Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General

A Disco 3 virgin no less ....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
BigBadSmoke

A Disco 3 virgin no less ....

as a mere Freelander 2.0 diesel auto owner, I feel humbled in the presence of such worthy owners.

However, I am currently in the throws of considering a move up to a Disco 3, and have a test drive booked for tomorrow.

This looks like a very useful forum, and therefore I thought I would wade in with a couple of questions:

I am looking to get the HSE spec, and wondered what people thought about the installed stereo system - is it any good? Additionally, I want to use an iPod in the car. Has anyone had any experience of using an iPod through the installed Land Rover system?

Kids travelling in the rear seats - do they get much air back there?

What should my check list be when checking out a nearly new Disco 3 HSE?

Thanks for your help!

Post #7215521st Jul 2006 5:09 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Hi BigBadSmoke and welcome to the site.

Can't speak for HSE owners but I'm sure that you will get positive answers on the hifi front . All lettered models have the input for an auxilliary device such as an iPod ...you will need to have an additional amplified device such as the Belkin adapter which also deals with iPod charging. Sound is more than adequate.

Rearmost passengers in HSE get aircon too ...so no probs there ...but again HSE bods will tell you more.

There is a checklist on the site somewhere ...might need to do a bit of searching...

and you could come along to the South East meet next Tuesday evening in Cobham, just south west of Kingston upon Thames and we'll gladly answer all your queries.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #7216121st Jul 2006 5:36 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Stereo IMO is brilliant, the best I've heard, but I'm not really into ICE. Still I don't think you'd be dissapointed.
The HSE has seperate rear A/C, most weekends I have 2xkids & 1x adult in the second row seats & 2xdogs in the boot. No complaints at all, kids like to sometimes have it a bit warmer than the front. Kids also love to listen to Censored pop cd's via the headphone sockets, whilst I listen to the radio. I've never travelled in the back, probably never will, but I've been told by all who have that it's very comfy.
The D3 HSE is a much better vehicle than I expected it to be, so much so in fact that I've just sold the car I had planned to use for business trips & use the D3 instead.

Post #7216221st Jul 2006 5:42 pm
BigBadSmoke

OK, that is really useful to know. Thanks.

Post #7217421st Jul 2006 6:19 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Agree with LT & DG, got a HSE & hifi & AC excellent. Ipod great through Aux socket (lots of wires - power & aux cable), needs some sort of mount to easily control it. Otherwise excellent sound.

Post #7217621st Jul 2006 6:22 pm
randalls

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

What should my check list be when checking out a nearly new Disco 3 HSE?

find out who owned it previously & why are they selling it. There seem to be some early D3 woofers about. Everybody sells something for a reason, good or bad.....

Has it had the upgrade ?

I had an early 06 HSE which I have swapped for a later 06 model, the difference in fuel consumption & niggle factors is stellar, seems the later you get the better it may be, as the R&D all the good chaps here are doing for LR gets fed back into the system Laughing

Has it been offroaded ? - key signs are chips & scratches in the alloys, cosmetic damage around the front/rear plastics & scratches along the body/mirrors etc - if so go for a proper look underneath with a light.

check all the electronic gizmos for operation, including the operation of the adaptive headlights

Does it have the full size spare ? (no cost option on the HSE)

Check the leathers for wear & tear and other nastyness.

Thats all I can think of at present

Steve
 Bow downSheep 2007 TDV6 HSE 'Silver Lady'. With 'free' privacy glass LOL.
Taking the greenpi$$ is: Green taxing your citizens more & using some of the money to buy nukes.Bow downSheep 

Post #7219321st Jul 2006 7:57 pm
DrLex

Iceland 
Re: A Disco 3 virgin no less ....

BigBadSmoke wrote:
What should my check list be when checking out a nearly new Disco 3 HSE?..

Welcome, BBS.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, you might want to cast your net wide and look for the best discount from LR dealers other than your local one. If you have time to check the other threads in this forum, you'll find that some people purchase new cars for less than their local dealer was wanting for an ex-demo or 2nd hand. You may have to be flexible on exact spec. (although with HSE, it's not like you'll want much more), timing of supply and be prepared to travel, but a grand or two saved should cover the rail fare.
 Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Member of Club Med Sucks 

Post #7221621st Jul 2006 10:45 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Early HSE may not have rear aircon (like mine Crying or Very sad ). Audio system is simply stunning. Turn the bass down a notch, and the treble up a tad to get the best sound, but it really rocks 8)

Post #7222621st Jul 2006 11:29 pm
BigBadSmoke

I appreciate the feedback folks.

I am looking at a March 06 HSE, from a dealer with 5.6k mileage, with side steps, Navtrack fitted, for £38,950. Does that sound fair price?

What is turbochipping?

Are the driving lamps worth having? or am I being stoopid considering them?

I have picked up some good advice re a potential bike rack from this site, and will be having the multi height tow bar fitted.

Thank you all for your help and advice. Much appreciated. Very Happy

Post #7480331st Jul 2006 6:49 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

TBH that's not that good a price, you can probably get a brand new one for about the same money if you shop around

Turbochip is one of the companies that does ECU remapping to give the TDV6 more torque and power. JE Engineering also do this, both are advertisers on the site

The LR driving lamps are good, there are better ones out there but the LR ones integrate well with the D3 and as a genuine LR accessory if you get them fitted on the car from new they'll have the same 3 year warranty
 The End  
Post #7480631st Jul 2006 7:03 pm
BigBadSmoke

Thanks for that ... I shall not rush in to anything then....

Cheers!

Post #7481231st Jul 2006 7:16 pm
KL

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Agree with Slimer.

£38k will get you a new HSE.
Less than £300 will get you side steps from that nice man Nick @ Yeovil LR (and an easy job to fix if you are in any way handy)
Same for the towbar. Keep an eye on eBay for one at around £200 mark (and again easy to self fit). Towbar electrics go for around £75 from nice Nick (again easy to fit).

Of course, if you are #that# diy averse, and don't want to fit any of the stuff yourself, then it'll cost you tons more from dealer. If I wasn't up to fitting the easiest of accessories, I'd worry about buying this kind of car anyway...
 Discovery 3 tdv6 7 seat Buckingham Blue
Had it since new - sold Jun 17 after 12 years and 214,000 miles 

Post #7484331st Jul 2006 8:20 pm
BigBadSmoke

Thanks for the tips folks.

So, I ordered a new one.

I'm afraid I am totally pathetic when it comes to fitting stuff myself, so have got the dealership to include it all.

In my miserable defense, I did push them down on their initial costs, if that will mitigate any scorn Sad

Post #752151st Aug 2006 6:48 pm
Ken

What scorn you've just done agreat thing and ordered a D3 so the dealers fitted a few extras nowt wrong with that

Post #752191st Aug 2006 7:02 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

BigBadSmoke wrote:
So, I ordered a new one.

Outstanding, enjoy! Mr. Green

Post #752351st Aug 2006 7:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >