Audi and nothing else other than variable height adjustable air suspension it would be a better car. I stress for that this is for my needs.

This is a great site and I hope I am not p'ing too many people off with my reactionary view of Land Rovers.

Post #7118018th Jul 2006 8:46 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Nicknick, the systems are so tightly integrated and complimentary, what gives it the supreme offroad prowess also means that it has excellent on-road manners...
Maybe you should have gone for a coil-sprung version and 'blinged' it up with the extras you need? Wink ...or a RRS Shocked

Post #7118218th Jul 2006 8:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Well, your not p*s****g me off. I respect other peoples views even if I don't agree with them. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

It would appear that maybe you have a conscious pricking you, like you could be an ex 'anti 4x4' type, who has seen the light, and is now trying to come to terms with it? (I say that with the greatest of respect)

We all appreciate our D3's for what it is. Please do not compare it to other less worthy 4x4 brands. If you don't want to take it off road, then don't, but maybe try to understand the reasons why many of us do.

I have been driving off road as a leisure activity for 11 years now. I started in a 1966 2a Land Rover (still have it), and since then have had 3 Discoverys. I have a real passion for green laning, and enjoy researching the routes and exploring the abilities of the Land Rovers in mud, snow, and anything else that I may encounter on the rights of way of England and Wales.

I have driven to places in the UK that would take you days to walk or cycle to, and you would not get anywhere near in any other car. There is a sense of achievment for me in that, and that is my justification.

Post #7118518th Jul 2006 9:05 pm
NICKNICK

RR Sport does not have 5+ seats.

I will never be convinced that LR could not have made a smoother, quicker, more economical, better handling Disco 111 if they knew it never had to go off road (i.e like an XC90 or X5)

As for bling you should see my other recent comments.

God I come across as an argumentative miserable knob, sorry.
Its just that I am so impressed with the Disco 111 on the road that I wonder how good it could be on road if it were not compromised by the need to tackle the Somn.
I love its looks (19 inch wheels & no other external extras please), I love its room , its height (who other things being equal would not rather site up high) its presence.

Post #7118918th Jul 2006 9:09 pm
NICKNICK

Got it in 1 Gareth.

Post #7119018th Jul 2006 9:11 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Think you're missing the point over LR - they make vehicles that have supreme off-road ability that are (recently) supremely capable on-road... end of chat Wink

Post #7119118th Jul 2006 9:14 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Welcome Nick, glad you're impressed with your Disco, where ever you choose to drive it. As TFC says, LR are in the business of making off-road vehicles, if it didn't have the ability to go off-road it won't have been made by LR.

Come and join us on an off-road event some time then even if you never take it off the tarmac again at least you'll know what all the fuss is about Very Happy

Si

PS. It's Discovery 3 not Discovery 111, it says so on the back Wink
PPS Apart from the ones that say LR3 that is Rolling Eyes
 The End  
Post #7120518th Jul 2006 9:40 pm
dylansdad

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Laughing you sound like me when I bought mine, knew I would want to do towing, but offroading???? naah ...........however...........the other day sat nav took me down an unnamed road where I was presented with a ford/stream about 18"deep.... now I know thats not a lot for avid offroaders but given my last car was written off with a flooded engine after driving through a deep puddle (4") I was eager to test my beast..........4 TIMES I WENT UP AND DOWN THAT LANE Laughing Laughing Laughing my girlfriend was Censored ing herself laughing at me like a kid with a new toy. so gradually expect the apreciation and desire to do this 'offroad' stuff to overtake you. Its the D3's viral dna.
Wink
 2004 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi Silver  
Post #7120818th Jul 2006 9:48 pm
SN

When you've got it on a track which you can barely walk on (Gareth on the Roych can vouch for this) you'll understand what its all about!

Enjoy - however and wherever you drive it!!! Wink
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #7123818th Jul 2006 10:21 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

NICKNICK wrote:
This is a great site and I hope I am not p'ing too many people off with my reactionary view of Land Rovers.

You know ....and I know that is your intention.

Big up the car...nice it up.... whilst actually your attacking its very nature. You know what reaction you want.

This is a well know tactic of an aggressor.

Doesn't wash with me pal !! Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7125018th Jul 2006 10:33 pm
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

NickNick Welcome

I use my car as tool to get men and equipment to the top of mountains one day and believe it or not to an ASDA loading bay the next day. There is no other vehicle that will eat motorways then eat mountains and do both with the utmost of ease. I hear what you are saying but if you don’t want a 4x4 why did you buy one. Please don’t think I am having a 'go'

Post #7126018th Jul 2006 10:58 pm
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >