Advertise on DISCO4.COM
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO4.COM > In Car Electronics (D3)

Disco swallows phone calls... (bluetooth)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Does you D3 keep the connection to a Bluetooth phone alive, but connect the call to the speakers?
Yes, my D3 does the same, I have bluetooth landrover rage like you
75%
 75%  [9]
No, mine works like the perfect gentleman, and will only keep the bluetooth linked when it will process the call
25%
 25%  [3]
Total Votes: 12

TallPaul

United Kingdom 
Disco swallows phone calls... (bluetooth)

SO

If I stop the car, get out (with key), phone rings, I answer, the Disco has not let go of the bluetooth to the phone, but, does not activate the speakers or the mic so I can talk to the other person. So I am happily jabbering away hello, HELLO into the phone, and they can't hear me, and I can't hear them, as the bluetooth kit is active but not playing the sound.

Same happens unlocking, twas in the supermarket car park (thats considered off-road in berkshire) and just unlocked Disco, phone rings, answer phone, same again BT car kit has woken up, but its not putting the sound through the speakers. I can turn on ignition to get the sound, or fight through the phone's many menu's to disconnect the car kit (its a blackberry - standard issue not my choice).

This is slowy starting to drive me insane. The Sony BT car kit in my Alfa (aftermarket, fitted by moi) also says alive after you turn of the ignition, BUT, has the courtesy to actually activate the speaker and mic if the phone rings so you can hear the call and talk back to them, and then disconnects after a few minutes of the ignition going off if there is no call.

Has anyone else had this problem, that as soon as the car is awake, it activates the bluetooth link but not the speakers and mic, and as soon as you turn the ignition off it will not activate speakers and mic but holds the bluetooth open?

It even keeps the BT link if you lock the car, I can get a call in the house a few minutes after getting home and the bluetooth is still linked to the car on the drive, leaving me shouting HELLO HELLO

Does anyone else have this issue, or is ours busted?

Post #34390514th Sep 2008 9:56 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

On my iPhone 8) when I get a call, I can choose to have the Landrover the Speaker or the iPhone Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #34395514th Sep 2008 11:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pherplexed

United States 2013 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackLR4

I'm with Bodsy. But it's still highly annoying when you're talking on the phone, you unlock the car and boom...caller disappears - snatched by the car. Gets me every time!

Does anybody know the inner-workings of bluetooth to explain some things to me? When you get out of the car and lock it does the car initiate a 'kill' on the bluetooth connection or does it just turn off and the phone figures it out? On the flip side, when your phone attaches to the car, who initiates the handshake - who's looking for who? Does the car emit a signal and the phone picks it up or the other way around?

I'm curious because some days my iPhone battery drains to empty before lunchtime even gets here (other days it's just fine with the same amount of usage). I've narrowed it down to bluetooth. I'm wondering if the iPhone is going into bluetooth overdrive if leave the vicinity of the car before the connection is properly 'killed' causing my battery to drop. Or is that not how it works?
 2013 LR4 HSE lux | Santorini Black | 5.0 V8  
Post #34396715th Sep 2008 3:01 am
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

When the car wakes up, and initialises the BT, it looks for the last phone that was attached and reconnects it if it finds it. The car is the initiator.

bodsy - can you convince our IT department to change the 2000 blackberry's globally to iphones? Please? Wink

At least it would give an option. The blackberry does allow you to transfer the call to the handset when its connected to the car kit, but it was designed by someone why thinks windows menu in a menu in a menu is user friendly....

So, its not just me then... seems like it is a fault with the bluetooth in that the module connects but the sound does not come through. Might ask dealer... then again might have more luck asking the bloke that drives the sandwich van near the office...

Post #34401915th Sep 2008 9:42 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

I don't think it's how it works (I'm sure Wiggs will be along soon to explain in great detail Smile )
If you are on a call and you turn the ignition off, it seems to keep the radio on because it knows you are on a call. if you are not on a call, the BT seems to still be on, but switches off when the car goes to sleep (about 2 minutes)
Your BT on the phone will keep searching (low power) to try to find something to connect to.
Perhaps on the days your battery drains, are you sitting in an office with other blutooth users so it's always trying to connect?

I generally have had to change my habits and ensure I always put my iPhone on charge when I'm in the office or near a plug!

You can get a PowerMonkey & Kensington do a bettery charging pack for when you have no power supply.

power monkey http://www.amazon.co.uk/Powermonkey-Explor...d_sbs_ce_1

kensington pack THIS http://us.kensington.com/html/15462.html
or THIS http://us.kensington.com/html/15458.html

Spotted the Kensington ones in Schipol airport, might get one when I'm over there next.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #34402015th Sep 2008 9:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Bodsy - this (if you turn of iginition while on the phone radio stays on/call active through speakers) is not how our Disco works, if you turn of ignition during a call, call is active on bluetooth, but it kills radio and the sound.

This IS exactly how my aftermarket kit in our other car works though, and how I would expect the Disco to work!

This is why I wondered if ours was playing up, but sounds like the entire design is pants...

Post #34402915th Sep 2008 10:15 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

Certainly i've seen better integration in a Vauxhall Astra!
 Bodsys Brake Bible

BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush

See It Here 

Post #34403115th Sep 2008 10:17 am
jas_williams

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

TallPaul wrote:
The blackberry does allow you to transfer the call to the handset when its connected to the car kit, but it was designed by someone why thinks windows menu in a menu in a menu is user friendly.....

To change the blackberry from LR to Handset when on the call Press the menu button looks like a ring of stones...

then select use handset

Not difficult but a pain for sure.

Jason

Post #34421415th Sep 2008 5:26 pm
id@53

Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

My 08MY does the same thing and I did find it very frustrating initially but then I noticed an option on my Nokia E65 display to switch to HANDSET (it says LOUDSP when the phone is being used away from the Bluetooth system). This option temporarily drops the Bluetooth connection to the car and I can use my handset normally. The Bluetooth connection is then automatically reestablished when the call is ended, if the car system is still awake.
 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
Alfa Romeo GT Blackline 1.9 JTD
Alfa Romeo Alfasud 1.5Ti QV - a labour of love 

Post #34422115th Sep 2008 5:40 pm
TallPaul

United Kingdom 

Hi Jason,

Yeah, its a pain though, and my blackberry is really slow, its at least 15 seconds from ringing to getting the call into the handset - sometimes people hang up.

It really gets to me, not just because it still won't sync the phonebook either!

At least I am not alone, might ask the dealer, should be good for a laugh if I am passing one afternoon!

Post #34471816th Sep 2008 5:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >