Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > Technical (D4)

Disco 4 Suspension help required
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Oz Brown

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Disco 4 Suspension help required

Hopefully someone can assist me with this.
Bought a disco 4 recently which had suffered a fire under the L/H wheel arch. I've changed all the looms and the car is running but the suspension won't raise. The pump might be slightly suspect, but it works and pumps 7.75 bar but the suspension still won't move. Appears to have air to the front and rear manifolds, but the actuators in the manifolds don't actuate so i'm thinking it's the suspension control system that isn't operating the valves.
I've plugged in a reader and been through all of the height sensors. supply voltage to all of them is 4.9 volts apart from rear left that's 3.58 volts. Front left sensor may have been damaged in the fire but looks okay.
Been through all the fault codes.
ABS
U0421 invalid data from Ride level control module
U0428 invalid data from steering angle sensor

SRS No DTC's

Ride Level Control Module
C1A20 pressure increase to slow
U0428 Invalid data received from steering angle sensor module

Steering angle sensor module No DTC's

Gear shift module No DTC's

Transfer case module
U0428 Invalid data received from steering angle sensor

All Terrain Control Module
U0415 Invalid data from ABS module
U0421 Invalid data from ride level control module.

From what I can see The steering angle sensor appears to be a common error on transfer case module, ABS nodule and Ride level control module. Could the steering sensor be causing the suspension not to operate. How do I test the steering sensor. Got voltage to it and the earth is good, but don't know how you can check the CAN signal.
Is there a process for calibrating the ride height sensors.
Is there a process for charging the suspension with a compressor for initial checks.
Any help appreciated.[/b]

Post #209383720th Oct 2019 10:37 am
Andyyav

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Are all the errors constant eg can you clear them if so what errors are you left with?
If your code reader is the Gap iid you can test all the valves on the suspension by raising one corner at a time, I imagine you will be able to see live values from the steering angle sensor to using the iId, if not the 4x4 info screen shows steering, if you’ve not got the IId might be worth buying one!

Post #209408921st Oct 2019 2:38 pm
Oz Brown

Hi Andy,
Thanks for the reply. So many people viewed this post but you are the only person to give some advice so thanks for that.
If I clear the errors these errors all come back immediately. I've got a reader and I've been through all of the steering values and they all look similar. I haven't individually disconnected each sensor from the upper suspension arm and moved them to see if they move. I did do the one on the front left corner as this is the suspect one, and the voltage appeared to change, but from memory the height in mm didn't change. i'll try them all today and see what happens. I've also got another steering sensor arrived this morning so I'll plug this in and see if I get any CAN outputs from it. I think I read somewhere that the steering sensors have to be re calibrated to the steering module system so if you know anything about that it would be useful info for me. With regard to the suspension system, if I was to fit a new height sensor how do these get set up or calibrated into the system
Thanks for your help. These problems are hard to solve without people like yourself offering advice
Oz

Post #209513926th Oct 2019 8:32 am
Oz Brown

Andy,
Fitted the new steering sensor. Definitely better than the old one. Got more suspension lights now but getting a message saying that the steering sensor ID needs to be registered so i assume that needs to be set up by a dealer. More expense.
Suspension still won't raise. I think it's just the front. disconnected the sensor from the arm and when I move the lever there is a voltage change and a mm change on both front sensors so I'm assuming that the calibration offset needs to be reset. Do you or does anyone else know how this is done. I seem to remember seeing a procedure mentioned for this somewhere but can't think where it was. Hopefully not another dealer visit. I can probably drive the vehicle, but the front hasn't got any air in it so probably not a good idea. Any ideas or suggestions
Thanks Oz

Post #209518726th Oct 2019 11:29 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >