DISCO4.COM > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Disco not liking the cold - electrical problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Chris1969

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3
Disco not liking the cold - electrical problems

Hi folks...

Think there has been some posts in the past on this, but wondered if anyone has had the same issue as me and if they resolved it.

Each year when the temperature starts to drop, I start to have electrical faults flag up. I get handbrake faults, special programme faults, no sat nav available, black screen.

Car starts ok... and I even changed the battery and alternator a year or so but I still have the same issue each year.

Ive got a HSE with a factory fit DVD in the roof at the back..... so Im wondering if there is something draining some juice overnight or is it simply my motor doesnt like the cold.

I check the voltage when I get in the car and it varies from 10.8 to 11.4 when its cold.

If anyone has any ideas, im all ears haha.

Thanks folks...
 .. still learning Surprised)

Isofix car seat, Isofix baby seat base, crushed carpet crisps, sticky leather seats (next to Isofix car seat), upgraded front rubber cup holder things, wired up USB charge and audio for my iphone, side steps, de-tango'd lights, H7 OSRAM Nighbreakers, LED side lights, LED reverse lights, clear repeaters, Narpy Grill... tools I don't know how to use.... yet.. 

Post #187867012th Nov 2017 9:09 pm
Iceman08

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

What length journeys do you take it on and how often? Could be it's not getting enough use or failing that you may well have a drain!

Post #187868312th Nov 2017 10:23 pm
Jaggz

United Kingdom 

Agreed, short journeys and heavy demand leads to alsorts of electrical gremlins, I've taken to putting mine on the ctek every 10 days and it's solved all the issues.

Post #187868712th Nov 2017 10:30 pm
Narpy

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Disco not liking the cold - electrical problems

Chris1969 wrote:

I check the voltage when I get in the car and it varies from 10.8 to 11.4 when its cold.

There's your problem. 10.8v is mullared. Rolling Eyes
 Mods:
Front Fogs + Halos
FBH Remote Control
The 1st Ever RRS Modded Grill
Garmin Nuvi + D4 Surround + Reversing Camera.
D4 Steering Wheel.
Rear Boot Spoiler.
Twin Brake Lights.
Wing Mirror Indicator Repeaters.
Long Roof Rails
Make your own Narpy grill thread
I'm not scared, I'm outta here. 

Post #187869012th Nov 2017 10:36 pm
maplecottage

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Mine often did it even with a new Bosch battery but it was down to short journeys.

One thing I found would always (does always) help - turn OFF the climate control / AC when starting. Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #187885313th Nov 2017 2:20 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

What is the voltage running at for the first say 5 miles?

Post #187897713th Nov 2017 6:50 pm
MGCarr

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Do you have a cubby box fridge installed and switched on? I find that although mine cuts off early enough to protect the battery in warm weather it gets very marginal in colder conditions.

1997 Defender 90 for the kids and I to have a go at some competitive off road RTV and Tyro trials, daughter picked up her first trophy over the August Bank Holiday.
Previous Land Rover history
1996 P38 4.6 V8 Autobiography
1996 Discovery TDi 300
1972 Range Rover 3.5 V8
LWB Hard Top Series 3
LWB Truck Cab Series 2A
Not been without a Land Rover for over 40 years - I must need therapy! 

Post #187899213th Nov 2017 7:25 pm
Chris1969

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Alveston RedDiscovery 3

Sorry folks.. thanks for all of the replies. Not being rude honest, just manic busy haha.

Journeys are a mix of short and long... but evem after drivinf it for 10 minutes, its fine when I start it again.

Ive had this problem every year since ive had it (2011) and ive replaced the battery and the alternator kinda just incase, but ive continued to have the same problem when it gets cold.

Last couple of years, ive put my ctek on every week or so and its been fine doing that... which I guess I can just carry on doing, but would like to get to the bottom of it.

I thinknive either just got onw thats doesnt like the cold (which would seem daft) or ive got a drain somewhere which becomes more obvious in the winter months maybe....

When i get out of the car of an eveing, I turn off the radio, auto wipers and air con to see if that helps.

When I got in the car this morning, voltage on my little meter on the car said 10.4v. Started fine other than the usual 'special progs off' and sat nav blank... but it went straight up to 13.6v after it started and was fine when I stopped where I was going and started it again 10 minutes later.

Thinkinf I may just have to stick to putting my ctek on every week or so over the winter..
 .. still learning Surprised)

Isofix car seat, Isofix baby seat base, crushed carpet crisps, sticky leather seats (next to Isofix car seat), upgraded front rubber cup holder things, wired up USB charge and audio for my iphone, side steps, de-tango'd lights, H7 OSRAM Nighbreakers, LED side lights, LED reverse lights, clear repeaters, Narpy Grill... tools I don't know how to use.... yet.. 

Post #188322124th Nov 2017 7:24 pm
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I find doing a double glow plug, fixs the problem and improves starts on a cold morning

Post #188329424th Nov 2017 10:07 pm
OJ

Scotland 
Re: Disco not liking the cold - electrical problems

Chris1969 wrote:
Hi folks...

Think there has been some posts in the past on this, but wondered if anyone has had the same issue as me and if they resolved it.

Each year when the temperature starts to drop, I start to have electrical faults flag up. I get handbrake faults, special programme faults, no sat nav available, black screen.

Car starts ok... and I even changed the battery and alternator a year or so but I still have the same issue each year.

Ive got a HSE with a factory fit DVD in the roof at the back..... so Im wondering if there is something draining some juice overnight or is it simply my motor doesnt like the cold.

If anyone has any ideas, im all ears haha.

Thanks folks...

Robbie did a great write up here
http://www.disco4.com/forum/post1366423.html

Might help trace any battery drain but at 10.8v I agree with Narpy think your battery is suspect,
Thumbs Up OJ

Post #188330424th Nov 2017 10:35 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >