Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > General (D4)

Disco 4 65 Plate External Temperature sensor issues.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 39 of 42 <123 ... 3839 404142>
Armpit

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto ArubaDiscovery 4
Update

I am now in my 7th week of ownership.......the car has spent a morning at the supplying dealer to resolve the cabin temperature issue with no fault found. Surprise, surprise it was no better - I then went to another dealer who has changed the cabin temperature sensor as they found a fault, the problem with cold air still exists (that was another two days at the dealer).

The car is in again to the same dealer that replaced the sensor and they have requested help from Landrover technical team (assisted by customer services). I have informed customer services and my supplying dealer that I will start the process to formally reject the car as not fit for purpose if this issue is not resolved............I feel that three attempts and four and a half days out of my seven weeks of ownership demonstrates me being reasonable enough !!!!

It's a real shame as I love the car and I have always aspired to owning one of these !!!!

I have never rejected a car before and I am not looking forwards to the aggravation that it will inevitably be..........I really didn't think Landrover would not be able to sort what I think is a quite simple issue and I maintain that if this information got to the original HVAC system designers they would be able to solve the issue very quickly !

One very fed up "expensive new car owner"

I will update tomorrow again when, hopefully I will have the car back........

Cheers - Paul

Post #180249911th Apr 2017 5:30 pm
Dannyson

England 

Rolling Eyes still watching with interest.... but I'm not holding my breath...
 2016MY Discovery HSE - Black
2009MY Toyota Land Cruiser (Lc4) - Black 

Post #180260111th Apr 2017 8:59 pm
Armpit

Update - the car is still with the dealer, so that is 3 days this week (Tues-Thurs), I have taken a courtesy car home as they have run some tests as requested by Landrover technical, including running my car side by side with another (I am a bit disappointed as I asked what they had used to do this and they stated it was another MY16 Disco.......if it's a MY16 problem, not sure what this would show).

Never the less, they still have the car and are awaiting next steps from Landrover and they will do these next steps on Tuesday after the bank holiday.

I will update on Wednesday next week........

Thanks - Paul

Post #180360814th Apr 2017 5:15 pm
tonymcg

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

wondering if you got anywhere on sorting this Paul? Question
 D4 HSE Luxury 2016
D3 HSE 2009
D2 ES Premium 2003 

Post #181420912th May 2017 1:44 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

My 16MY Discovery HSE had this from new. External air temperature sensor read 3 degrees too high and cabin temperature was never right. Following two attempts by my supplying Dealer and application of both TSB's the problems were resolved and cabin temperature can now be set to 20 degrees to maintain a pleasant level.

Post #181422612th May 2017 2:18 pm
BigT

United Kingdom 

Feeling of de ja vue.

Sounds a very familiar story.

Post #181432012th May 2017 5:50 pm
DaveT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Re: Climate Control Problem

Armpit wrote:
Picked up my D4 last week (66 plate) and the climate control is not working correctly - it's as though from start up the cabin warms as it should, but when the temp is reached (22 degs for example) and the blower then slows down, when it needs to put more heat in afterwards, it just blows cold air, no hot air at all. The effect is it just gets colder and colder.

I noticed some other owners on here (Dave T from Cornwall) have had the exact same issue and I was hoping you could tell me what the fault and cure actually was ?

Thanks - Paul

Mine was never fixed. I rejected the car & it was replaced by a March 16 Landmark, which is better, but still not 'right'. I've just noticed that it's in the 963 range, but I'm inclined to live with it rather than let them make it worse.

I sympathize with the 'gets colder and colder' fault ... it was hell to live with. If it helps, mine seemed to be worst at dusk - something to do with the dash top sensor??

Apologies for long delay in reply - been unable to log in for a long while!
 Long succession of Disco's since 2001...
SIII Lightweight - neglected & rusting. Bulkhead, A panels, vent panel & outriggers now disintegrated - Next years project! 

Post #181433012th May 2017 6:11 pm
BigT

United Kingdom 

Dave

I came to the conclusion it was something to do with the solar sensor. It was worse when it was dark, particularly first thing in the morning. Also, bright sun would cause the vehicle to randomy overcool the car by suddenly speeding the fan up and blowing air in to the car at 14 Deg C or less, despite the fact the car wasn't warm.

My new car, not a JLR product has been faultless, set to 21 Deg C when I picked the car up. 3000 miles so far, not adjusted the HVAC once. Confirmed to me that the MY16 D4 HVAC is fundamentally flawed.

JLRs attitude is appalling.

Post #181433812th May 2017 6:19 pm
Dannyson

England 

Markate - have you got details of the two TSBs applied please....? Thumbs Up

Post #181443912th May 2017 9:30 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

LTB 00908 relates to ambient temp reading high
LTB 00963 relates to HVAC

Post #181444212th May 2017 9:47 pm
BBDisco3

United Kingdom 

Dannyson wrote:
Markate - have you got details of the two TSBs applied please....? Thumbs Up

Do you still have the 3 degree problem with the ambient temperature - thought they were resolved in January last year?

Post #181444612th May 2017 9:58 pm
Dannyson

England 

OK - thanks... I had the external temp jobbby done some time ago and thats been fine. I take it the 963 just relates to the 'foam insert' as such - so not a 'new' LTB .... Crying or Very sad

Post #181444712th May 2017 10:02 pm
Armpit

Update from me.....just got back from a weeks holiday !

Car was returned from the dealer and with the backing of Landrover Technical it is working to the design intent. I fact here is the text from the email I received:

Dear Mr Armstrong,

I am writing to you further to our telephone conversation today, the 21st April.

On our telephone conversation, I have advised yourself that Land Rover as a manufacturer can confirm that your vehicle is working to the design intent.

I can also confirm that further to the video you have kindly made and advised myself of, this was reviewed by a Principal Engineer for Land Rover's Technical Assistance team.

As you are aware, Farnell Land Rover Nelson submitted a request to Land Rover for technical assistance where this was reviewed by two members within the team to assist as necessary. Further to this, as outlined it has been determined that your vehicle is operating as the system is intended to do so and there is no manufacturing defect with the heating and ventilation system present.

Our technical team have confirmed that the system has a sunlight light sensor which factors expected heat radiation from the sun, If there is sunlight on the right side of the vehicle cooler air maybe introduced to the right side of the cabin.

Further to the above our technical team have advised that should you be expecting heat at all times, to set the temperature to highest temperature. If you expect cool air, to then set the temperature to the lowest temperature . You can then override the blowing speed and this is how the system is designed to operate.

As I note your request for potential rejection, this would be required to be directed to the complaints team within Land Rover Financial Services who can be contacted on the details below. Should this be raised, please kindly make myself aware so I can contact the team accordingly.

T: 0800 151 2451 option 2

In the meantime, I will request that Farnell Land Rover Nelson raise the Quality Report for your vehicle in order for feedback to be provided for review via the official channels.

The above information regarding the operation of your vehicle is the stance offered by Land Rover as the manufacturer so should you have any further queries surrounding this matter, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

--
Amellia McIntosh
Social Media Case Manager
UK Customer Relationship Centre

As you can imagine, I was infuriated by this response and so I attempted to reject the car.......here is the response from the supplying dealer:

Good morning Mr Armstrong,
I have spoken with our Head of Business, Andrew Tyler-Holland, and he has reviewed your case along with the comments from the other retailer and Landrover directly. Given that these other parties along with our own technical team have determined that this is normal operational activity for that particular model of vehicle, then he is unable to accept your request to reject the vehicle and provide you with a refund for the purchase of the car, nor is he able to offer you an exchange of vehicles either.

He has asked me to let you know that if you are unhappy with the vehicle and wish to either part exchange it for a different vehicle here, or sell the vehicle back to us then he will look at doing as favourable a deal as he can do in those respects, however they will not be for the original purchase price of the car when new, they would be for current market value at the date in question.

I appreciate that this is not the outcome you would want, but as the vehicle is deemed to be of normal operational characteristics by different retailers and Land Rover Technical team, then the vehicle cannot be deemed unfit for purpose and as such rejection cannot be accepted.

Thank you.

Damon Preston
Service Manager, Hunters Land Rover Chester

Now I am back from holiday, I intend to put a report together using many of the posts from this forum to try and demonstrate how wide an issue this climate control problem is......the video I posted on youtube really demonstrates the issue - how anyone slightly competent could describe that as normal behaviour is a complete mystery to me. I will send this report recorded delivery FAO Dr Ralph Speth (CEO JLR) and then I will feel completely justified that I have attempted every angle to get someone at JLR interested before I contact the motoring press / Watchdog. I have never been on the TV, but could be making an appearance later this year, who knows ?

I did point out to Amellia at JLR customer services that the response the climate control meets design intent is not good enough as it still operates incorrectly and that Volkswagens were operating to their design intent during the emissions tests, but that didn't make it right did it ?

Summing up, I agree with others posting that the JLR response to this is truly appalling - I am not giving up and if anyone wants to add their name to my report and get involved directly with me at the next step with the motoring press / watchdog, then I would welcome the moral support.

Thanks - Paul

Post #181490814th May 2017 2:44 pm
Dj_mini

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

We have just booked ours in to yeovil dealer this weekend to get the hvac "investigated" the service manager did not seem surprised at all when we reported the hvac system blowing cold air and not have the ability to keep a constant cabin temperature but reading the posts in this thread I don't hold much hope for a resolution Crying or Very sad

Post #181502514th May 2017 7:50 pm
Getoffmyland

United Kingdom 

I have learnt to live with it - and my wife has learnt to wear a warm jacket in the disco but largely because of this issue, she rarely does drive it in Winter.

But my Dealers and JLRs response to this issue means I will never buy another JLR product new.

Shame, but the contrast between company and dealer service on this vehicle and with my BMW is night and day.

Post #18553338th Sep 2017 9:31 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 39 of 42 <123 ... 3839 404142>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >